• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wx / Drought

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might as well keep this thread alive... cause this drought is staying very much alive...

10 day models, if they come to fruition will have the majority of us bending over and grabbing our ankles!

On the topic of government supports, perhaps free yoga would be of benefit, and a complimentary 5gal pail of that water based lube they use for ultrasounds. That way we'll be all stretched out, relaxed, and limbered up for that inevitable moment where we'll be asking whether or assholes are now punched or bored.

Comment

This last one doesn't include the latest round of precipitation on the hwy2 corridor, but it still rings true for us.

Comment

GDPS is my most despised weather model, but for some reason it seemsto be the only one that had factored the dry basis into it... GFS, and FV3, and for that matter the long range ECMWF always seems to plug moisture into the drought stricken areas, only to be taken out in the short range models.

If this comes to fruition over the next 10 days, who out there can withstand no moisture? I've got *decent* moisture still available in the 4-24" horizon, but some mustard is stranded in dry soil, and peas just never seem to be able to root deep enough to drag up what's necessary when it cant get what it needs in the top 6".

Cereals are in the "thirsty" stage of growth right now, and need a dose of in crop. Part of me feels like spraying is going to cost me twice... the upfront cost, but also it'll be killing that which can go into a bale. What to do?

Some acres im renting come with a no-bale clause which im fine with, but others do not. So no spray and go for bales? Or spray like I'm hoping to combine and hope like hell it rains?

Optimism is quickly eroding!

Comment

GDPS 10 day precip

Comment

Also have 4 lds of uncontacted yellow mustard... will need 1 load to pay harvest bills, but could rug my cash advance and hold into next year. What are guys seeing for mustard crops in their neighborhood? Mine are looking tough. 60-75% germ at best. Riddled with flea beetle damage. On the fence about whether to spray the last 235 for beetles... what is up seems to be keeping ahead of them, but anything coming late will be very vulnerable.

This year is looking less and less like the one where I achieve financial independence... lottery tickets have a better chance of winning, compared to the rain lottery!

Comment

We are in much the same dry boat 🚣*♀️

I am just trying to keep the crop as clean as possible for as cheap as possible for now. If you have much for weed competition your crop has no hope .
              If you can keep it reasonably clean it most likely still has a chance for 7-10 days yet.
              The exception being the severe dry areas where the crop is written off already .
              MCPA amine very easy on cereals and may not get 100% if your weed spectrum but most likely 85-90

Comment

Day 12 -16 temps HOT

If that comes true we sure won't be in the middle of a three day rain....

Comment

Thankful to have better equipment and practices to deal with dry conditions than 1961 or eighties.
                  Recall straight cutting wheat in 1961, good clean summerfallow crop went 17 or 18 bushels, some crops with couchgrass competition not worth harvesting.
                  Good old wheat board days when we had carryover crop from 1960, got number one grade for that and new crop wheat. At that time there were six milling grades and feed for wheat, farmers said they had grown wheat in our area for decades and never got number one before.
                  Also recall a couple of times when wheat surplus built up and growers were not able to deliver it to the board under the quota system. Some sold it to other farmers who had extra quota or fed it to livestock. Some quality wheat was advertised for sale at sixty cents when growers with extra quota could get double that from the board. Producers were breaking the law when they sold grain to the board that the had not grown.

Comment

Maybe we can hang on .
                    No heat.
                    A few days of heat and wind and we go south in a hurry.
                    Sounds the same ,all over except the peace .
                    Look at the bright side .
                    Not a lot to spray.
                    Nothing coming for weeds.
                    Fungicide is not even a thought.
                    Surplus may turn into shortage.

We will teach India and China a lesson.
                    Screw you
                    Do what you want, we got nothing to sell you anyway.
                    So not the worst that could
                    Happen.
                    Last edited by sawfly1; Jun 9, 2019, 22:50.

Comment

Updated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pr_gs_av_s_e-3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	767360

Name:	pr_gs_ac_s_e.jpg
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	767361

Name:	pr_02m_spi_s_e.jpg
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	767362

Comment

This will make your day. https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/02/15/ottawa-gives-plastics-giant-35m-grant-despite-commitment-to-reduce-use-of-single-use-plastics.html https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/02/15/ottawa-gives-plastics-giant-35m-grant-despite-commitment-to-reduce-use-of-single-use-plastics.html

And https://twitter.com/Canadabuster/status/1138083509048881152 https://twitter.com/Canadabuster/status/1138083509048881152

If you actually want to be able to read and pick your precip maps, go here http://www.agr.gc.ca/DW-GS/current-actuelles.jspx?lang=eng&jsEnabled=true http://www.agr.gc.ca/DW-GS/current-actuelles.jspx?lang=eng&jsEnabled=true

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...