• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Climate change my ranch interesting

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climate change my ranch interesting

As you guys know im not a believer not a sceptic realist maybe.

Anyway some info scary maybe maybe not.

Been here since 1911 up till 1988 rainfall average was 14.5 inches per year.

1988 till 2018 rainfall is basically 12.5 inches a dramatic fall.

But long term average skews it a bit 13.93 inch average.

Cycle climate change who knows just putting some real life figures.

PS these figures could be rubbery as a few gaps in war years had to go by neighbours apparently.

Biggest change really is lack of summer rain storms which is dec jan and maybe nov.

But some parts of oz are increasing north of perth in WA parts of QLD and SE of SA and western vic.

Few other spots reverse have substantial drops like me.

Sure this will denergrate into a bitch fight but just putting some figures out there.

Some of you guys may be able to prove whats happening on your patch.

Not denying climate change, here on prairies, seems to have been going on for centuries and longer periods going back to ice ages and glaciation.
    Think of it as unpredictable as thunderstorm paths. Some summers their paths seem to converge over a location and other years to miss it.
    Human activity in causing climate change and what would have happened without it is pretty much unknown.

Comment

Overall grain production is still rising in OZ (with the exception of last year) as it has been in Canuckistan so climate change is not too scary. Even last year, Australian production was not bad even in the drought scenario so obviously the climate is still fairly benign. It is frustrating when conditions suck on your farm but are significantly better just up the road. Such was the case at my farm these past few years. However, conditions in general were not bad given that crop production was fairly good in general. What is far more scary then climate change is the disappearance of export markets. If present conditions persist, we will drown in surplus production.

Comment

5 years ago maybe 6 the world was consuming more wheat than produced fast foward to 2019/20 projected 300 mill tonne or there abouts carryover.

Dont take to many good years to make prices recede.

As i stated climate change who knows just some interesting figures at my patch.

Yeah and world wide farmers getting better at producing more on less rain and land.

Modern farming methods and better breeding i guess.

Some of latest chem technology allows farmers to sow by the calendar and spray weeds later that were once deemed impossible to kill.

Ever changing world for better or for worse.

Domestically prices still around 300 per tonne new seasons crop here thats dec 19 delivery drought induced basis.

cheers all https://www.afr.com/business/agriculture/australian-wheat-exports-near-a-50-year-low-20190512-p51mfo https://www.afr.com/business/agriculture/australian-wheat-exports-near-a-50-year-low-20190512-p51mfo
        Last edited by malleefarmer; May 12, 2019, 19:19.

Comment

We farm in a "rain shadow" area and weather has to come from correct angles for us to score.

May have been ajl said sucks to be dry and just up the road better not quite like that our region "SA Mallee" is about not sure 160 kms by 200kms maybe whole area is in a drying trend.

Were actually meant to be in wetter part of the dry area....

WA is grain bowl of australia produced maybe 60 to 70% of last years crop.
          Have a few mates over there and acquaintances ive forged a freindship with over the years last 30 to 35 years WA has missed out maybe 3 maybe 4 times. Cutting edge of modern farming techniques pioneered no till farming etc cutting edge management to minimize herbicide resistance as well. Just the tyranny of distance over there is a issue.

If i was a younger man and hindsight should have would have shifted to a place called esperance or about 3 to 40 kms north or nw of the place.

Think ive got off topic.
          Last edited by malleefarmer; May 12, 2019, 19:17.

Comment

I vaguely remember going through Esperance when I was in Australia in the early 80's.

There were many areas of Australia that I really liked. But I do think Western Australia felt the most like western Canada with the large fields and wide open area.

Comment

hmmm
              Click image for larger version

Name:	D6Z3sWaU8AAsjMb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	767292

Comment

25 yrs of extremely stable weather from mid 50's to 1980.

That must be the weather we are trying to buy.

The sun doesn't effect the weather, but can anyone post the sunspot activity chart for those years?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...