• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unused modern hog barn non hog usage

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unused modern hog barn non hog usage

Had a friend call me and ask me what non hog usage would make any sense in a fairly new 100 by 200 hog barn. He's married into a family that built a barn in the last big pig expansion I think he said pinnacle but since they went under the barn became dormant his father in law told him he could have it to use if he could come up with a viable business plan. Building is located within a hour of a major city.
    I said maybe aquaculture perhaps a marijuana facility if they could get partnership and zoning.
    Also suggested a retirement home for JT and a bunch of his Hench liberals in October.
    Thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by mcfarms; Apr 26, 2019, 20:46.

Greenhouse. Vegetables.

Jenbacher power/heat/co2 plant.

Tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers are your highest margin produce.

Raising it hydroponically and having tilapa in tanks is a good idea also. The fish naturally fertilize and clean the water. This works best in a circulatory system.

Another option is microgreens... Door to door delivery

Keep in mind aero and hydro ponics can not br certified organic in Canada.

If you want more info lemme know

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarms View Post
      Had a friend call me and ask me what non hog usage would make any sense in a fairly new 100 by 200 hog barn. He's married into a family that built a barn in the last big pig expansion I think he said pinnacle but since they went under the barn became dormant his father in law told him he could have it to use if he could come up with a viable business plan. Building is located within a hour of a major city.
      I said maybe aquaculture perhaps a marijuana facility if they could get partnership and zoning.
      Also suggested a retirement home for JT and a bunch of his Hench liberals in October.
      Thoughts anyone?
      With what’s happening in the world, why wouldn’t he put hogs in it?

Comment

I vote for the fish farm! Sounds like fun. A couple PMU barns out here did that conversion when the PMU thing hit the skids.

Comment

rec facility. Courts and turf in the summer, hockey ice and soccer field in the winter. Too expensive to heat for any other use. An hour out might be a problem but people drive a long way for sports.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
            rec facility. Courts and turf in the summer, hockey ice and soccer field in the winter. Too expensive to heat for any other use. An hour out might be a problem but people drive a long way for sports.
            Or a shooting range.

Comment

Lots of hog barns converted to sheep here, particularly if it’s a city with a decent ethnic market. I’d take another look at hogs too

Comment

Wouldn't it be better used as a machine and work shop assuming they have a grain operation as well.

Comment

How high are the walls?

Comment

Marijuana would be the only logical choice in this political and economic environment.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                      How high are the walls?
                      Good question, but what would stop someone from jacking the building up???? Cost???

Comment

Pharma, it all depends on how much you inhale!

Comment

Near a lake? Start a worm farm. Bait is a growing business as fishing gains popularity. Your aquaculture idea might find a more stable market raising minnows and smelts again for bait. People will pay for recreation but squeal about paying for food. You'd also avoid the food safety issues.

Comment

Originally posted by checking View Post
                            Pharma, it all depends on how much you inhale!
                            Good to know.

Comment

How about mushrooms? With emphasis on eating local, mushrooms might be a good opportunity.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...