• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valtera vs Authority 480

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valtera vs Authority 480

Looking for input as to experiences with the two chemicals. Have a half section that is going to be polluted with groups 2,4,9 resistant kochia that blew off a neighbors field, so looking for something that will give me some decent control in yellow peas.

Rate i'm seeing listed in the AB blue book for Valtera spring applied is 57g/ac, but they list a 85g/ac rate if fall applied. Guys getting decent control at 57g/ac in the spring? Spraying before seeding and including in burnoff mix? or burning off, then spraying just after seeding? Books says must use minimum tillage if applying before seeding. Does 3" spread boot on 9" spacing qualify?

Authority lists kochia as controlled at 89ml/ac. Is there decent control at this level? Should a guy bump it up to the 118ml rate, hoping to control buckwheat pigweed etc, and hope you dont have to do a pass of viper/odyssey?

Any input would be much appreciated.

We've used Authority, I think its pricey for what it does. But I do like the kochia control.

If you want, go to 40 acres per jug. The low rate is 43 acres per jug and the high rate is 32....that gets real pricey. Costs are about $14-$18/ac....depending what you have to pay for the stuff....shop around!

Sprayed on after seeding would probably provide the best control(uniform layer), probably prevent strip misses from the openers "furrowing" treated soil during seeding if applied preseeding.

You will need .25 to .33 of an inch of rain to activate it, it can lay there and wait because it doesn't photo-degrade, but won't control much either without the activating precip.

We will start using more pre-emerge herbicides because of herbicide group resistance, 1 & 2.
    We bought a used heavy harrow with mounted Valmar. Time to start mixing things up a bit more.

Good luck this spring Helmsdale.
    Last edited by farmaholic; Mar 29, 2019, 12:46.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

You will need .25 to .33 of an inch of rain to activate it, it can lay there and wait because it doesn't photo-degrade, but won't control much either without the activating precip.

We will start using more pre-emerge herbicides because of herbicide group resistance, 1 & 2.
      We bought a used heavy harrow with mounted Valmar. Time to start mixing things up a bit more.

.25-.33"... sometimes hard to come by, but if preburn is done, there shouldn't be anything growing if it doesn't rain...

Frost free from the surface to between 15" and 18". I've seeded with less frost free than that before... April 1 is a touch early though.

Comment

Had good results with Authority kochia control at low rate even on saline ground where not much else grew for the entire season. High rate controlled cleavers and buckwheat.
        Year of application at high rate was fairly dry and was concerned about following with canola the next year. Did it any way and it yielding well. However I do think the Authority touched the canola a wee bit. Normal rains I wouldn't be concerned.
        Never used Valtera. Looks a little better for carry over concerns

Comment

I have used Authority for a few years on peas and soybeans.
          If your weed pressure is relatively low at seeding, I would wait and put it on pre-emerge. Eliminates strips on your rows and gets you an extra week of residual activity in crop.
          I've been happy with it. Last year I used it (40a./jug) on a field of soybeans that I knew has a few sour patches prone to kochia. Just a few smaller kochia plants survived in those bad areas.
          I hear good things about Valterra as well. I think its very comparable to Authority.

Comment

How would Heat Complete compare to Authority or Valtera ?

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
              How would Heat Complete compare to Authority or Valtera ?
              Never even knew it existed until now. Just looking it up. Definitely like the re-cropping restrictions, or lack thereof.

Has anyone really had any experience with valtera? Seems Authority has been around long enough to get some input on it, but anybody tried valtera?

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                Never even knew it existed until now. Just looking it up. Definitely like the re-cropping restrictions, or lack thereof.

Has anyone really had any experience with valtera? Seems Authority has been around long enough to get some input on it, but anybody tried valtera?
                Had Baltera and Authority side by side 2 years ago .
                Very similar

Comment

Heat, Authority and Valtera are all group 14 with different active ingredients, they don't all cover the same crops and weeds, sometimes it might only be because the research hasn't been done but I don't know if I'd take the chance thinking you can substitute one for the other.

"Always read and follow label directions"

Watch the cropping restrictions with Authority, corn, sorghum and lentils can only be seeded 24 months after application.....then in drought conditions I believe these products can persist even longer.

DYODD.

Comment

Tried Valterra 2 years ago. Had seeded peas and was looking for volunteer canola and annual sow thistle control. Sprayed it on after I seeded and got 3/4” rain on it 2 days later.

Was really disappointed. Volunteer canola grew within a week of spraying viper. Way too short a residual. That is dark brown soil with lots of clay.

In researching it appears that the higher the clay the shorter the residual time.

I have no kochia so no idea on the control.

Comment

Originally posted by poorboy View Post
                      Tried Valterra 2 years ago. Had seeded peas and was looking for volunteer canola and annual sow thistle control. Sprayed it on after I seeded and got 3/4” rain on it 2 days later.

Was really disappointed. Volunteer canola grew within a week of spraying viper. Way too short a residual. That is dark brown soil with lots of clay.

In researching it appears that the higher the clay the shorter the residual time.

I have no kochia so no idea on the control.
                      Were you in the right rate range for your soil type, won't the herbicide bind too tightly to the high clay soils?

Comment

Were you in the right rate range for your soil type, won't the herbicide bind too tightly to the high clay soils?
                        Was at the label rate at that time. Rates might have changed, I tried it the first spring it was available.

It might even be on the label that “fine” soils have limited residual. Valterra might be weak on volunteer canola anyway and perhaps residual on other weeds would be better.

Comment

We've used Authority, I think its pricey for what it does. But I do like the kochia control.

If you want, go to 40 acres per jug. The low rate is 43 acres per jug and the high rate is 32....that gets real pricey. Costs are about $14-$18/ac....depending what you have to pay for the stuff....shop around!

Sprayed on after seeding would probably provide the best control(uniform layer), probably prevent strip misses from the openers "furrowing" treated soil during seeding if applied preseeding.

Dumb question farma with your spraying do you increase your speed and pressure stays constant or vice versa see you speak of acres per jug and figure it must be one or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                            Dumb question farma with your spraying do you increase your speed and pressure stays constant or vice versa see you speak of acres per jug and figure it must be one or the other.
                            Once decided how much we are going to apply, the application rate of the herbicide on a per acre rate is çonstant, "X" grams active ingredients per acre. Then we decide how many gallons per acre of the solution we are going to apply... 5, 7.5 or 10 gallons per acre or whatever, here is were you need to pick a nozzle that is capable of applying the solution at the volume you chose at the speed you want to travel. Since all nozzles have an acceptable operating range for which it was designed, pick one which has it's optimum application rate that matches the rate(speed and operating pressure) at which you want to apply. Then if you vary your spraying speed, a bit faster or slower, the sprayer's auto rate controller will compensate for the faster or slower speeds.

That was kinda the old school method.

Guys are using pulsating tip technology where every nozzle has a pulsating solenoid incorporated into the nozzle body that delivers more or less product through the nozzle according to application speed. I think the sprayer's auto rate controller delivers a more constant pressure and the nozzles do most of the rate adjusting(according to travel speed) in such a system. This technology has even evolved to the point that if you are going around an obstacle the nozzles on the outside of the boom, that are in essence traveling faster than the inside ones, will pulsate at different speeds to apply the correct amount of solution per acre across the boom. Lots of additional wiring and moving parts(solenoids) with this system. But it eliminates large section "sectional control" as each nozzle will shut off independently as it approaches an area that has already been sprayed. Our sprayer isn't fitted with this feature so we operate using the first one I explained,

So in theory, we don't increase or decrease our speeds or pressure to change application rates, if we picked the correct nozzle size, the sprayer compensates for the changes in speed we travel by increasing or decreasing spraying pressure, the job of the auto rate controller.

Choose the herbicide application rate, choose the volume of the solution you want to apply, use the approriate nozzle and let the sprayer do the rest. I think I complicated the response, lol.
                            Last edited by farmaholic; Mar 30, 2019, 08:09.

Comment

Just unusual to here the acre per jug.

We buy chems mostly in 110 litres or at times 1000 lt shuttles

If you need to put in 63 litres of product a and 27 litres of product b and 3.5 litres of product c we do it that wereas you guys simplify it.

Not a criticism just a observation

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...