• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

April 1st "National Cancel your 2019 Canola Seed Day".

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Big sale we did in Fall and January make my marketing year look like a Genius so far.

This worries me and we are looking for other things to plant. Back to normal rotation.

Comment

We were warned back in Jan that this was not going to end well.
      We have about 10% left .
      Lets all hope that something changes big time .

Comment

*** canola council playing politics, nominated that failed ostrich farmer a lifetime member this week, yeah, like the liberals wont take notice . glad i get all my canola check offs back and away from these fools.

Comment

We just lost 40% of our market share in China. So again explain how Canola seed is justified at the price it is today. Or explain the 20% hit we have taken on the price of our Canola Today from the high.

It's sick but I bet Trudeau would get a wake-up call if Bayer and BASF and Dekalb came to a calling. Farmers No we mean jack shit to anyone but big boys lose money. Wow, subsidy here we come.

I can control what I seed, what I put for fertilizer and what I spray and my land costs plus equipment.

But like the Carbon tax, seed tax and Stupid politicians I can't protect my farm from these and pass on the costs of their stupidity.

Comment

Still too soon to change seeding plan because of China situation.
            Two months before too late, lots of time for circumstances to change.

Comment

Her court Date is the end of May nothing will happen till mid-June and by then China and USA will have a deal. We will be shipping Canola at a discount to the USA and then loaded onto ships to China.

Thank a Liberal they are all so smart.

Comment

I'm thinking of calling my retailer and stating that I am cancelling my canola seed. Please call me back when you have negotiated at least 25% off the price, and I will repurchase a portion. If there is as much being cancelled as I am hearing ( just talk to any cereal seed growers if you are in doubt), they will be at risk of having huge volumes of canola seed being returned and unused.

They might just be motivated to move some at any price eventually. And if not, I don't need to seed any. Feed barley and feed wheat pencilled better in 2018, and a tie in 2017.

Comment

Alberta I like that approach.

Cancel all seed till you get a 25% discount or switch out to something else.

Comment

Alberta I like that approach.

Cancel all seed till you get a 25% discount or switch out to something else.

Comment

Maybe run some canola through the cleaners, I wonder what 233pbb brown bag grows like. Lots of guys were doing it when canola was 6 bucks in the mid 2000s

Comment

SCIC released their base price a month too early it seems. At $10.60 or whatever it is and the current situation, wonder how that plays out for them.....

We haven’t done anything yet with canola acres but its definately on the radar. Have enough peas and wheat cleaned to switch at any moment. Will wait and see.

Comment

I am cleaning enough Oats for 1000 acres.

Enough wheat for 6000 acres.

Barley for 1000 acres.

Canola could be as low as 2000 acres and that will be a drop of 3000.

Cinderella didn't lose her shoe she got slaughtered on the way home from the Ball.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                            Cinderella didn't lose her shoe she got slaughtered on the way home from the Ball.
                            Theres no leads in the first 48 hours. Will end up as a cold case.....sorry wife watches too many crime shows.

Comment

To play devils advocate here. What if everyone is scared out and significantly reduces acres? Far as I’m concerned we all should cut acres 40%. In the days when most land farmed was owned and operating overhead lower this would be easy for a lot to do. I just wonder how much guys can cut back even if it is $8. I fear barley and oat acres will go up and flood an easily saturated market. China closes off barley sales and there’ll be a bunch of sub $2 barley. I know what I can do with my fenced land but my good bare quarters with no fence is what I’m grappling with now. For the fenced land the cows can graze some oats in the summer or winter and then I can renovate some old grass. Last time grain was in the tank a lot of that land grew hay and ran cows.

I just had a thought if the government wants us all green and what not maybe they subsidize the farmers to green manure a percentage of their ground. Kinda like crp but a shorter time frame. Could graze it or leave it to cover the ground. Could get around nafta by saying it’s to help fight climate change.

Comment

Is Otto Lang still alive. Maybe we could revive his , “Lift Program”. ( Maybe we could lift a few trools up to the moon and give them a new home too)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...