• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Herbicide Tolerant Lentil Variety Available 2006?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, charliep, BIGGER is the trend. Farmer investment in bigger can be decimated by a sharp rise in interest rates. Will appear when we least expect it, and we carry the risk. BETTER can make money for the farmer, is my observation, and it will improve Stats Canada's figure of $959.00/yrlyavg earned income from the markets. Would you go so far to say LESS and BETTER?

Parsley

Comment

Parsley;

The future will be in co-operation... which is simply a reorginisation of smaller farms into a structure of co-operation which can volume purchase, market, and manage more efficiently resourses which create food.

This takes a humble spirit by everyone involved... if Joint Ventures are to benefit economically.

I understand the Sask. Pulse Growers are to spend $600,000.00/ year from their own levy, to give to plant breeders for royalties instead of selling seed at higher prices.

My understanding is that this will apply to both CDC Saskatoon varieties as well as Private varieties.

This is an attempt to move to an EU/Ausie type system of seed development, where seed development cost is collected at the point of sale of the commercial produce rather than certified seed sales themselves.

SHOULD all of our grain seeds be funded and levy/royalty be collected in this manner?

Comment

Re: Tom4, the pulse industry should be a model for others to follow in this respect. I have been in the canola seed industry for over 10 years, and what I see as a farmer and a seedsman disturbs me.
        As for Clearfield lentils, no big advantage, most producers are already pursuit on lentils or as a pre-burn with r/up. Works far better and safer than sencor.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...