• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seed costs for canola out of line with latest shit show with China.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If its too expensive, don't buy it.

Comment

Sad to say but at seeding time $700 bags of the shit will be flocked out the doors of retailers in droves. We are all ****ing sheep thinking it’ll get better blah blah blah! Same shit different day. Some areas like ours in the black soil zone with lots of rocks, hills, and shorter season don’t do well with peas for obvious reasons. Lentils, flax etc don’t work period. All else we have is cereals and cow forage or pasture. Not many cow farmers left. If a guy is renting most their ground and has a lot of equipment payments which accounts for a sizeable portion of producers the storm will be perfect. My own figures with most land owned and a reasonable equipment investment per acre coupled with fairly conservative inputs and a long term yield average; there is nothing much for profit considering how much inputs are. I have nightmares of a sea of wheat oats and barley with no home let alone a decent price. I have half a mind to cut planned canola acres in half to my best ground and seed a cereal for summer grazing on the poorest land and renovate some old grass. Maybe buy some more cows. Without canola being at least a profitable option here there is not much else other than cows. I really feel for the straight grain guys. It sucks! Like the BSE thing that nearly broke my ass coupled with that drought. It was out of your control and you stood there watching it all crumble around you.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
        There is probably 50,000 ac of canola grown in gooddales riding every year. Evraz steel isn't in even in his riding and I doubt anyone but top management live in Wascana.
        I have 3 neighbors that plant 50,000 acres of canola! Not Goodales riding, but anybody who has been farming any length of time must realize the government doesnt give a f%*k about farmers. When I started farming we were the scourge of the earth. Cash poor, mainstream society thought we were getting new trucks from the government. It was pretty weird, but I could see that primary ag was going to have to change.
        That was the real push with progressive farmers increased in productivity and efficiency. I think they did well. Equity growth. Farmland has doubled or tripled in value. Plus somebody must have put away a few dollars somewhere. Even Gary Pike made money on a total failure!
        If it goes badly for a couple of years, the farmers that overpaid for farmland will goto FCC and get a write down like they have in the past. Rent it for 6 years, then buy it back for half the price they originally promised to pay.
        So, really its for the better. They will get to own the same land for a lower price.

Comment

Hobby it won’t happen this time.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post

I think it will...was hoping it wouldn't. ...but the lenders are all new at the offices....most don't know shit about the last series of writedowns because they were not born yet....

But the guys loading up on debt know the procedure .....build everything on one home quarter. ..then let one member take the fall. ....

He's still going to be farming with the same stuff because the machinery stored in sheds is another member...

The loan officers are all wet behind the ears....

Comment

It won’t because this time the banks have all the cards. Section 427 of the bank act gave it to them. Farmers signed up to get operating loans.

Corporations were created.

All file a set of books that are audited by a accountant.

Banks hold the cards.

Lied or fudged on grain or cash you do jail time .

They learnt the last time.

It won’t happen.

Comment

What I found annoying was getting a text from an input retailer saying canola seed prices were going up, in light of and despite of the current situation.

Are retailers and SeedCos that detached from reality?

There is no shortage of seed, the odd variety may be sold out but there is likely more than enough seed to seed intended acres. What those leaches want is a commitment AND your money months in advance of being able to use the seed, and if you don't give them what they want....it will simply cost you more, sounds like ****en extorsion to me.

**** OFF SeedCos and high pressure retailers.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  What I found annoying was getting a text from an input retailer saying canola seed prices were going up, in light of and despite of the current situation.

Are retailers and SeedCos that detached from reality?

There is no shortage of seed, the odd variety may be sold out but there is likely more than enough seed to seed intended acres. What those leaches want is a commitment AND your money months in advance of being able to use the seed, and if you don't give them what they want....it will simply cost you more, sounds like ****en extorsion to me.

**** OFF SeedCos and high pressure retailers.
                  👍 well said. Next year if things turn around we’ll get the same old seed back for the price of new. I had signed up for some Truflex but probably send that one packing if China is pulling these tricks. They’re likely to pull approval of that too.

We’ve had a good run in ag here the last 12 years or so. Enough money came in to entice a new generation to get in with an un jaded view of ag, willing to go all out. Now old dogs come home to die.

Comment

Ah how we go round and round and round.

This semiretirement thing isn’t bad.

Dealing at home on a quarter not a care in the world if I get or not.

Comment

How come some northern quarters are assesd as high or higher than flat heavy clay quarters to the south.

Ah a owner who for 50 years wanting to sell vs a guy just trying to make a living.

Yea it’s a fair system land assessment.

Comment

How come some northern quarters are assesd as high or higher than flat heavy clay quarters to the south.

$550k per quarter here south of Regina. Take that money invested in the company that crossed my land with a pipeline (Enbridge) is more money than farming the land.

Comment

It is we averaged 7.2 on some and I think 5 across the board.

Not much risk and home in Florida is up 12% and home in Regina according to the neighbour that just sold three buyers bid war and sold for 9% more than asking. They needed a few things like heated garage and sprinklers and finished basement plus marble and tile.

And on the farm canola unprofitable, wheat and barley barely and peas we’ll just don’t grow is a option.

Equipment up

Seed up

Fert. Up

Chemical up

Diesel up

Actually every thing thanks to a useless carbon tax.

Slapaliberal

Comment

Sure it will
                            They need to keep enough sheeple around that will actually do the work

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                              Sure it will
                              They need to keep enough sheeple around that will actually do the work
                              What the **** do you mean.... the office guys for the One earth, Broad acre and others don't operate equipment???????

hahaha....

Comment

https://outline.com/R9NBBh How a thaw in U.S.-China trade feud could leave Canada out in the cold

The collateral damage from preferential Chinese purchases could extend to other sectors, including agriculture, where there is significant overlap between what Canada and the United States sell. Both countries are major exporters of wheat, oil seeds, beef, pork and other farm commodities. Both countries also export civilian aircraft to China.

Buh bye Canada, courtesy of the Liberals.
                                Last edited by jazz; Mar 11, 2019, 13:35.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...