• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metric Wrenches

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i find torx less likely to strip

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

Could you imagine if there was a metric conversion for the time of day, months, etc.
      My red headed Irish grandmother with a temper to match, wasn't very pleased with the introduction of metric, so, my Dad casually mentioned how complicated it was going to be to get used to the new metric hours, minutes, days, months. It was probably a good thing Pierre Elliot wasn't in the room at the time, to hear the reaction...
      Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

Long tonnes short tons, anything in Canada sell by the short ton anymore, hay?

In one of the most absurd paradoxes, most hay( at least around here) sells by the bale, regardless of weight or size, most buyers only care how much per bale. So most sellers seem to make the smallest loosest bales possible, but as long as they advertise that it is made with a JD baler, that is all that matters. I make massive tight bales, and I've tried selling by the pound, or ton, but no one cares.

Comment

In one of the most absurd paradoxes, most hay( at least around here) sells by the bale, regardless of weight or size, most buyers only care how much per bale. So most sellers seem to make the smallest loosest bales possible, but as long as they advertise that it is made with a JD baler, that is all that matters. I make massive tight bales, and I've tried selling by the pound, or ton, but no one cares.[/QUOTE]

Yep its crazy. I also like it when you ask how much the bales weigh, they are always 1500 to 1800lbs their balers have never made anything lighter. (Until you weigh a couple and they are 1200lbs) No one has a clue.

Interestingly though a lot of the straw baled around here the last couple years was sold by the ton, but agree hay almost always by the bale.

Comment

Oh dear I have cursed Trudeau one for 50 years, still say the ROT IN HELL phrase when metric frustration rears it's UGLY LIBERAL head!
          However the DUMBEST SHIT idea is the Philips screw! Should be illegal, but instead the USA banned Robertson! It's who you bribe...
          Last edited by fjlip; Feb 23, 2019, 12:03.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
            Oh dear I have cursed Trudeau one for 50 years, still say the ROT IN HELL phrase when metric frustration rears it's UGLY LIBERAL head!
            However the DUMBEST SHIT idea is the Philips screw! Should be illegal, but instead the USA banned Robertson! It's who you bribe...
            Robertson was a Canadian with a far superior screwdriver who went to batt against an inferior screwdriver for the military contract but didn’t have the credent ear of the US govt like Philips did. I guess in retrospect we have been fortunate to have more Robertson screws here as opposed to our American counterparts. Hard to find a decent philips that fits properly and itself doesn’t wear in the tip. A poor Robertson will outlast a poor philips any day.

Comment

Which one of these three inventions helped agriculture and industry the most . . . . .

- hydraulics

- diesel engines

- welder
              Last edited by rumrocks; Feb 23, 2019, 15:40.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                In one of the most absurd paradoxes, most hay( at least around here) sells by the bale, regardless of weight or size, most buyers only care how much per bale. So most sellers seem to make the smallest loosest bales possible, but as long as they advertise that it is made with a JD baler, that is all that matters. I make massive tight bales, and I've tried selling by the pound, or ton, but no one cares.
                Yep its crazy. I also like it when you ask how much the bales weigh, they are always 1500 to 1800lbs their balers have never made anything lighter. (Until you weigh a couple and they are 1200lbs) No one has a clue.

Interestingly though a lot of the straw baled around here the last couple years was sold by the ton, but agree hay almost always by the bale.[/QUOTE]

I thought I was the only odd duck that bought by the pound and on analysis! Some guys confuse cows for bales - swear their cows are 1200lb and their bales 1600lbs when it's usually the other way around. An even crazier development on the bale weights is the more widespread use of wrapped silage bales. Lots of guys will happily pay $60 for a silage bale that contains half the feed of an "expensive" $90 hay bale. Don't seem to realize that using the water out of their own hydrant is cheaper and you don't have to truck it either!

Comment

I hope they get metric bolts and nuts standardized like the sae ones are. An 8mm diameter bolt should take wrench "x" a 10mm diameter bolt wrench "y". Right now gmc, ford, dodge, case, deere, etc all use different sized metric wrenches for the same diameter metric bolts.

My father in law used to complain years ago that British vehicles used odd sized wrenches that were in 32's of an inch. They finally did standardize that.

If the metric sizes were all the same wrenches, we would know by looking that it is a 13mm or 15mm or 18mm for example instead of the mess we have now.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post

Interestingly though a lot of the straw baled around here the last couple years was sold by the ton, but agree hay almost always by the bale.
                    I thought I was the only odd duck that bought by the pound and on analysis! Some guys confuse cows for bales - swear their cows are 1200lb and their bales 1600lbs when it's usually the other way around. An even crazier development on the bale weights is the more widespread use of wrapped silage bales. Lots of guys will happily pay $60 for a silage bale that contains half the feed of an "expensive" $90 hay bale. Don't seem to realize that using the water out of their own hydrant is cheaper and you don't have to truck it either![/QUOTE]

Per tonne is australia
                    Especially when its over $320 per tonne even straw currently is $150 per tonne

Comment

Originally posted by rumrocks View Post
                      Which one of these three inventions helped agriculture and industry the most . . . . .

- hydraulics

- diesel engines

- welder
                      Man's greatest inventions are few
                      Some are real clever
                      Like the the wheel and the lever
                      But more essential by far was the screw

Comment

What does Argentina use?

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
                          What does Argentina use?
                          Metric. Aside from USA maybe 2 other countries use standard measures.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                            Metric. Aside from USA maybe 2 other countries use standard measures.

I think all US made vehicles and main brand equipment is all metric now though, must be even more frustrating for Americans when their system is still Imperial. At least we "should" know and accept metric.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...