• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Organic, natural or gluten free

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organic, natural or gluten free

How many on agriville would buy products with these labels ahead of ones without them?
    For me, the only time might be when price is lower.
    Same applies to locally grown.

Originally posted by Hopalong View Post
    How many on agriville would buy products with these labels ahead of ones without them?
    For me, the only time might be when price is lower.
    Same applies to locally grown.
    No to organic
    No to natural
    Yes to gluten free. It is the only one that means anything and can be verified by reading the ingredient list.

Comment

I'll buy locally grown before anything.

The other three don't really matter to me. More likely to buy based on price, ingredients and processing than marketing labels like Organic, Natural, GMO free, etc.

Even the Gluten free label gets annoying. I would assume my potato chips are gluten free, but thanks for trying to sucker in dumb people by telling them that in big colourful letters.

Comment

Kinda like comes from or eat Alberta beef promotion now it's made with Alberta Wheat and Alberta Barley. If it works as a marketing tool guess it's okay but kinda insinuates that any thing else is inferior.

Comment

Organic or natural would be a tie breaker for making a purchase of equal price and quality. Problem is organic is always costlier and often looks like poorer quality. (Smaller, imperfect fruits etc.) Gluten free actually offends me as is perceived by many to be a healthier alternative which it is not.

I do often pay more for local / Canadian products, sometimes even for a substandard product just because it feels right but there is a price level where you have to walk away.

On a related note at one time I knew the local Radio Shack owners, always complaining people didn't buy local. One day I ran into them in the city at Costco with a full cart, didnt take me long to remind them but turns out its different when the shoe is on the other foot.

Comment

Majority of what we eat in this household is organic, or purchased organic.

Comment

Ok just to clarify a couple things with gluten free. Yes some people jump on the bandwagon to be gluten free just because they think it's healthier. I get that. However, there are some such as my wife who are anaphylactic to wheat. She can't eat anything with wheat. Celiacs are the same. It's not a choice but a necessity. Gluten will actually harm their stomach. So please don't lump them in with people who make it their choice to choose organic, natural, gluten free, etc.
              Also with regards to potato chips having a gluten free label being stupid, well for the most part you are correct. However, the one brand that comes to mind that is not gluten free is Pringles. Logic would dictate that for most foods like French fries, hamburger patties, Wings, sausages, etc, would be gluten free. But no, most companies, for whatever reason, feel the need to include wheat flour with these items. Go to your pantry and freezer and check labels on everything there and ask yourself what could you eat if one day you became celiac or allergic to wheat. You'd be amazed at what you couldn't eat. Actually, I guarantee you'd starve with what's in your house right now.

Sorry for the rant, it's just you never fully understand gluten free until it's forced upon you. I know I sure didnt!

To answer your question, obviously
              #1 gluten free
              #2 best price or quality or locally sourced

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...