• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your most profitable crop this year?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was your most profitable crop this year?

The debate over end point royalties and what influences each crops profitability brought me to an interesting result. Historically canola and yellow peas fight over the most profitable crop on my farm. Keep in mind I am a small operator and I only grow 150-200 acres of yellow peas each year, like the straw for my cows. This year was certainly dry with a very challenging fall that ended up yielding surprising results. My peas got hailed just as they were starting to ripen, hail adjuster said 25%, but they still yielded better than my historical averages. With hail insurance included they out grossed my CPS wheat by roughly $40 per acre and as you can guess my yellow peas were the highest grossing and netting crop this year. Second was my CPS wheat, a crop that around the first of October I thought would still be there next spring, flat and covered with snow. Much to my amazement it held a number 2 CPS grade. In third was canola, a bit below average yield combined with lacklustre prices give a disappointing year for canola. To equal the same gross return as the wheat I would need $11.50 per bushel. Fortunately green seed wasn't an issue.

Cereal grain breeders feel farmers need to pay more for research because they feel we will fall behind. I think if we were growing all our crops in a climate controlled greenhouse and everyone's growing conditions were the same this might be true. Canola has by far the highest cost of seed and I assume the most private company investment but this doesn't always improve my bottom line. Can companies develop a wheat that will stand through a foot of snow? The Penhold CPS I grow today does give me higher protein and seems to sprout less standing than my previous favourite Foremost but Foremost will still out yield it by 10 bushels per acre any time. I am not sure in the end it improved my profit. When it comes right down to it Mother Nature really decides what we get and I am still not convinced increasing the cost of farm saved seed will help my bottom line!

Flax. No seed cost, lower fertilizer bill than canola, lower risk, tougher crop, no insects little disease, 25-30 bu yield sells for $3 more than canola.

If you can stand the later season and straw.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
      Flax. No seed cost, lower fertilizer bill than canola, lower risk, tougher crop, no insects little disease, 25-30 bu yield sells for $3 more than canola.

If you can stand the later season and straw.
      For christ's sake......ssshhhhh!!!!!

Even the BTOs that like to be done combining for their Facebook account are asking about flax.....

And then the researchers will want to R&D money to **** it up again or Trudeau will **** up the chinese market....

lmao.

Comment

That is an easy question. Hay, in both net and gross. Yields were well below expectations due to record drought, but prices were so much higher that it more than made up for it. Harvest was easy when it never rained.

CPS Next, Yields were only off about 10%, prices are looking good lately, quality questionable due to the early frost, and snow. Nightmare to harvest after the snow.

Barley right behind CPS.

Canola a disaster. More pepper than sound seeds, extreme high green seeds, high moisture, poor prices and even worse discounts from what I'm hearing. Yields well below average.

Comment

Triticale was my most profitable crop. 30 bu yield on pea stubble , seeded with some old Massey 360 discers (gasp!) with no fert other than what was in the ground. This is a feed or combine for seed crop , but it performed good. Yellow peas are #2 for profit with 30% loss on hail and about 25 bu/ac yield they went better than expected. Durum is #3 for profit , only because of a poor price. Yield was about 30bpa average.

I know some of these yeilds will shock some people , but down here in the SW corner mother nature gives us more heat than moisture sometimes.

Comment

1) peas
            2)hear canola
            3)oats
            4)canary seed
            5) canola
            6) wheat.
            7)barley
            In that order

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              That is an easy question.

AF, they are banning meat and milk. Who is going to eat the hay in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                For christ's sake......ssshhhhh!!!!!

Any BTOs who would have tried that crop would be waiting for spring to combine it.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                  AF, they are banning meat and milk. Who is going to eat the hay in the future?
                  Horses. I swear there are more horses in the neighborhood than cows. And no one milks them, eats them or even rides them.

Comment

My best is a oil seed that I pay 16$ acre for seed sell it fob and returned 400$ acre net this year. Keep eating hotdogs.

Comment

From most net profitable to least on our farm

Desi chickpeas
                      Canary seed
                      Dun peas
                      Red lentils
                      Durum
                      Yellow Peas
                      Brown mustard
                      Canola

Comment

When wheat hits to top grade and top protein and the yield has a 7 at the beginning and you sell for over 7 that is the most profitable crop hands down.

Also looking and scouting fields and understanding rain and dew and wet crop canopy and deciding after a 1000 acres that fungicide wasn't needed this year and total savings makes wheat the winner.

The seed was purchased by certified on a quarter every year and that is used for seed stock on all acres if it makes my specifications of a good crop. Lots of fluff out there and seed companies all say its 10% better. than old variety every year so at this rate, we should be at 200 before I retire. HAHHAHAHAHA

Canola is an expensive crop to grow. The Trudeau shit show and trump and China trade war that we Canadians should be smiling and taking advantage over with Canola yet prices just stay at one lever even if our dollar has it at 12.

So thank a liberal for all the shit show going on in Canada.

Oats at 165 x 3.75 for next fall is $618.00 hm makes me think oats will be back in cards.

Peas are a shit show and they won't be back any time soon.

Food guide to make us all vegan I hate and will still eat beef. Oh, it's so F#$King Good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0GguAyYQTgaJBek48SLd6Q.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	767067

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                          When wheat hits to top grade and top protein and the yield has a 7 at the beginning and you sell for over 7 that is the most profitable crop hands down.

Also looking and scouting fields and understanding rain and dew and wet crop canopy and deciding after a 1000 acres that fungicide wasn't needed this year and total savings makes wheat the winner.

The seed was purchased by certified on a quarter every year and that is used for seed stock on all acres if it makes my specifications of a good crop. Lots of fluff out there and seed companies all say its 10% better. than old variety every year so at this rate, we should be at 200 before I retire. HAHHAHAHAHA

Canola is an expensive crop to grow. The Trudeau shit show and trump and China trade war that we Canadians should be smiling and taking advantage over with Canola yet prices just stay at one lever even if our dollar has it at 12.

So thank a liberal for all the shit show going on in Canada.

Oats at 165 x 3.75 for next fall is $618.00 hm makes me think oats will be back in cards.

Peas are a shit show and they won't be back any time soon.

Food guide to make us all vegan I hate and will still eat beef. Oh, it's so F#$King Good.

[ATTACH]3894[/ATTACH]
                          We can grow peas for under $100 /ac inputs (just leave the odysee and viper at the store) and it wont ne a shit show
                          When yield has a 7 or 8 in front of it and sell for $6.75-$7.25(so far) thats top payer hands down
                          Wheat costs us at least $250 inputs
                          Last edited by Guest; Jan 24, 2019, 10:31.

Comment

Had one neighbour tell me the best profit on his farm would have been not starting the tractor at seeding.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
                              Had one neighbour tell me the best profit on his farm would have been not starting the tractor at seeding.
                              FCC told me the biggest profit on my farm is calling up the local BTO and then going to the Walmart hiring desk.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...