• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

off the scale

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Furrow, get to a plug in! Your at 20%

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
      If the 14 day forecast is true( and it hasn't been for all of the past year) we have more than a week of highs all below 0C starting this weekend. That could be hard to handle. Especially after the +14C 2 days ago.

I know that this area enjoys much milder winters than farther east into the prairies, but never appreciated how much till I read a southern Manitoba farmer in late March(ish), that it was the first time they had been above zero since fall. It is rare to go more than a week without plus temps here.
      I didn't realize you were in the chinook belt there - we sure weren't. That little micro-climate we were in was one of the frostiest places on the prairies. I remember heading off one day when it was -39C and after 5 miles as I started to climb off the valley floor it was -25C. Spring 2002 had 3 straight weeks in March when it was -35 to -41 every night. We almost always had snow cover that lasted from early November to early April.
      This part of MB by contrast is colder between November and February but warms up quicker towards spring being further south and half the elevation. Biggest difference here is almost constant wind which makes it miserable when it's cold. We have had an easy winter up until Mid January but it's been cold since.

Comment

-10, strong east wind last night at 10:00, got up at 2:30AM, it was -3. Then this morning it was back down to -10 with a stiff westerly driving the snow about horizontal. Seems that it actually rained further south. I'll take the snow over the wet stuff. So will the cows.

Weird temperature shift, warmed up all afternoon and into the night - About -15 here yesterday afternoon but the east wind feels like its peeling the skin off my face. An hour of feeding -ripping off frozen net-wrap and plastic bale wrap and you feel like a block of ice.

Saturday is Groundhog day.

Comment

Well , our luck has run out
          No longer just a day or two of cold .
          It is deep set now ..

Comment

Sunrise at -41

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...