• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

off the scale

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
    yep i think 36 weather recrding stations broke records yesterday. No one cracked 50 but plenty at 48.6 to 49.

Soil is so so dry no rain on the horizon meaning next month other than the odd few mm fall. So were kinda behind the 8 ball already for 2019.

So many farmers locally here just sick of it. Graingrowing sadly is becoming a expensive pastime
    Hopefully there is a break in that heat wave for all in Auzzie land .
    We got lucky several times here that the bitter cold only lasts a few days at a time so far this winter.

Comment

My sympathies to anyone who has to even exist at those temps, let alone work in them.

It seems that we have had more days above zero than below this winter, (unless you count Sept and early Oct as winter) And wild swings, it was -26 last night, up to -11 by morning, and +2 by afternoon, supposed to be +14C by day after tomorrow and rain after that.

Not a good winter to be a sufferer of Chinook headaches with the rapid and drastic pressure changes.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
        My sympathies to anyone who has to even exist at those temps, let alone work in them.

It seems that we have had more days above zero than below this winter, (unless you count Sept and early Oct as winter) And wild swings, it was -26 last night, up to -11 by morning, and +2 by afternoon, supposed to be +14C by day after tomorrow and rain after that.

Not a good winter to be a sufferer of Chinook headaches with the rapid and drastic pressure changes.
        I bet Mallie thinks the same about our bone chilling extremes....minus 40(- and less) without wind can be "tolerable" but toss in a light breeze and be thankful you're not a brass monkey. Wind chill can be brutal even in less extreme cold temperatures.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

You guys close to the Rockies sure get the Chinooks. On the other hand further east we get Hudson Bay Chinooks. Kinda the opposite effect. When the wind direction changes to a nor’easter guaranteed something wicked this way blows.

Comment

Arrr , a north wind a blowin again ...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 4.16.45 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	767070

Couple of cold one coming here too - bottoming out at -50C with windchill on Wed. Wish I could send mallee a couple days of free air-conditioning and get a couple of mega chinooks in return!

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                [ATTACH]3903[/ATTACH]

Couple of cold one coming here too - bottoming out at -50C with windchill on Wed. Wish I could send mallee a couple days of free air-conditioning and get a couple of mega chinooks in return!
                Yes , no doubt grass ... be nice to level er out a bit .

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                  [ATTACH]3903[/ATTACH]

Would this be a good time to tell you our forcast is for plus 3 on Wednesday! LOL I'm surprised you guys are that cold, we've been really mild all winter with basically no snow. Yards are pretty icy though with melting temps every few days.

Comment

If the 14 day forecast is true( and it hasn't been for all of the past year) we have more than a week of highs all below 0C starting this weekend. That could be hard to handle. Especially after the +14C 2 days ago.

I know that this area enjoys much milder winters than farther east into the prairies, but never appreciated how much till I read a southern Manitoba farmer in late March(ish), that it was the first time they had been above zero since fall. It is rare to go more than a week without plus temps here.

Comment

Cold air makes tough people.... lol
                      Last load of grain tonight was -37 windchill . Finally had to put gloves on .
                      It’s funny to hear others complain about “winter” lol .
                      I do feel for the cattle guys hear though .... truly not fun at all .
                      They earn there keep as do those animals.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                        Cold air makes tough people.... lol
                        Last load of grain tonight was -37 windchill .
                        Cold weather didn't make me tough, it just frost bit my fingers so many times that now they are useless in the cold.

Are you kidding about putting on gloves at -37? I need to trade my warmest gloves for heavy mitts already when it gets much below -5 now, and haven't found mitts warm enough to function at 30 or 40 below. And unfortunately the cows still like to be fed at those temps, almost makes me want to use a cab tractor on those days...

Comment

lovely 37c here today worked all day didnt blink a eyelid about it.

woop better rephrase that a bit may have been 37c for 2 hours

Comment

Looks like about next Monday everyone will be chilly for a few days .

Comment

Need global warming!!!

Comment

Awe, life above the 49 th parellel is sooooo EZ. (Sarcasm)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...