• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

25.6 Million for Geo Thermal Power from Feds

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wd9 View Post
    You mean like the billions for oil and gas?
    Or billions for a ****ing carbon capture plant. Better spent on a payment for dams etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
      Grassfarmer I went on the Atco energy sense website to get these comparisons. In Alberta Atco sells both electricity and natural gas. Personally I pay $6.60 a GJ incuding carbon tax and $.20 a kw for electricity.
      Average home with an 80% efficient natural gas furnace 89 gigajoules x $6.60 = $587.4
      Average home with a 100% efficient electric heat 19911 kwh x .2 = 3982.2
      Water direct vent 67% efficient 22 gigajoules x $6.60 = $145.20
      Electric water heater 4448 kwh x .2 = $889.60

Actually Grassfarmer this is one of my favourite pet peeves I have against environmentalists(I am not saying you are one or including you in this group) is their promotion of electricity for heat. They believe we can affordably heat our homes with electricity but as you can see with the above numbers that simply isn't the case. If you put a $300 per tonne carbon tax on natural gas it increases the cost of heating the home to $5.10 GJ + $15.10 carbon tax = 20.20 per GJ x 89 GJ = $1797.80 per year. So even with a $300 carbon tax gas is cheaper. Electrical cost would need to be half what it is in Alberta today, never happen. Enjoy your day.
      Hamloc,
      We have only electric here - baseboard heaters in a 1970s house not insulated as well as it could be, also electric water heater. Our yearly usage for '18 was 19,580kwh so not so different to your model. Difference is we are paying $.085 kwh on domestic, $.088 on farm supply. Funny that in a "have not" province that's had many years of NDP Government they managed to pull this off compared to Alberta with it's extensive energy reserves and a political Conservative dynasty for generations. Can you say crony capitalist corruption?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...