• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

durum varieties

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
    So you expect me to take one for the team?
    Don't worry about fusarium, if you bin it for one year, it sells for a dollar a bushel higher than the good stuff.

But seriously, I think the risk has gone down quite a bit with the past couple dry years.

Comment

Jazz, the innoculum load in the soil may be reduced but I bet if conditions were ripe and the host was susceptible....BAMMM "#5 to commercial salvage" all day.

If the one word, "fusarium" didn't scare you maybe the two words "commercial salvage" will!

Spooked yet?

Comment

Spooked yet?

It spooks me but I have land that's been out of wheat for almost 10 yrs so my risk on the lower side for a while.

I am loving wheat again. Yeilds are higher, easy to grow, clean fields.

Comment

Jazz, the innoculum load in the soil may be reduced but I bet if conditions were ripe and the host was susceptible....BAMMM "#5 to commercial salvage" all day.

If the one word, "fusarium" didn't scare you maybe the two words "commercial salvage" will!

Spooked yet?
          Nope .store it for two years and double your money.....2016 5cwad with fuzz...3.25

2018 ...5cwad with fuzz....6.40

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
            I have been using fortitude for a few yrs and have been have been happy with it. A good yielder, we got about 55 with it this yr and 50 last yr with pretty average fertility. It was my first wheat in probably 10 yrs so I didn't throw too much money at it.
            I don’t know of anymore cleaning spitfire who also grew transend or fortitude or any other types against it. Spitfire was at least a grade less after the snow and more frost in the sample.

Another pump and dump seed company variety. Lots of hype when it first came out

Comment

We were going to try spitfire this spring but couldn’t find anyone that was happy with it so went with precision.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                Nope .store it for two years and double your money.....2016 5cwad with fuzz...3.25

2018 ...5cwad with fuzz....6.40
                ".store it....."

Ok, who hacked bucket's account and is posting under his username?

Comment

".store it....."

Ok, who hacked bucket's account and is posting under his username?
                  Funny...

I didn't

but ....who would have ever thought 5cwad with fuzz would be worth 6.40?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                    but ....who would have ever thought 5cwad with fuzz would be worth 6.40?
                    Crop insurance didn’t that’s forsure

Comment

So let’s review things.
                      We have people sticking with transcend, strongfield, brigade and fortitude after trying the new latest and greatest varieties from the self proclaimed currently nonprofit seed breeders.

In the future those varieties will be delisted and we will be like a dog chasing his tail trying to find one type that holds its colour.

Great system we have

Comment

Originally posted by iceman View Post
                        So let’s review things.
                        We have people sticking with transcend, strongfield, brigade and fortitude after trying the new latest and greatest varieties from the self proclaimed currently nonprofit seed breeders.

In the future those varieties will be delisted and we will be like a dog chasing his tail trying to find one type that holds its colour.

Great system we have
                        Durum... wonder why I grow it. Booked $7 for "feed wheat" this year, and $7 for "feed wheat" last year. Left my AC pasteur till the very end this year, and with 3 or 4? snow/ice events it still held its color and its protein. Stupid shit averaged 14+% px last year and 13% this year. Half inclined to plug all my cereal acreage into it next year...

Grew Verona this year. Pleased with it aside from the garbage price. Dumped 4lds of bleached garbage into the feed market at $6.48, then turned around the next week and hauled my inlaws #1cwad into the elevator for $6.25...

Comment

We have 3 Durum Varieties available for certified seed.
                          We have Precision, Alloy and Spitfire Durum.

In 2017 we grew all 3 varieties and were happy with all 3. Alloy has more straw than Spitfire and Precision. In 2017 we had perfect harvest weather and all the Durum graded a #1.

In 2016 we had Spitfire, Transcend and Marchwell. The Spitfire yielded quite a bit more than the Transcend and Marchwell in 2016 but the Transcend graded better as we had 30+ inches of rain that year and lots of rain at harvest time.
                          Spitfire graded #4 and #5and Transcend and Marchwell graded #3 and #4?With the grade loss we were still money ahead with the Spitfire

In 2018 we just went with Precision as I had Higher pedigreed seed of Precision that I could use for seed production. Tried to simplify things a bit and not clean the combine out as much.

One of the customers I sold Precision to said they had is side by side with Transcend in same field fertilized the same and seeded the same day. They said there was a 4.5 bu increase with the Precision over the Transcend. Another customer who compared Precision and Transcend said the Transend yielded more but Precision was seeded first and Transcend was seeded later in different fields.

On our farm in 2018 our early seeded durum did not yield as good as our later seeded durum. Our later seeded Durum was yielding 10-15 bu more per acre.
                          We got some rains later in the year and it was too late to help the early seeded Durum.

Some of the comments I got from Customers who purchased Spitfire, Precision and Alloy Durum was wow 😮 they wished they would have got more as it yielded better than there other varieties.

It would be a good year to buy Durum or Lentil seed as the prices will be down for seed this year compared to most. Talk with your local seed growers and see what the prices are you might be surprised.

We have quite a bit of Durum , Canary seed, Red lentil , and some Desi Chickpea seed available

We have been sold out of peas since Early December.

Hoping the Prices increase for all commodities and we get some adequate moisture in 2019.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to everyone

Comment

2016 bad Fuzz, sold most for 3.30 but kept 2 bin back to try and clean fuzz out of. Sold for 3cwad at 6.00
                            I thought I would have the Screenings forever tucked away in an old flat bottom.
                            Sold Fuzz Screening for 6 in spring!

Comment

Originally posted by mustardman View Post
                              2016 bad Fuzz, sold most for 3.30 but kept 2 bin back to try and clean fuzz out of. Sold for 3cwad at 6.00
                              I thought I would have the Screenings forever tucked away in an old flat bottom.
                              Sold Fuzz Screening for 6 in spring!
                              ...........anybody's blood boiling yet?

Comment

In 2016 once the FUZZ was out of the sample most of it graded a 2...but at the time it wasn't easy to clean or blend off....

The last two years has allowed the graincos the opportunity to clean it or blend it....

And to their credit they did give farmers the opportunity to sell FUZZ for 6 bucks ...in 2018...no top rated analyst predicted that could happen back in 2016....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...