• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snow cover...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow cover...

We could probably drive anywhere we want in the fields, there may be the odd spot where what little snow we've had sifted off pea or lentil stubble into the edge of canola or wheat stubble beside it.

I guess other than the sledding enthusiast not being able to take out their machines locally, the lack of snow makes for easy grain hauling, feeding cattle and such.

No one likes dealing with a pile of snow ALL winter but I hope this "trend" doesn't follow through to next spring and summer. Seems when nothing is growing no one talks about the lack of "moisture", whether it be rain or snow....winter droughts.

We went into another winter without the soil profile being fully recharged. The rains that kept harvest at a stand still here seemed only to be enough to keep us out of the fields. Although Aug/Sept rains did total 2 inches, alot of it came in very small doses. But I guess I should be thankful for the "cumulative" affect.

I already have my order in for a spring seeding rain delay, I better be careful what I ask for, but the last two years of net drying and precarious crop establishment in shallow seeded oilseeds is getting tiring.

But as far as I'm concerned if it doesn't want to snow any meaningful amount til the end of March, I would be OK with getting a wet heavy dump then.

As little snow as there is here, at least it won't be a completely brown Christmas.

Edit in, the hoar frost has made it look like there is more snow than there actually is. The freezing rain we had with a thick layer of hoar frost has even been causing power outages, broken trees and treacherous walking conditions.
    Last edited by farmaholic; Dec 12, 2018, 07:17.

Yep, long ways from being out of trouble from this drought here. Maybe 6" cover just now which is nice for getting around in and the mild temperatures are saving on precious feed. The moisture can come in March/April/May - just as long as it comes!

Comment

Plus Five predicted for this week. There’s lots of winter left and a few good March snowstorms too. Enjoy the mild weather, the alternative is not pleasing.

Comment

snow is good for sledders but for farmers, it's not even worth much. Now a wet snow in April that soaks in that is a winner.

Checked Cameras and Not much in Regina left, Farm has a bit and South well its sunny and hot.

Comment

We must have about 8 inches. Standing stubble is right full and I don’t want any more between now and seeding.
          We have lots of moisture in the ground so i don’t want any rain during seeding because that just causes delays that turn into late seeding.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...