• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renewables Chuck

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saskatchewan has not added much renewable electricity since 2005 and prices increased 60%. Maybe you should ask the utilities to justify their price increases.

Every province has a different mix of supply and different factors that will affect prices. All I know is that prices have increased on average 4.5% per year for the last 13 years in Saskatchewan.

During that time the cost of solar and wind have come down significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
      Saskatchewan has not added much renewable electricity since 2005 and prices increased 60%. Maybe you should ask the utilities to justify their price increases.

Every province has a different mix of supply and different factors that will affect prices. All I know is that prices have increased on average 4.5% per year for the last 13 years in Saskatchewan.

During that time the cost of solar and wind have come down significantly.
      So it is worse than we thought. They haven't even added much yet and it has already had such a drastic effect on prices. What will happen to prices as more projects come on on line?

I have better things to do than to reread all of your drivel, but I do seem to recall you proclaiming how much renewable energy Saskatchewan has been building in recent years. Guess that is only true when it fits the agenda. Can you find an example of a jurisdiction which has seen lower electricity prices after install renewables? If your numbers are correct, there should be multitudinous examples.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
        Chuck I addressed China's advantages with solar power over Canada in an earlier post, you didn't respond. Then I went through what it costs for solar in Alberta and again you didn't respond. All you seem to want to do cut and paste and tell us how we are living in the past. I have priced it out and consider it a questionable investment at today's prices in our climate.
        I'm sure you must have noticed by now, the troll won't respond to any post that is reasonable, factual, well researched, and asks questions to which the answer would cause him to question his ideology or to which he has no good answer. The troll only responds when he can attempt to paint the poster as an extremist and insult his intelligence, you didn't give him that opportunity, hence he has no comeback. This is the same as arguing with any ideologue, when they can't attack the message, they attack the messenger.

Comment

If solar was such a winner, the power companies would be doing it themselves and not getting the public to do it for them. Saskpower or any company would never invest in something with a 20 yr payback so got to get the dumbass public to do it.

Comment

In Ontario; the approx 80 cent per KWH rate that was paid and is still being paid for some 10 Kw rated solar capacity was rationalized as basically being a show home for the new technology that would be highly visible to every Ontario resident.

Now I don't live in Ontario...but maybe its fair to say that the experiment did not turn out exactly as planned.

What I do know is that even the mention of 10 KW capacity sounds a way more significant than the average 1.5 Kw output that can ever be expected over any reasonable period of time. All that spin behind the boiler plate rating has to be divided by a factor of 6 or 7 to bring reality into the advertised propaganda.

The truth is that there's not much you can do with 1500 watts for heating; running a couple of toasters or a single pretty small motor on an aeration fan for example. When people get the bills for the recent power outages and repairs to Sask recent grid problems it will be an example of "you can make anything fly if you put enough horse power behind it"

You want to do something significant for a reduced carbon footprint; then produce one less kid; stay on the ground; stay home; get the major population onside too;....but don't delude yourself about your insignificant effort.

And your 2 % inflation increase (for those who have signed on for selling their solar output) will diminish over the contract period as cost of electricity escalates. And no one is still going to have emergency power from a basic solar system when the grid goes down. Hope no one got caught thinking otherwise.

And I again predict that the basic monthly meter charge of about $34/mo. will be supplemented with a "transportation" and upgrade surcharge that obviously should someday apply fairly to all producers and consumers who use the utility grid.

Comment

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
              Interesting video Larry
              They do realize if we all switch over to this system and integrated cattle into all our operations to make it work efficient...... the cattle price will worthless in a short time ? Then in turn defeats their entire idea about profitable farming . I agree with the healthy soil aspect.
              I applaud their efforts and vision .... but again this is just another group attacking large grain farms , modern Ag and trying to position themselves away from being carbon taxed to death. They know what’s coming and the implications of this carbon tax . They are ahead of the curve and will have the politicians and public support. This may well be a viable farm system for a lot of smaller operations in areas suitable for cattle operations.
              I think there is a balance from their approach and current mono culture cropping . Having animals on every acre is simply not sustainable market wise ... they should know better. But they are promoting their vision and good for them . Just getting tired of constantly getting kicked in the shins at every turn as a “grain” farmer for others gain .
              This will be an avenue for some , but not for all .

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                So it is worse than we thought. They haven't even added much yet and it has already had such a drastic effect on prices. What will happen to prices as more projects come on on line?

I have better things to do than to reread all of your drivel, but I do seem to recall you proclaiming how much renewable energy Saskatchewan has been building in recent years. Guess that is only true when it fits the agenda. Can you find an example of a jurisdiction which has seen lower electricity prices after install renewables? If your numbers are correct, there should be multitudinous examples.
                Your feeble attempt to paint the small amount of renewables as the cause of higher electricity prices in Saskatchewan is ridiculous. Bigger wind project investments are happening now in order to meet the goal of 50% renewables by 2030.

Sask Power invested 1.5 billion dollars in Carbon capture and storage at Boundary. It was expensive and has not worked very well. They also are investing in 350 MW Chinook power station which will run on Natural gas

2017‐18 investment highlights

On time and on budget, construction is halfway complete on the Chinook Power Station, a 350 MW natural gas plant, near Swift Current
                Construction also continued on the $231 million, 200‐kilometer transmission line from Swift Current to Moose Jaw
                The carbon capture and storage process at Boundary Dam Power Station surpassed two million tonnes of captured carbon dioxide since start‐up, the equivalent of removing 500,000 vehicles from Saskatchewan roads
                We concluded the competitive process on Saskatchewan’s first 10 MW utility‐scale solar project
                The request for proposals for up to 200 megawatts of new wind generation was completed, and an announcement is expected this fall
                The corporation invested $153 million to connect new customers to the grid

Comment

I'm sure you must have noticed by now, the troll won't respond to any post that is reasonable, factual, well researched, and asks questions to which the answer would cause him to question his ideology or to which he has no good answer. The troll only responds when he can attempt to paint the poster as an extremist and insult his intelligence, you didn't give him that opportunity, hence he has no comeback. This is the same as arguing with any ideologue, when they can't attack the message, they attack the messenger.
                  I thought you were too busy to back up your opinions. That's been your lame excuse for several months on the climate change file.

But I guess not too busy to to post the usual mud slinging with no substance! LOL

Why do you bother posting at all?

Comment

I thought you were too busy to back up your opinions. That's been your lame excuse for several months on the climate change file.

But I guess not too busy to to post the usual mud slinging with no substance! LOL

Why do you bother posting at all?
                    And right on schedule, you proved my point, the only posts you respond to are those that you can use to marginalize and insult the poster. Works reliably every time.

Comment

Originally posted by oneoff View Post
                      In Ontario; the approx 80 cent per KWH rate that was paid and is still being paid for some 10 Kw rated solar capacity was rationalized as basically being a show home for the new technology that would be highly visible to every Ontario resident.

Now I don't live in Ontario...but maybe its fair to say that the experiment did not turn out exactly as planned.

What I do know is that even the mention of 10 KW capacity sounds a way more significant than the average 1.5 Kw output that can ever be expected over any reasonable period of time. All that spin behind the boiler plate rating has to be divided by a factor of 6 or 7 to bring reality into the advertised propaganda.

The truth is that there's not much you can do with 1500 watts for heating; running a couple of toasters or a single pretty small motor on an aeration fan for example. When people get the bills for the recent power outages and repairs to Sask recent grid problems it will be an example of "you can make anything fly if you put enough horse power behind it"

You want to do something significant for a reduced carbon footprint; then produce one less kid; stay on the ground; stay home; get the major population onside too;....but don't delude yourself about your insignificant effort.

And your 2 % inflation increase (for those who have signed on for selling their solar output) will diminish over the contract period as cost of electricity escalates. And no one is still going to have emergency power from a basic solar system when the grid goes down. Hope no one got caught thinking otherwise.

And I again predict that the basic monthly meter charge of about $34/mo. will be supplemented with a "transportation" and upgrade surcharge that obviously should someday apply fairly to all producers and consumers who use the utility grid.
                      Why do you persist in painting solar in the worst case scenario? We all know it is intermittent source of power and doesn't produce anything at night and very little during short cloudy days in winter.

But during the summer it produces a lot more. This the rule of thumb is 1.4 kwh per watt in southern Saskatchewan. So a 10kw array will produce around 14000 kwh annually.

Even without subsidies Solar PV will easily pay for itself in Saskatchewan and lock in lower electricity prices than the utility which historically have been rising 4.5% per year since 2005 in Saskatchewan.

But continue with your negative views and biased opinions if it makes you feel better.

What do you think of the story about low cost large batteries being developed at MIT? A possible solution on the horizon for grid sized renewable storage.

Comment

Solar-powered irrigation proving its worth for Alberta operation
                        Cory and Lindsay Nelson are the first in the province to use solar for large-scale irrigation — and they’re happy they did

https://www.albertafarmexpress.ca/2017/09/05/solar-powered-irrigation-proving-its-worth-for-alberta-operation-2/

Cant wait for oneoff to tell this Alberta farm that solar doesn't work!

Comment

And right on schedule, you proved my point, the only posts you respond to are those that you can use to marginalize and insult the poster. Works reliably every time.
                          good job af5 , you definetely have him/her/it rattled , lol
                          fun to watch the scam unravel

Comment

Still waiting! Are you still to busy to come up with some facts and evidence to backup your opinions? But not too busy to post lame replies.

When you have time haahaah, why not call up Cory and Lindsay Nelson the irrigation farmers in southern Alberta using solar as profiled above and tell them solar doesn't work!
                            Last edited by chuckChuck; Dec 13, 2018, 10:12.

Comment

Here is the view from my office window again this morning. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181213_094040.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	766945. I do find time to post lame replies by voice to text while I'm operating. Doesn't work so well for doing research sorry.

We discussed the irrigation solar project in southern Alberta already. And I stated what a great fit that is when peak solar coincides with peak electricity consumption, In one of the most ideal locations in the country for solar. Do you happen to know when peak electrical consumption is in the rest of the country?
                              Still waiting! Are you still to busy to come up with some facts and evidence to backup your opinions? But not too busy to post lame replies.

When you have time haahaah, why not call up Cory and Lindsay Nelson the irrigation farmers in southern Alberta using solar as profiled above and tell them solar doesn't work!

Comment

On my farm peak electrical consumption is August and September when I am running my aeration fans! Seems like there is lots of sun in August.

Hey maybe solar is a good fit on grain farms in the southern prairies?

Be carefull out there on the highway. Don't use your phone while driving or sitting in a tractor on the highway.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...