• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prof downplays carbon tax’s farm impact

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
    Tier 4 lowers nitrous oxide down to sweet tweet.
    What to locomotives use for emission? Probably not much
    Agreed , so where do we emit massive amounts of nitrous oxide and methane ?
    It’s easy to throw up numbers but where do they come from off the crop land production??
    You cut and pasted a lot of nothing chuck.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
      Agreed , so where do we emit massive amounts of nitrous oxide and methane ?
      It’s easy to throw up numbers but where do they come from off the crop land production??
      You cut and pasted a lot of nothing chuck.
      Livestock = methane
      Nitrogen fertilizer = nitrous oxide (N2O)

Comment

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/fertilizer-produces-far-more-greenhouse-gas-expected

"With an overload of fertilizer, soil microbes on farms may belch unexpectedly high levels of nitrous oxide, a greenhouse gas with 300 times as much heat-trapping power as carbon dioxide. The finding may help explain why agricultural nitrous oxide emissions are much higher than some scientists had predicted and could give clues for how to curb farm pollution.

Soil microbes have long been known to convert nitrogen-rich crop fertilizers, including manure and synthetic fertilizers, into nitrous oxide. After more than 1,000 field experiments, climate scientists calculated in the mid-2000s that the dirt dwellers spew about one kilogram of the greenhouse gas for every 100 kilograms of fertilizer, or roughly 1 percent. Researchers generally thought that emissions would scale up linearly: doubling fertilizer would double the emissions of gas.

But the predictions didn’t match up with real-world numbers. Estimating regional and global fluxes of atmospheric nitrous oxide levels a few years ago, researchers pegged the microbial conversion of fertilizer to gas at somewhere between 1.75 and 5 percent. Either the initial calculations were off or there were unknown sources of nitrous oxide, says biogeochemist Phil Robertson of Michigan State University in East Lansing. The latter was unlikely, he adds."

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
          https://www.sciencenews.org/article/fertilizer-produces-far-more-greenhouse-gas-expected

"With an overload of fertilizer, soil microbes on farms may belch unexpectedly high levels of nitrous oxide, a greenhouse gas with 300 times as much heat-trapping power as carbon dioxide. The finding may help explain why agricultural nitrous oxide emissions are much higher than some scientists had predicted and could give clues for how to curb farm pollution.

Soil microbes have long been known to convert nitrogen-rich crop fertilizers, including manure and synthetic fertilizers, into nitrous oxide. After more than 1,000 field experiments, climate scientists calculated in the mid-2000s that the dirt dwellers spew about one kilogram of the greenhouse gas for every 100 kilograms of fertilizer, or roughly 1 percent. Researchers generally thought that emissions would scale up linearly: doubling fertilizer would double the emissions of gas.

But the predictions didn’t match up with real-world numbers. Estimating regional and global fluxes of atmospheric nitrous oxide levels a few years ago, researchers pegged the microbial conversion of fertilizer to gas at somewhere between 1.75 and 5 percent. Either the initial calculations were off or there were unknown sources of nitrous oxide, says biogeochemist Phil Robertson of Michigan State University in East Lansing. The latter was unlikely, he adds."
          Any tests done on Nitrogen treated with N stabilizers ?
          Those are out of date tests done of fertilizer not treated .

Comment

Livestock = methane
            Nitrogen fertilizer = nitrous oxide (N2O)
            I will let grassfarmer tackle the massive amount of methane issue from his livestock .
            Your N2O info and data is out of date .
            A lot of things have changed in the fertilizer industry the past few years .

Comment

Chuck, you're hilarious.

You come on here and preach about the great Carbon tax.

Well maybe your acreage is doing great and you later after the next election can burn your I love Trudeau sign to heat your shack.

But the reality is you have no clue.

Yes like furrow says the test you cut and paste is out of date.

Most use a nitrogen stabilizer or slow release on most fert.

We direct seed since the early 80s so have done our part. We only work when necessary and min amount of Chem to control weeds like years ago.

So yea farmers did there part.

Now in a shitty year try drying grain with Solar or Wind. Won't work.

You dream in tec colour.

Cut your grass, run range fed chickens and make sure you sweep your solar panel off and cuddle like its 1928 to stay warm in winter.

When no one in the world is changing why would we give up oil in Canada.

Yea France is so happy with all the bullshit taxes.

Google it could be your friend to learn some things.

Comment

Looks like you thought you were well prepared for you Sunday climate preaching .. lol
                That’s a lot of useless info to come up with on short notice 🤔

Comment

Looks like you thought you were well prepared for you Sunday climate preaching .. lol
                  That’s a lot of useless info to come up with on short notice 🤔
                  So whats the numbers, where are we at on nitrous oxide emissions currently? How much has new tech reduced NO2 emmisions?

Comment

So whats the numbers, where are we at on nitrous oxide emissions currently? How much has new tech reduced NO2 emmisions?
                    If your not using N stabilizers, there is no “we” in this conversation.
                    I will get the reduction numbers when I have time . Got other things to do now on a Sunday with my family.
                    Thanks for all the 10-20 year old data though lol .

Comment

Well, Chucky sees when you coat a fertilizer pellet and it only let's go a certain amount of nitrogen as the plant needs it. Ah, and nitrogen makes plants grow.

So even if it rains you don't have nitrogen leaching etc.

Praise be the Carbon gods.

You're out of your league.

Keep cutting and pasting.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                        Chuck, you're hilarious.

You come on here and preach about the great Carbon tax.

Well maybe your acreage is doing great and you later after the next election can burn your I love Trudeau sign to heat your shack.

But the reality is you have no clue.

Yes like furrow says the test you cut and paste is out of date.

Most use a nitrogen stabilizer or slow release on most fert.

We direct seed since the early 80s so have done our part. We only work when necessary and min amount of Chem to control weeds like years ago.

So yea farmers did there part.

Now in a shitty year try drying grain with Solar or Wind. Won't work.

You dream in tec colour.

Cut your grass, run range fed chickens and make sure you sweep your solar panel off and cuddle like its 1928 to stay warm in winter.

When no one in the world is changing why would we give up oil in Canada.

Yea France is so happy with all the bullshit taxes.

Google it could be your friend to learn some things.
                        Yup and you my friend are only good at spewing partisan bullshit. A one time liberal supporter who can barely finish a sentence without blaming the liberals for everything!

Who frequently rambles on about his vacations, as if anybody gives a damn. If you want to talk about your trips to Florida why not join a travel site?

Why not try debating the issues at hand, back up your arguments with more than partisan rhetoric and made up shit, and actually make a case?

Comment

If your not using N stabilizers, there is no “we” in this conversation.
                          I will get the reduction numbers when I have time . Got other things to do now on a Sunday with my family.
                          Thanks for all the 10-20 year old data though lol .

So you think nitrous oxide emissions are not still a problem? Tristan Skolrud must have access to the current science and he seems to think they are. I will be waiting for you to prove him and me wrong.
                          Last edited by chuckChuck; Dec 2, 2018, 13:37.

Comment

oh, you poor crybaby.

My trips I report what's happening all way down to Florida and any real farmer can make a decision from what I'm seeing. (mts of grain or still harvesting or massive flooding etc)

But a guy with an acreage can't figure out jack shit. That's you chuck a wannabee.

Yea English I hated in both high school and university.

Guess what chuck you don't really need it to succeed in business. Just as long as you can read the documents and understand what your reading.

Spelling eye cud doo it bakwords or al rong and peple no wat i mean.

See stupid people with an agenda make me sick.

You cut and paste and think you know what's happening but in reality have no clue.

So keep posting I love guys like you it shows normal Canadian what a stupid idea the carbon tax really is.

It's a tax chuck nothing more.

When China and USA and India all decide to do things then Canada should join something.

It's like Canada phasing out coal yet China and Japan and elsewhere are increasing coal-powered plants.

I guess like I always say follow the money.

Chuck, you must sell solar panels for a living and want us stupid farmers to buy in so you can make some money from a useless liberal idea.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                              oh, you poor crybaby.

My trips I report what's happening all way down to Florida and any real farmer can make a decision from what I'm seeing. (mts of grain or still harvesting or massive flooding etc)

But a guy with an acreage can't figure out jack shit. That's you chuck a wannabee.

Yea English I hated in both high school and university.

Guess what chuck you don't really need it to succeed in business. Just as long as you can read the documents and understand what your reading.

Spelling eye cud doo it bakwords or al rong and peple no wat i mean.

See stupid people with an agenda make me sick.

You cut and paste and think you know what's happening but in reality have no clue.

So keep posting I love guys like you it shows normal Canadian what a stupid idea the carbon tax really is.

It's a tax chuck nothing more.

When China and USA and India all decide to do things then Canada should join something.

It's like Canada phasing out coal yet China and Japan and elsewhere are increasing coal-powered plants.

I guess like I always say follow the money.

Chuck, you must sell solar panels for a living and want us stupid farmers to buy in so you can make some money from a useless liberal idea.
                              Obviously you are incapable of an intelligent thoughtful response. You prove my points over and over.

Comment

HAHAHAHA

Chuck every time you cut and paste your bullshit you prove you have no clue.

why do you want to go back to living like our grandfathers? Off the grid in a cold home and poor.

Please explain.

Also, chuck checks out today Farmer Megz posted a question to our Federal minister Mckenna and the response back proves that the federal liberals have no clue.

Basically, every single thing we do she is telling us to do in her response. Again out of touch. Just like you chuck.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...