• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duck land

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck land

How can they be allowed to sell land and still control it?
    I hope nobody buys any of the land they are selling without understanding the easement required.

Ducks unlimited auction?

Comment

Not an auction but it's listed with a realtor

Comment

Question....why do they want to sell the land in the first place.

A speculative play where it's worth more than they paid and they can turn around and buy more in a cheaper area all the while maintaining the easement on the sold stuff and gaining control of more purchased land?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

A speculative play where it's worth more than they paid and they can turn around and buy more in a cheaper area all the while maintaining the easement on the sold stuff and gaining control of more purchased land?
          So you're saying DU has business savvy leaders and not just a bunch of quackers?

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
            So you're saying DU has business savvy leaders and not just a bunch of quackers?
            I don't know. Just saying and thinking out loud.

Comment

They aren’t the best neighbors to have.
              They will dam up all the water runs and back water up and flood land for miles.

Comment

And they love Saskatchewan because we let them put caveats on that last forever. Alta limits them to ten years.

Comment

That's exactly what it looks like is happening, so they sterilize more acres.
                  They are no good in my mind, this country is going backwards.

Comment

Yep, doing the same as a lot of farmers do other than their goals for the land are different.

Originally posted by GOODRUM View Post
                    That's exactly what it looks like is happening, so they sterilize more acres.
                    They are no good in my mind, this country is going backwards.
                    While I agree their management of the land leaves a lot to be desired I still support them in this area as they are the last organization standing against habitat destruction. Left to the surrounding grain farmers this mixed bush/oak savannah, slough and wetland area is fast becoming a treeless, waterless desert.

Comment

Ducks limited and the Nature conservancy of Canada are the worst managers of land I have seen....

And some of the biggest recipients of government dollars...

Look at any NCC sign on a fence post and there will be a federal or provincial ministry funding noted...

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                        Ducks limited and the Nature conservancy of Canada are the worst managers of land I have seen....
                        Poor managers of soil maybe but good managers of the water cycle.

Comment

What are they doing, or not doing, that would be considered poor land management?

I know of a situation where they constructed water channels(one with a control device on it) to connect three close "prairie lakes", which I would describe as "marshes". During the recent wet cycle a normally nearly dry area called "Dry Lake" filled and filled much more that it ever had in the past, flooding nearby pasture land and killed all the poplar trees surrounding the area. There was even a farmyard flooded and the quonset was in two feet of water. Rumour has it Agricultural drainage off grainland contributed to the issue. It is unnerving to see that much water in that spot with all the dead trees. But I guess the moral is the channel and control device were constructed and never really "managed".

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170719_151241.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	766911

Yup excelent water managers....two years running ....there is suppose to be a minimum amount of water there between the lakes. To account for evaporation....

This is a creek bed between two lakes....the upper lake is controlled with stop logs....

A couple years ago the upper lake level was dropped by 2 feet by an unscrupulous farmer...DU is the operator and didn't know what was going on even after numerous reports to them...
                            Last edited by bucket; Nov 30, 2018, 08:07.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                              [ATTACH]3682[/ATTACH]

Yup excelent water managers....two years running ....there is suppose to be a minimum amount of water there between the lakes. To account for evaporation....

This is a creek bed between two lakes....the upper lake is controlled with stop logs....

A couple years ago the upper lake level was dropped by 2 feet by an unscrupulous farmer...DU is the operator and didn't know what was going on even after numerous reports to them...
                              At least you still have the two water bodies. Around here they would have been drained to pull a cultivator through so they get added to the crop insurance tally then growing kochia.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...