• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Distill your own at home

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distill your own at home

So ten years ago, everyone was buying a canola oil expeller to make their own diesel. Don’t think it worked out very well for those that did it. Soooo, why are we not doing this with crude oil? Is it economically feasible to do this on a small scale? Are we “allowed “ to do it?

I ve wondered the same thing how could it not pencil out to refine even on a bigger scale here?
    But now I m hearing it will get sold with the pipeline because it's cheap and china wants it cheap and will apply cheap
    Labor and guess what will have a cheap energy policy that we will fund.
    They willlbe even more competitively ahead of North America
    Doesn't make sense at all

Comment

...and I thought this was going to be a thread about home-brew. I don't know the last time I was this disappointed!

On to the thread topic....I doubt I would want to run home-made diesel though any of the modern sensor laden, ECM engines. Sounds like trouble to me, leave the refining up to the Pros?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        ...and I thought this was going to be a thread about home-brew. I don't know the last time I was this disappointed!

On to the thread topic....I doubt I would want to run home-made diesel though any of the modern sensor laden, ECM engines. Sounds like trouble to me, leave the refining up to the Pros?
        Well I'm sure with you on this one bud. Except of course I was thinking ethanol - for my old jalopy...

Now, as far as the home-brewed diesel, your concern is evidence that, unlike some on here, you are not running a classic 354 Perkins diesel with wide tolerances or a screamin' jimmy that will run on grass and leaves if necessary. Ah, the price of luxury...

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
          Well I'm sure with you on this one bud. Except of course I was thinking ethanol - for my old jalopy...

Now, as far as the home-brewed diesel, your concern is evidence that, unlike some on here, you are not running a classic 354 Perkins diesel with wide tolerances or a screamin' jimmy that will run on grass and leaves if necessary. Ah, the price of luxury...
          We could just turn back the clock even further and let the horses and oxen "refine" it!

😃 take care burnt.

Comment

Originally posted by RD414 View Post
            So ten years ago, everyone was buying a canola oil expeller to make their own diesel. Don’t think it worked out very well for those that did it. Soooo, why are we not doing this with crude oil? Is it economically feasible to do this on a small scale? Are we “allowed “ to do it?
            Not really a similar situation to biodiesel i dont think. Too many other compounds in it. Lots of products made from a barrel of oil not just fuels. Nice idea though. I would like to use the natural gas that gets burned or vented from a nearby well. (Used to be able to do that) But oil co says no longer allowed to do that.

Comment

Had a friend that had is own cracking tower that he used to crack diesel off of used oil.

He attended auctions when they shut down a lot of the regional refineries.

It was kind of a refinery scrapyard. He seemed to know how it all worked.

He said it was more trouble than having a still as the governments all wanted their share of the tax.

He just wanted to make Diesel for his own car.

He hated government. Sold it to an Indian Band just to piss them off.

Comment

shit, I thought it also was a thread on making homemade hooch. If it's a blue flame its good shit.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...