• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oil price questions

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil price questions

Can someone (maybe Errol) answer some nagging question I have on oil pricing. Why is the discount for WCS increasing? Is it actually a lack of pipelines and/or rail capacity? Or is it world wide supply and demand for crude? Are Gulf coast refineries now at capacity, therefore refiners can be choosy on the crude they refine and WCS is way down on the list? We know what the price of WCS is in Alberta, but what is the landed price for WCS at the refinery? And then, how much more does it cost to refine WCS?

Looking at crude oil price charts I see that a huge variation in Canadian oil prices today, from US7.56 for Hardisty Light to US22.06 for Syncrude Sweet Premium all the way up to US$51.66 for Canadian Premium Synthetic. I also note some disappointing US prices such as Wyoming General Sour is less than Hardisty Light at US7.50 and Central Montana crude is just US19.45. Does Montana and Wyoming have the same shipping problems we do, or is it refineries just do not want these blends therefore discounts them?

Which then makes me ask, does China actually want WCS crude shipped to them? Do they have the upgraders and refineries to even handle WCS? I have been told we made the very first ever shipment of WCS to China just this spring and it was only a quarter million bbls shipment through Portland. Furthermore, most of China's imports come via very large crude tankers carrying 2 million bbls and that the biggest tanker that can be filled in Vancouver would carry less than half a million bbls. Could we even compete by shipping small tankers of WCS to China or would WCS be discounted for tanker size and high costs of refining?

Like Canadian farmers, are oil companies simply producing all they can and then wondering how and where they can market it? Willing to produce as much as possible and take firesale prices because of a lack of transportation and actual viable markets with refining capabilities to handle our product, given there is currently abundant supply of competing crude. Is this the Canadian way of doing business?

No question we need to sell oil at higher prices. But will shipping WCS by rail actually decrease the discount or are we simply adding the costs of rail cars to production costs and at the same time increasing competition for rail service for every other industry including movement of grain?

The big question is how much production is hedged for what price and how long. The last time oil went low most light oil producers were two years out on good price with most of their production, so the low price didn’t hurt them much. Didn’t here too many oil marketers going bankrupt either

Comment

dml . . . there is a huge glut of bitumen backed up in Alberta. This has been in-part due to a shutdown of U.S. processing capacity and our lack of transportation. This U.S. processing capacity is coming back on-line gradually which should gradually narrow our Alberta discount over the next few months (IMO).

Heading into 2019, please take as an opinion, but the U.S. dollar could fall back though 2019. The U.S. economy is in for a rough-ride as American GDP declines. Should the USD fail, this could push both crude oil and even the Cdn dollar higher.

Currently, our Western Cdn Select (WCS) price is sitting around $20 per barrel. Wouldn't be surprised if our WCS price could recover into a $30 to $35 per barrel range over the next few months. Not great, but some breathing room.

Note: AECO spot natural gas price very volatile in Suffield (southeast Alberta). Surging toward $3 per gigajoule recently, then plunging this week on warming U.S. temps. Demand is king when is comes to commodity markets. But nat gas showing signs it is coming out-of-dormancy . . . something to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post
        Demand is king when is comes to commodity markets.
        Thanks Errol: I agree, demand is key driver in commodities. And sounds good that refining capacity is picking up again in US and this should support prices - provided US refineries need WCS to maintain full production (which sounds like they don't at this time)

But what about the Asian market that we are told will save Alberta oil. Can China refineries actually handle WCS without major refit? And I doubt they will spend billions on refitting or build refineries until they are assured of supply and have tested WCS which could put the Asian market years down the road. Furthermore, wont we still have to compete in China for that refinery space with conventional crude from other markets which likely can be shipped in by super tanker from middle east and even the gulf coast far cheaper than smaller ships out of Vancouver, therefore we will still be seeing a discount for WCS?

I am just wondering if the built it and they will buy is as simple as industry is pretending.
        Last edited by dmlfarmer; Nov 29, 2018, 10:03.

Comment

Texas natural gas prices collapsed this week to-the-point it has been reportedly given away 'free'. Heavy drilling in the Permian basin has produced a glut of nat gas. There is simply not enough storage.

Suffield / Consort gas prices have slammed below 50 cents per gigajoule on the Cdn spot market due to this U.S. fallout and lack of near-term demand.

It appears natural gas supplies are abundant, but out-of-position across the U.S. market. This has created a very volatile and unpredictable cash market.

Comment

This concerns allied natural gas pricing.

I clearly remember this recent information published which I believe to be true.

Current SaskEnergy retail natural gas is at $3.65 per GgaJoule and rate review applications (two stages prior to next spring) to bring it down a dollar to $2.65/GJ.

But Federal carbon tax of $1.00 /GJ due to be imposed on Sask so there wouldn't be any net savings for consumers.

If that Jan 1 carbon tax is the first of five $10 per ton or tonne(??) of CO2. then just why is anyone much worried about oil product costs when that carbon tax will be nearly $200% of natural gas value in 5 years assuming energy prices stay stagnated.

Why do we get so lost in the big picture???

Comment

Lots of statistics in this report:

https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/en/corporate/pdf/energy-economics/statistical-review/bp-stats-review-2018-full-report.pdf

When I look at refinery capacity growth world wide I can't see how we can expect shipping oil to the U S gulf coast is going to be long term with the increase in oil production going on there.

They have some huge refiners down there but no new capacity.

The new capacity appears to be in Asia.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...