• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mountains of Grain in USA!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mountains of Grain in USA!

The drive down was very interesting lots and lots of crops were still in the fields. Farmers from Just outside of Minot all way to Florida had Crop out.

Soy then Corn and lots of Corn.

Some fields they did the outside two rounds and then a few times up and down and left.

Some fields were completely done then some had just up and back.

Now yes the USA farmer is in for a rough ride with the trade war with China. Soy was like basically nothing last week.

So are farmers playing the crop insurance game taking forever to get the crop harvested do a little a day and finally say sorry we couldn't finish and get a check that way?

The American system is way different than the Canadian. We work like fools to get a crop harvested and actually save Crop insurance money by working as a total fool to finish.

Most or not all the crop would be off in some of the southern states but it was clear they were taking there time.

Someone who knows the USA system better than I could explain. But it sure looks like they are going to get paid that way instead of by the grain. Also, total supply won't be as high because of all the unharvested product.

Unharvested product. Glad you said it. That's exactly what it is, a commodity, nothing more nothing less. Mainstream doesn't see it or treat it as food. There is no pride in being an American mainstream puppet farmer. They are simply peons on the Bayer-BASF-DowDupont chessboard. Canada South America and Australia much the same. But Russia has their shit together.

Comment

On that front yes the world of Farming is changing and sad that Canadian and American farmers don't get what's happening.

We will be replaced by Russia and Ukraine and South America. Rules that protect seed and chem companies and leave farmers the last don't exist.

Here every single company takes a cut and the farmer struggles till its RB auction and replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
        On that front yes the world of Farming is changing and sad that Canadian and American farmers don't get what's happening.

We will be replaced by Russia and Ukraine and South America. Rules that protect seed and chem companies and leave farmers the last don't exist.

Here every single company takes a cut and the farmer struggles till its RB auction and replaced.

Well you either lead, follow, or get out of the way. There's no room for complacency.

Comment

I think SF3 nailed it, the capitalistic environment and extreme corporate business friendly environment, rules and laws probably don't exist in some of those "backward" jurisdictions.

Comment

I have written up a new policy for my farm and payment to my retailer since I am sick of chemical that doesn't work....

"''Nothing will be charged to my account until we find out if its worked properly....

Respraying due to chemical non performance will be charged at the rate of $8 dollar an acre...

etc etc etc..."""""

****ing sick of getting the meat picked off my bones while retailers make stupid money...

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
              I have written up a new policy for my farm and payment to my retailer since I am sick of chemical that doesn't work....

"''Nothing will be charged to my account until we find out if its worked properly....

Respraying due to chemical non performance will be charged at the rate of $8 dollar an acre...

etc etc etc..."""""

****ing sick of getting the meat picked off my bones while retailers make stupid money...

Come over on the Mars thread I'd like to see your two cents worth

Comment

This is what lead, follow, or get out of the way means in Russia.

Fire sale all your grain in the fall, then invade the Ukraine.

In South America, it means send your total production of grain to China, and your caravans to the US border.

Comment

From what I am reading, wet weather is delaying harvest in the US as well as in some areas good old fusarium producing high DON readings. Some areas of Ontario are having the same problem. The harvest will slowly come off in the US, it always does. and corn will stand to spring if need be. Soybeans are being dried this year which is not normal so they are slow to come off as well. The upside is that this will shrink the size of the crop and hopefully result in curbing the surplus a bit.

Comment

Comment: Sonny warned ’em — twice, in fact
                    Trump can’t claim he wasn’t forewarned about agriculture trade calamity

By Alan Guebert
                    Published: November 27, 2018
                    Comment, Opinion

It’s Thanksgiving week recently here in the U.S., so let’s be generous: The White House trade policy, marked by its heavy use of import tariffs and presidential tweets, continues to confound economists and trading partners alike.

A more accurate, less generous view of President Donald J. Trump’s trade policy would declare it an unhinged mess that has led to a dark, and getting darker, year for export-dependent American farmers and ranchers.

And that’s just the calendar year. The still-young grain-marketing year is headed for darkness, too, if our tariff-tied export policy for friend or foe remains.

Don’t just take my word for it; here’s what Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue told President Donald J. Trump in their very first White House meeting shortly after Perdue became ag chief in April 2017. The topic was Trump’s threat to pull the U.S. out of NAFTA, the generation-old trade pact between Mexico, Canada, and us.

(The remarks, all direct quotes that no one disputes, begin on page 157 of Bob Woodward’s recent bestselling book, Fear.)

“‘NAFTA has been a huge boon for American ag interests,’ Perdue told Trump… ‘We wouldn’t have markets for these products otherwise. The people who stand to lose the most if we withdraw are your base, the Trump supporters.’”

Then, relates Woodward, Perdue showed “Trump a map of the United States” to emphasize the electoral fallout from leaving NAFTA. Most of what he pointed to were presidential swing states. “‘So you just can’t do this,’” Perdue urged.

“‘Yeah,’ Trump said, ‘but they’re screwing us, and we’ve got to do something.’”

Trump’s “something” became a newly negotiated agreement that now awaits approval by all parties. Before national elections in Mexico and midterm elections in the U.S., passage was seen as doable, albeit dicey. With Democrats retaking the U.S. House Nov. 6, American passage moves more toward dicey than doable.

Trump to offer U.S. farmers billions to ease trade pain

A week after his defence of NAFTA, continues Woodward, Perdue was back at the White House to explain the ag consequences if the president acted on his threat to place tariffs on Chinese exports to the U.S.

“Sonny Perdue gave a presentation in the Situation Room on May 4 on the role of agriculture in trade. Sensitive intelligence showed that if the United States imposed new tariffs on China, the Chinese would retaliate with their own tariffs.”

Again, however, Perdue’s warning fell on deaf ears.

Why was Trump so fixated — and so upside down — on the economics of tariffs and trade deficits? According to Woodward, Trump’s chief economic adviser, Gary Cohn, a former president of Goldman Sachs, asked Trump “several times… ‘Why do you have these views?’”

“‘I just do,’ Trump replied, ‘I’ve had these views for 30 years.’”

“‘That doesn’t mean they’re right,’ Cohn said. ‘I had the view for 15 years I could play professional football. It doesn’t mean I was right.’”

Cohn’s point was lost on Trump. In early 2018, he hit China with US$50 billion in tariffs. (Cohn resigned just before the official announcement.) As predicted, China retaliated with tariffs of its own and, in September, the White House hit China with another $200 billion of tariffs. China, again, retaliated with more of its own tariffs.

Both nations’ actions have had little impact on China’s ability to import soy and livestock feed from other nations or our own hunger for Chinese-made consumer goods. Through September, U.S. imports from China are up eight per cent over 2017 and are forecasted to set an all-time record. Go figure.

Trump trade war delivers farm boom in Brazil, gloom in Iowa

Meanwhile, on Nov. 1, Reuters reported that China imported only 132,248 metric tons (MT) of U.S. soybeans in September compared to 937,000 MT it imported last September. Similarly, U.S. corn exports to China last September were 174,965 MT; this September’s were virtually invisible: 516 MT.

Even more revealing, the overall U.S. trade deficit — in the first full year of the most protectionist, tariff-imposing administration since Herbert Hoover — will exceed its record, set in 2008, of $816 billion.

Sonny warned the White House about the electoral and economic fallout of starting a trade war. Twice, in fact. As such, it’s hard to know what is more common in today’s White House, wooden ears or wooden heads.

Sorry, it’s Thanksgiving; make that bad policy or stubborn policy-makers.

The Farm and Food File is published weekly in newspapers throughout the U.S. and Canada.

https://www.manitobacooperator.ca/comment/comment-donald-trump-cant-claim-he-wasnt-forewarned-about-agriculture-trade-calamity/?utm_source=GFM+Publications&utm_campaign=ff08ca19 05-Manitoba+Co-operator+daily+enews+Nov+28%2C+2018&utm_medium=ema il&utm_term=0_2da8244677-ff08ca1905-88077149

Comment

We are no different here in Canada with the actions of this current government.
                      One glaring example is the pulse industry.
                      Both governments in the US and Canada are pushing their agendas way too far and that fall out is effectively draining farmers on both sides of the fence.

Comment

What leverage does Canada have over India when it comes to pulse tariffs? Their tariffs are based on domestic issues and supporting their farmers and that has little to do with Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                          What leverage does Canada have over India when it comes to pulse tariffs? Their tariffs are based on domestic issues and supporting their farmers and that has little to do with Canada.
                          Counter-tarrif on Indian imports, immigration, consular assignments.bthere’s lots can be done but our obtuse ffederralovernment despises the West. Sorry, that’s the way it is.

Comment

Yea chuck Unicorns and popcorn farts are part of Trudeau's world and reality is he hates the west and doesn't care.

Canada has lots of choices with India and it's about hurting people with money in India. Not poor farmers.

If we shut off wealthy Indians and hit them with tariffs on their product. The gov would have dropped the tariff for Canada.

Follow the money, But gay boy did a dance and that was all. Even forgot the ag minister, Again who is the guy.

Comment

Trump loves US farmers or says he does to get their votes. Many fall for it and still become collateral damage in his quest to make America great.

Perhaps Trudeau could do more, but why bother? In your estimation everything that goes wrong is his fault regardless of the issue.

There is not much to gain from voters who have such a biased view of the world.

I wouldn't pay attention to anyone who makes homophobic remarks.

Conservative politicians have often been seen at ethnic celebrations wearing ethnic dress and participating in ethnic dance. I guess they are all gay too. LOL

How can you bring yourself to vote for them if it bothers you so much?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...