• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Touchy Subject

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
    Wow. I have been totally ignorant of this situation. It goes to show how easily I became regional and self absorbed.
    Hopefully there is some kind of solution in your meetings. It may take some time but my experience is the market will find a “best case scenario “ and the grain will sell so do not dump it in the bush yet.
    Well another dump of snow is helping the corn safely avoid destruction or dumping!

There will be markets develop for the infected corn and some facilities are taking it in at either the owner's speculative risk, or if the owner wants to cash it out, they may do so at a sharply discounted price.

So it's not a complete write-off now, although a few guys did destroy their crop or dump harvested loads in the bush. Literally.

Could leave it in the field until spring and then harvest it dry But if we get a lot of warm wet weather it will only increase the toxin levels.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
      Well another dump of snow is helping the corn safely avoid destruction or dumping!

There will be markets develop for the infected corn and some facilities are taking it in at either the owner's speculative risk, or if the owner wants to cash it out, they may do so at a sharply discounted price.

So it's not a complete write-off now, although a few guys did destroy their crop or dump harvested loads in the bush. Literally.

Could leave it in the field until spring and then harvest it dry But if we get a lot of warm wet weather it will only increase the toxin levels.
      The hemp food processing industry uses a product called Neo Pur.
      Agri-Neo. Manufactured in Ontario. This product may help your plight, I do not know exactly but it may be worth studying.

http://agri-neo.com/neo-pure/

Comment

Turned snappin' cold the past couple of days. After a nasty snow squall on Wednesday, it dropped to -16 that night and the sun came out a bit yesterday.

So the combines fired up - if they weren't frozen up - and from a jet window the corn fields must have looked like an army of ants swarming with machinery.

A pile of corn came off yesterday, including our little patch.

The DON issue is very strange and unpredictable. Our corn started out pretty ugly on the lighter soils but cleaned up nicely for over half of it. We put most of it in the bin and the rest to an elevator that is receiving high Vom corn.

The extent of the problem is becoming clearer every day. Testing out-bound loads of dry corn is meaningless because the receiver - ethanol, starch, feed mills, etc, - test it at their end and often have a much higher DON reading. "REJECTED".

Guys have hauled the same load of corn to 3 plants and had it rejected.

So I'm wondering if there will be a market for Western barley into our feed trade this year. The sow guys have an extremely low tolerance for the toxins that are so prevalent and hard to accurately test for in the 2018 Ontario corn crop. And the US is having some issues as well.

It's a big problem.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...