• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who wants their checkoff money back?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's kind of disheartening. When I was on a commission I worked my ass off, and my farm seriously suffered for it by being away a lot and not doing things in a timely manner. I saw and knew what was being done because I was a part of it - and it took that buck a tonne and critical and amazing things were done with it. An absolute best investment a farmer could ever make. But even then struggled to show that to funding farmers because there was no easy fast food way to show all the things happening. No one wants to take the time to read 100 pages, its just easier to bitch complain and have your accountant apply for a refund.

Now a decade later I sit here and think, what do these guys do. The biggest criticism of farm commissions is the transfer to us little people funders what they do in an efficient and effective manner.

How to do that, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by wd9 View Post
      It's kind of disheartening. When I was on a commission I worked my ass off, and my farm seriously suffered for it by being away a lot and not doing things in a timely manner. I saw and knew what was being done because I was a part of it - and it took that buck a tonne and critical and amazing things were done with it. An absolute best investment a farmer could ever make. But even then struggled to show that to funding farmers because there was no easy fast food way to show all the things happening. No one wants to take the time to read 100 pages, its just easier to bitch complain and have your accountant apply for a refund.

Now a decade later I sit here and think, what do these guys do. The biggest criticism of farm commissions is the transfer to us little people funders what they do in an efficient and effective manner.

How to do that, I don't know.
      They could start by putting more info on their projects on their website....

Maybe more meeting in smaller towns where producers can interact...areas have different issues ...no sense in going to north of Saskatoon about growing lentils or peas....it's different

Been asking for years to have the crop show on the internet where I don't have to go out in minus 40 to interact and ask questions...If I want to look at the physical show I would drive up...BTW I would pay the admission fee for a internet connection to interact with whats going on...could just type my questions in as the discussion goes...
      Last edited by bucket; Nov 9, 2018, 08:48.

Comment

Really good suggestions bucket. Too bad no one from any commissions seem to be listening.

Comment

Really good suggestions bucket. Too bad no one from any commissions seem to be listening.
          Yup if I had known there wouldn't be a saskpulse election this year...I would have taken more time to consider running......not the right time for me to put 3 or 6 years into that. ...

I think elections during fall work or harvest is stupid....winter is the right time...

The current boards really have the blinders on.....they all have a very myopic or tunnel vision view on things right now....

Very disappointed. ....

Comment

I leave mine in.
            Not sure what hasn't been said.
            Replace "wheat" with any another commodity like "lumber", just for example.
            What %rev spent on R&D or lobbying or market development???
            Problem here is we have maybe 30-40000 CEOs with an opinion. And a long tradiion of being a mushroom.
            Agree some commissions lame.

Comment

Why not force the commodity check-off orgs to fight the seed royalty changes and then force them to pool the check-off money to develop a few varieties that farmers own?

Comment

If you are in Alberta you can attend 1 of the 12 growers meetings to learn about what Alberta Canola does on behalf of the canola growers in Alberta. These meetings happen every year in November.

Times and locations can be found here: https://albertacanola.com/events/category/pyp-tour/

Our Annual Reports are also located on the website and they provide a listing of the projects and activities. Alberta growers might have seen the news and events brochure mailed to all growers as well.

You can also call at 780-454-0844 or email ward@albertacanola.com. Always open to ideas on how to further extend this information.

Ward Toma
                General Manager
                Alberta Canola

Comment

Originally posted by ward.toma View Post
                  If you are in Alberta you can attend 1 of the 12 growers meetings to learn about what Alberta Canola does on behalf of the canola growers in Alberta. These meetings happen every year in November.

Times and locations can be found here: https://albertacanola.com/events/category/pyp-tour/

Our Annual Reports are also located on the website and they provide a listing of the projects and activities. Alberta growers might have seen the news and events brochure mailed to all growers as well.

You can also call at 780-454-0844 or email ward@albertacanola.com. Always open to ideas on how to further extend this information.

Ward Toma
                  General Manager
                  Alberta Canola
                  But can you participate from the comfort of your own home and engage...then go get something done instead of wasting a couple days at a meeting.....sorry to say but my time is worth as much at the farm still as presenters at a meeting....some people don't think that way.

Comment

Ward Toma
                    General Manager
                    Alberta Canola
                    first thing is seed companies need to be told by someone (maybe canola councils) that farmers can't keep paying more and more every year for seed ?
                    they need to be asked why old varities that could be used for seed because patent is off , are de registered by govt ?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                      first thing is seed companies need to be told by someone (maybe canola councils) that farmers can't keep paying more and more every year for seed ?
                      they need to be asked why old varities that could be used for seed because patent is off , are de registered by govt ?
                      We have asked that question because there are farms where those varieties are wanted. However, because it is the owner of the seed that de-registers the variety, the CFIA is powerless to stop them and has not been receptive to the idea of changing that.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                        But can you participate from the comfort of your own home and engage...then go get something done instead of wasting a couple days at a meeting.....sorry to say but my time is worth as much at the farm still as presenters at a meeting....some people don't think that way.
                        No, we do not have the capacity to have interactive live streaming of these events. The video report we present at the meetings is on the website so it can be viewed at home, as is the annual report. And you can always engage in person with the directors as their contact info is on the web page as well.

Comment

We have asked that question because there are farms where those varieties are wanted. However, because it is the owner of the seed that de-registers the variety, the CFIA is powerless to stop them and has not been receptive to the idea of changing that.
                          "....THE CFIA IS POWERLESS...."

Now that is a rude newsflash awakening(sarcasm). So the rights of the SeedCo supercede the CFIA. So the dog continues to wag the tail. If they don't like Canadian rules that might keep them from holding ransom and raping the public, maybe they can set up shop in some other jurisdiction of the world where unfettered capitalism doesn't exist! ...exercise their rights there.

Every single ****en facet of the Canadian Ag Industry needs a wake up call and reality check, time for some of these assholes to realize the sky is NOT the limit.

Edit in....that's as diplomatic as I can make it. No commission director seat for me! Some days I think we need to stop asking and start telling.
                          Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 14, 2018, 17:11.

Comment

No, we do not have the capacity to have interactive live streaming of these events. The video report we present at the meetings is on the website so it can be viewed at home, as is the annual report. And you can always engage in person with the directors as their contact info is on the web page as well.
                            Sure ,,,thanks ,,,,I engaged with directors of Saskpulse only to somehow end up being told about the Wheat board days...My first response was WTF does that have to do with what we are talking about....There are some incredibly ****ing stupid people on these boards while others like to pat themselves on their back....

Comment

i buy certified canola seed for 75/acre, now im going to be paying end point royalties that will like go up every year like everything else does, and these groups want me to keep paying check off fees for reasearch and development. this is starting to become UNBELIEVABLE. Once end point royalties begin, ALL checkoffs must become voluntary, and automatic should farmers decide to opt out. no more looking for forms, meeting random deadlines, fillout redundant delivery information that is already stored on every graincos computer network. if i opt out, nothing is deducted from my cheques, and no forms to fill out.

Comment

Holy smokes folks, someone had to call me and say did you read this thread, so I did.

Lots of input. Way to go for asking, that is the step that matters: ask and demand an answer.

The mandatory levy was an investment which manifested itself initially in a seed program the CDC, why the HELL we did not own the company I have no idea, because LIMAGRAIN is a farmer owned highly successful model, which we did not follow. Why? I have no idea. WE now will have to pay Royalties, and do not receive any of the dividends of the intellectual property we built. Go figure, we are just not that smart collectively it seems, and we have lots of history to prove this!

I let my name stand for the board in opposition to the "granting" of niche market seeds to particular companies, and my objection to, but the reality is after 2020 the SPG agreement to commercialize pulse varieties ends and the question of how varieties may be commercialized post 2020 has not been asnwered. Will it be a tender process, like Ag Canada varieties, but if it is who is on the committee, who will decide, how will the process be managed, and so I am asking:
                                After the SPG commercialization agreement ends what is the process: how will varieties be awarded after the 2020 agreement ends.

I ask the BOD of SPG.
                                I ask the Gov of Sask.

I have no answer. Its a tough question.

The CDC is a publicly funded institution, part of the U of S, funded by our levy dollars, funded by taxpayers. In today's world conflict of interest is a fact of life, we all own shares, we all have vested interest some more than others; conflict of interest is a modern problem one that makes a process which forces balance, transparency & accountability necessary, and so I ask if the CDC/SPG commercialization agreement is not renewed what follows.

No one has answered and they should be asked.

Does the CDC get to decide? Should they get to decide, what is the potential for conflict of interest, & undue influence is real. In the public investment of plant genetics, everyone has shares, everyone has vested interests & a process of balance will be necessary.

All questions that should have answers.

2020 is not that far off, any process needs to be defined, negotiated, and indeed should vetted with the investors. I am bias but as founding investors pulse growers should have a voice at the very least through the SPG Board.

Ask.

As to how boards run, well in most cases like minds elect the chair, start there to ask questions.
                                Go alongs get along best, I always vote for the newcomer as they may have new ideas especially if indeed they have a history of having an analytic mind no matter the politics.

While I agree and support investment in farmer directed associations, in reality if you pay the piper you should call the tune, (in theory at least) the fact is we have WAY to many associations, provincially, commodity and even nationally. Through these boards we spend millions on research, targeted to benefit the industry) I would suggest we spend too little on the variety performance data which is the one vital ingredient which returns actual dollars, and to that effect I have lobbied the committee to ask more money from farm organization to standardize annual date.

But to be quite frank most of you spend more time on Agriville than calling a director, a chair to ask.

Ask.

And then insist on answers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...