• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soil samples...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We always take soil samples.

Out of total farm, I base our samples on Blocks of Land and Pinpoint tests. GPS locations same area each year.

I also base these same fields on Soil Class and Rain amounts long-term trends.

Basically 12 fields out of the total. Same each year.

Then if we have any fields that something didn't look right we do those fields.

Had one this year than last year produced way less on HRS than all others. I found issues and changed up some Fert and it was one of the best this year. It had issues with being mined for more years before we bought it than most in that area. Seed burn seed burn seed burn very little fert.

Pig shit is also an extra.

Then I get them to do high yield projections.

HRS 78
    Canola 62
    Barley 110
    Peas 75

Look at results and costs etc.

Then get them to redo a scenario with less projected summer rain.

HRS 50
    Canola 40
    Barley 80
    Peas 50

Compare the two and come up with a plan and then if it's a decent spring we just up or down.

I do tissue tests in June to see if I'm doing ok with my projections.

Funny pig shit took a farm that was the only fert. three times since broke according to the previous owner and made it in 10 years one of the better around.

It seems to work as I can keep up or pass the advisors who charge for helping the farmer get ahead.

Comment

This map probably says it all. Remember lines have to be drawn some place and at those boundry lines are "grey areas of transition". Area moisture has a huge impact on soil development over time.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

N is dismal in my fields. How much mineralization(?) can I count on? There is enough residue on some fields and has been for a while, I would think it has to be cycling for years already.
        That's where your soil micro-biology is important. The living things under the soil are what convert the residue for you. My cows convert a crop into residue these critters feed on and they in turn feed the soil. So many people view the soil as a dead medium to put the seeds and inputs into every year to grow a crop which they then remove. It's why we try to keep something growing in the soil every day we can and why we avoid chemicals wherever possible as they kill the underground workers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...