• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola and club root

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola and club root

Apparently 37 fields in northern and central Sask have been found to have club root infections and the farmers with such fields are being contacted now. I imagine that being a very depressing phone call.
    At the same time I am pricing canola seed and seed costs is just nuts and the fact that soon there might not even be able to get seed treatments for flea beetles.

Kind of looks like what has been a very good crop for us in the north is losing a lot of its shine.

I just don't know what I would replace it with!

I remember a conversation with a neighbor where one of his points was, legally nobody can tell him how to rotate his crops. If the farmer controls tens of thousands of acres, who “finds” the clubroot? Seems to me they would tell any poke noses to **** off.
    Hopefully this is not true because everybody relies on canola for profit. I don’t know of other crops that will be as profitable as canola. Ritchie Brothers will have a glut of newer machinery as farms do a little restructuring.

Comment

Around here the county is inspecting your canola. Field in area was found with clubroot last year. It produced a volunteer crop of canola in 17 after the 16 crop was spring thrashed in May of 17. Volunteer crop found with clubroot. You then are banned from canola on that land for at least three years.

Comment

So how is it being spread to new areas. Large farmers moving a 100 miles, custom guys, oilfield construction. Would be interesting to see the incidences overlayed on a map over a timeline. Just curious if all these new case are related.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheatking View Post
          So how is it being spread to new areas. Large farmers moving a 100 miles, custom guys, oilfield construction. Would be interesting to see the incidences overlayed on a map over a timeline. Just curious if all these new case are related.
          Probably spread the same way the roundup ready wheat was found in a ditch...

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            Probably spread the same way the roundup ready wheat was found in a ditch...
            Are you suggesting “follow the money”?

Comment

I quit hiring custom sprayers and floaters etc. Too risky. Ag people leave their vehicles on the road. But what's on the road from who knows where ?

Comment

That's a good question How is it spreading?

Another question is how a group of government agronomist can go out late in the summer after most canola is swathed or combined and just randomly look in fields and find that much club root while all of the farmers are unaware its there.

Comment

Correct me if wrong.
                  A billion spores in a gram or so of soil.
                  If you're gonna get it, you're gonna get it. Eventually.
                  How much soil in air when harrowing?
                  Some counties here scout in season.
                  I believe the mandatory rotation dictates are gone. Finding a little every year. Expanding, but not the disaster predicted.

Comment

Hunters , poachers, trespassers, quads etc. likely not helping

Comment

Not necessarily in a hot spot area, but being that mustard is an integral part of my rotation, there is NO clubfoot resistance. Hunters could give a shit about a "no hunting", or "no trespassing" sign... Have seriously considered posting "no admittance, bio-security program in effect", hoping it resonates slightly stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                        Not necessarily in a hot spot area, but being that mustard is an integral part of my rotation, there is NO clubfoot resistance. Hunters could give a shit about a "no hunting", or "no trespassing" sign... Have seriously considered posting "no admittance, bio-security program in effect", hoping it resonates slightly stronger.
                        Lol Helmsdale..."clubfoot" is that condition specific to mustard only? All types? I had a kid born with mild clubfoot, they casted it straight. Good to go....

Auto correct sure can be entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          Lol Helmsdale..."clubfoot" is that condition specific to mustard only? All types? I had a kid born with mild clubfoot, they casted it straight. Good to go....

Auto correct sure can be entertaining.
                          Ducking autocorrect...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...