• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soybeans...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soybeans...

How have soybeans been yielding in your area?
    Here some guys have gotten onto their's and they're grumbling about poor yields.
    At $11.25/bu with the poor yields and for some people high land rent it will be hard to turn a profit on these things when you take all fixed and variable costs into consideration.

I would love to try them but I am not totally convinced they are a crop for our area, especially on some of our lightest land. In this area they missed that last late crucial rain.

I bet the RR2 seed companies are making more dollars per acre than some of the producers are netting! Sad.

In my area many are from 27 - 32 bu per acre. Its not like in recent years but far better that expected. They were wilting in Aug.

Comment

Seed companies are making good $.
      Keep hearing a lot of Saskatchewan examples of 18,22,25 bushels per acre.

Maybe a lower risk RR1 option is better?

Comment

Yield sucks. Barely broke 20. Before this year it was 2011 I grew them last. I'm waiting at least 7 more years before I try again.

Comment

Most in our area are in the 30-40 range. Some as high as 50. Mostly due to August rain. Those that missed it are at the lower end. Some frost damage and green seeds.

Comment

I won't be surprised if soybean acres are greatly reduced next year.

Comment

In 2016 we had a terrific crop but never had soybeans. Our green peas ran 60(a rarity here), it rained frequently but disease never set in. Soybeans probably would have done well that year.

2015 and 17 were kinda poor crops here and this year the beans could have really used a good shot at the end of July beginning of August...they shut down "early" instead.

I'm not liking those odds...but next year could be the year again...next year country. I seem to remember parts of the Prairies being classified as "semi-arid"...hmmmm. Here it seems it can, and does, go either way.

Luck I guess...er I mean "management". And I might just rely on my management skills to be lucky and not seed any.

Comment

will find out tomorrow if soybeans made sense this year...

Where yellow pea bids are today and soybean prices I will gladly take a 20 bushel crop of r1 soybeans over my pea crop

Comment

Soybeans have been fantastic for southern Manitoba. Lots of money has been made from them the last 10 years or so! Canola is a forgot crop in many areas of the province.

Comment

They look a real mixed bag around here - some good stands and others so sparse you'd hardly know there was a crop at all. They didn't take the June hail well. More poor soybeans than any other crop in my immediate area this year.

Comment

If this run of decent weather holds, will be involved in harvesting a soybean field in this area NE of Edmonton. Looked good at summer as this field got timely rainfall but the combine will tell the story. Hope they are successful as we do need alternatives to the wheat canola rotation around here.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post

Where yellow pea bids are today and soybean prices I will gladly take a 20 bushel crop of r1 soybeans over my pea crop
                        Good points and from a risk perspective I totally agree the R1 option is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post

But I don't know what these things are going to yield.....2016 was a great year....2017 not so much....

Call me stupid but you basically have to sacrifice your lentil crop to the rain gods in late July early August to get a good soybean crop....

I am OK with that....no one wants lentils anyway...

That's what happened in 2016....

Still got paid twice as well for a 3 red lentil in 2016 than today's 2 red though.....go figure. .

Comment

Is there any danger of the RR1 varieties being "deregistered" for no good reason other than the SeedCos not being able to capitalize on them any longer?

Comment

Neighbours beans yield may cover seed cost. So he said. No August rain period.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...