• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola into Airation

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola into Airation

Whats the max moisture you would put Canola into airation? Canola is at 12.8. Have Nov contracts to move a fair bit. I don’t have much experience with tough Canola.

It’s dynamite if it goes in warm. Same boat here. Grain temp 9 to 12c. If you can put air to it might keep for a bit. Wouldn’t hurt to turn it when it’s cold outside after a week or 2. Remember putting some 9.9 canola in an oil tank. Sat there for 10 months with the lid off cause oil tanks have bugger all for vents. Pulled it out and no spoilage but it was binned under 10c. Last couple years binned canola 8.5 to 10 but at least 20c going in. Had some heating in bins I didn’t pull a load out of a month later. I’m no expert and would be scared to sit on 12% canola unless I could turn it regularly.

Comment

U be fine if u keep the fan on til u move it. Not sure it will dry much with these temps but it won’t heat. Too cold out with the fan running.

Comment

Maybe I got lucky but a couple yrs ago we did quite a bunch of canola around 12%, didn't have air bins to put it in and story at the elevator was always they'd take it in a week or so. Long story short I ended up sitting on it for 3 months without turning it and it was just fine. I would think if you can run some air through it you will be just fine.

Comment

Last year temp/moist cables sure showed how height of grain on floor dictates what moves through it. Binned some 12. Kept it cold. But had to pull it out for air to dry it in May.
          I feel cables are cheap!

Comment

Even with air blowing I’d turn it or pull a load after a week especially if you don’t have temp cables. Lost a tandem load a few years ago before having a dryer and it makes us gun shy. Last year we had 20+% in the bins which we froze up right after combining and pulled loads regularly till it went through the dryer. We got cables in each bin but turning it is the only way to find out for sure that it’s safe.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerSmuck View Post
              Whats the max moisture you would put Canola into airation? Canola is at 12.8. Have Nov contracts to move a fair bit. I don’t have much experience with tough Canola.
              I wouldn’t hesitate if you leave fans on and also have temperature cables.

You could also add supplemental heat in front of aeration fan and dry the canola as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post

Maybe I got lucky but a couple yrs ago we did quite a bunch of canola around 12%, didn't have air bins to put it in and story at the elevator was always they'd take it in a week or so. Long story short I ended up sitting on it for 3 months without turning it and it was just fine. I would think if you can run some air through it you will be just fine.
                I once tried to use that chart, turns out it stops long before 20% and doesn't go below 0C so isn't much help in our extreme conditions...

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                  I once tried to use that chart, turns out it stops long before 20% and doesn't go below 0C so isn't much help in our extreme conditions...
                  Kinda like the past two years and this year possibly if it ever straightens out. If not it’ll be dry in May when ours will likely get done. Currently raining again here.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...