• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Absolute Foolishness - Chuck and Grass You'll probably agree with me.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by binthere View Post
    So Chuck we can assume you have adjusted and your solar system has been installed and working fine.or is it still do as I say not as I do.
    The liberal way

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
      The liberal way
      Just signed a contract for one to be installed this year.

Without a subsidy the estimated cost for a Kwh is 6.9 cents over 30 years. Saskpower is currently charging 11.8 cents for farms and it will go up alot in 30 years.

So who said that Solar needs a subsidy?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
        Yes I agree it is a concern. But in this land of waste and mismanagement there are a lot of stupid things that are going on when it comes to energy usage.

Blockchain technology is here and has a lot of potential benefits. Engineers are developing more energy efficient computer and internet systems.

So do you agree a project like this should have an environment review? This is literally burning fossil fuels for perwonal riches with no spinoff or ancillary benefits.

At least an oil company produces fuel oil and chemical for the world to use.

A gold mine produces gold that is sold on and used for jewlery, IC's instruments etc.

The thing is there is a finite number of bitcoiins. Every time one is mined it is harder to mine more requiring more power and processing to gain the next one. The cost of power vs Bitcoin mined becomes a smaller and smaller margin.

Mining rigs (that's what the specialized systems are called) are designed for only mining....

You are right blockvhain is neat tech and can fill a lot of voids.

However Bitcoin has no intrinsic ability to fill contracts or transfer information or conditions with the currency, unlike Etherium

Block chain is like saying tractor. Bitcoin is like saying a Massey 2705

Tractors have a huge impact on the world. Massey 2705s just gave them a bad name and irritated their owners.

Comment

Without a subsidy the estimated cost for a Kwh is 6.9 cents over 30 years. Saskpower is currently charging 11.8 cents for farms and it will go up alot in 30 years.

Since you now have offered a snippet to suggest you may have some connection to ag in Western Canada, I will respond. What is the cost of the associated energy storage to make your solar installation viable 24/7 over that same 30 year period? If you want to compare the cost to the utility power rate which is available 24/7 and 365 days a year at that cost, even on Midnight December 21, compare apples to apples. Solar cost per Kwh is much different at noon in June vs. evening in December(when western Canadians actually need the most power).

What is the opportunity cost over that same 30 year period? What is the expected effective lifespan? Can you get 30 year financing on solar installations, with locked in interest rates?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
            Since you now have offered a snippet to suggest you may have some connection to ag in Western Canada, I will respond. What is the cost of the associated energy storage to make your solar installation viable 24/7 over that same 30 year period? If you want to compare the cost to the utility power rate which is available 24/7 and 365 days a year at that cost, even on Midnight December 21, compare apples to apples. Solar cost per Kwh is much different at noon in June vs. evening in December(when western Canadians actually need the most power).

What is the opportunity cost over that same 30 year period? What is the expected effective lifespan? Can you get 30 year financing on solar installations, with locked in interest rates?
            Don't feed the trolls! Haha

Don't need energy storage as Saskpower has a net metering program. The grid is my storage.

My system will generate about what my average use is over the whole year. This will mean less coal and gas will be burned on my behalf which helps reduce my greenhouse gas emissions.

Storage systems are already being deployed in some cases for residential and on a utility scale. Bloomberg is predicting lots of lower cost storage options by 2050.

My estimate didn't include a lost opportunity cost for the money. That is a small cost. Paying cash no interest. Cost is similar to a nice diesel pickup and a whole lot more reliable. You should be able to finance it.

Lifespan is about 30 years for the panels. In 30 years the cost of panels will be lower and the efficiency will be much higher.

My peak energy usage is in August and September when the aeration fans are running. It makes no economic sense to size a system to cover peak usage when the the grid will cover that period. Winter is a low period of usage for us as we use gas for heating.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
              Computers, at maximum power give off 30% of their power consumption as heat. 19Mw of electricity goes to producing waste heat. .
              If not heat, what is the other 70% given off as?

Comment

Originally posted by wd9 View Post
                If not heat, what is the other 70% given off as?
                I think someone out there doesn't understand the technical definition of work. Can a computer perform work, or is 100 % of the energy converted to heat?

Comment

Chuck, so what you are saying is that the rest of the grid users are subsidizing your system by providing on demand energy for you to use as storage and paying for a more unstable grid. Storage is paid for, one way or the other.

Go into the boardroom of any company and tell them they don't need to worry about opportunity cost of their capital.

Comment

That equipment will wear out or be obsolete before its ever paid off. Life of panels is only about 20 yrs. And in 20 yrs solar will be so cheap and installed everywhere, it will be near free. Windmills spend more time down for maintenance and for safety in big winds than they are running.

Your project is already a dinosaur.

And to get into a business deal with the govt has to be the definition of insanity.

Comment

30 years?? Bahaha

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                        Chuck, so what you are saying is that the rest of the grid users are subsidizing your system by providing on demand energy for you to use as storage and paying for a more unstable grid. Storage is paid for, one way or the other.

Go into the boardroom of any company and tell them they don't need to worry about opportunity cost of their capital.
                        Sask Power is also investing in wind, solar and gas. Where is your evidence that this is going to cause an unstable grid? Sask-Power 50% renewables by 2030!

In this case I am covering the capital investment cost and supplying Saskpower's grid for other users when I have a surplus of low carbon electricity. So who is subsidizing who?

Whats the opportunity cost on your farm machinery and land?

In my case, this investment will more than pay for itself over its lifetime and lock in electricity at a cost of less than 7 cents a kwh for 30 years. And you think it is a bad investment?

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                          That equipment will wear out or be obsolete before its ever paid off. Life of panels is only about 20 yrs. And in 20 yrs solar will be so cheap and installed everywhere, it will be near free. Windmills spend more time down for maintenance and for safety in big winds than they are running.

Your project is already a dinosaur.

And to get into a business deal with the govt has to be the definition of insanity.
                          So you think utilities are going to give away their solar power for free! LMAO

Tier 1 panels come with 20 - 25 year performance guarantees in the 80 - 85% range. The actual life of panels will be longer.

Panels will be cheaper and more efficient in the future so replacing panels will cost less down the road.
                          Last edited by chuckChuck; Sep 25, 2018, 13:30.

Comment

For sure no telling where distribution costs going in future. House electricity really a pittance anyway.
                            If someone investing in a 30 year depreciable asset with cash, go for it.

Comment

It will be interesting to hear how your solar energy system pans out for you. Glad to hear you put your money where your opinion is or “you practice what you preach”. You will be doubly grateful for sunshine. 1. It will use CO2 to produce green growth and food and keep your solar unit pumping!👍

Comment

Good for you Chuck. Solar has intrigued me since about grade 9 when the science teacher told us how the whole world would be using free energy from the sun in just a few short years. Being about 13 or 14 years old I thought that idea sure sounded good but that was in 1976 and all these years later we are about at the same spot.

Keep us updated with the installation process and how it turns out please. Pictures would also be helpful for a simple dirt farmer.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...