• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So if supply management issue will save Canada then why not?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
    A lot of those dairies on Dr Pol are either subsidizing their operations with off-farm income, or getting a healthy kick-back from the show itself, I am sure you could find out how much if you went looking for the info. Those types everywhere in the US are going down the tubes daily. My buddy in Wadena, MN told me on the phone the other night that there are 2 dairy dispersals every week in his area. Some guys are buying beef calves to feed and some are just walking away from livestock entirely and letting the croppers fist fight each other to rent the land. And some 60 to 70 year old guys are so attached to their cows that they are selling land to keep themselves afloat, hoping that prices go up, hemorrhaging cash and equity along the way. A lot of those cases, he said, will likely end up in bankruptcy and suicide as some have happened already. It is all the last generation producers getting out or losing their contracts. Processors don't want to mess with 30 or 40 cow herds anymore.

These are the guys they want milk from. Not just fill a tanker, but multiple tanker loads a day.
    http://www.leadertelegram.com/News/Front-Page/2018/09/03/div-class-libPageBodyLinebreak-Bullish-on-Big-Dairy-div.html http://www.leadertelegram.com/News/Front-Page/2018/09/03/div-class-libPageBodyLinebreak-Bullish-on-Big-Dairy-div.html
    Sad situation

Comment

A lot of those dairies on Dr Pol are either subsidizing their operations with off-farm income, or getting a healthy kick-back from the show itself, I am sure you could find out how much if you went looking for the info. Those types everywhere in the US are going down the tubes daily. My buddy in Wadena, MN told me on the phone the other night that there are 2 dairy dispersals every week in his area. Some guys are buying beef calves to feed and some are just walking away from livestock entirely and letting the croppers fist fight each other to rent the land. And some 60 to 70 year old guys are so attached to their cows that they are selling land to keep themselves afloat, hoping that prices go up, hemorrhaging cash and equity along the way. A lot of those cases, he said, will likely end up in bankruptcy and suicide as some have happened already. It is all the last generation producers getting out or losing their contracts. Processors don't want to mess with 30 or 40 cow herds anymore.
      And this folks is why we should hold onto SM in Canada - this is the alternative, the failed model used in the US. Despite huge Government spending on bailouts its still failing. Much better the system we have.

Comment

lot off misinformation grassfarmer about S-M !

cost plus ,protected, guaranteed profit , quota price on the expence side etc !

why is the cost of a piece of paper for a million on 20 milkcow ,s quota or small poultry right !

Canada has the highest milk and chicken price in the world compared to Europa and many free enterprice farming system
        we are not on plain level field with hog ,beef, fruit vegetable income
        yes I doin,t blame S-M losing this no risk, controlled supply bought out by only a few large money offered peace of paper !

again and again I said before kill S-M AND WE ALL ARE ON THE SAME LEVEL FREE ENTERPICE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by agboy View Post
          lot off misinformation grassfarmer about S-M !

Canada has the highest milk and chicken price in the world compared to Europa and many free enterprice farming system
          Yes, thanks for adding more misinformation. Canadian milk is cheaper than Australia, NewZealand, France and even lower than the rBST-free milk sold in the US!

http://www.realagriculture.com/2018/04/dairy-price-study-finds-canadians-dont-pay-more-for-milk/ http://https://www.realagriculture.com/2018/04/dairy-price-study-finds-canadians-dont-pay-more-for-milk/

You are right about one thing but I know it's not what you meant - Canadian farmers receive a higher price for their milk than in almost any western/first world country. The difference between here and elsewhere is that the potential for excessive profiteering in the processing sector is regulated.

Comment

never heard of BSE FREE MILK ! FROM USA GRASSFARMER !!!
            AND BY THE WAY S-M SYSTEM CAN NOT BRING IN MILK FROM U-S-A
            CANADA HAS BSE FREE S-M MILK ???

KEEP ME INFORMED DAIRYMAN !!

Comment

Maybe get your glasses checked? BST not BSE. If you don't know what BST is maybe you shouldn't be arguing about an issue you know nothing of?

And we do let a lot of US dairy products into Canada.

"Despite Canadian barriers, in fact, the United States last year (2017) ran a $474 million trade surplus in dairy with Canada: It exported $636 million in dairy products to Canada and imported $162 million, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture."

And I've never owned or milked a dairy cow in my life.

Comment

It seems that the success of the NAFTA negotiations hinges on Supply Management. Confirmed today! Hard to believe that one dinky industry will lead to our ruination. Trump has no problem saying he can ruin Canada with auto tariffs. I am tariffied!

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                  It seems that the success of the NAFTA negotiations hinges on Supply Management. Confirmed today! Hard to believe that one dinky industry will lead to our ruination. Trump has no problem saying he can ruin Canada with auto tariffs. I am tariffied!
                  Yep. Lots of dairy farms might get burnt down by unemployed auto workers. I know I would be pissed. Maybe light a hay stack up. Glad I live far from such/most people.

But I don't think so. I think dairy will be sacrificed for the majority in auto. But then again, Dumbo never ceases to disappoint me.

Comment

Yep. Lots of dairy farms might get burnt down by unemployed auto workers. I know I would be pissed. Maybe light a hay stack up. Glad I live far from such/most people.

But I don't think so. I think dairy will be sacrificed for the majority in auto. But then again, Dumbo never ceases to disappoint me.
                    Which dumbo would you be referring to as the conservatives the other day endorsed support for supply management totally. Lol But I give them credit they could have been sleezy and played it
                    Quiet at least this way we know where hey stand. And the right answer on sm will be determined by what they can get if they have to end it.

The more we see what's going on as bad as some may want to post blame on truduea let's face it he's tryiing to make a deal with someone that his own staff referr to as deranged, amoral, a liar, untrustable,lack of leadership, racist, loser. Yes that's the Donald.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                      The more we see what's going on as bad as some may want to post blame on truduea let's face it he's tryiing to make a deal with someone.
                      Trudeau is now worried about the CBC being protected as a deal breaker for NAFTA.....since it is a "cultural" item. I don't think Justin really is too concerned if there is a deal done or not.

So now Trudeau's 4 biggest deal breakers are:

1. Gender issues
                      2. Climate change/Environmental
                      3. Aboriginal issues
                      4. CBC culture issues

🙈
                      Last edited by Oliver88; Sep 8, 2018, 06:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
                        Grass, that's the major problem is the jacking up of quota prices and then adding them to cost of production. Quota was free and should have remained so, those that talk about what it would cost to buy out the quotas,, why buy something back that was a gift in the first place, most of the quota is still in the family that got it free in family transfers with inflated price.
                        This is interesting.

So one of the main costs of production is basically an industry driven "barrier to entry" scheme?
                        Last edited by Oliver88; Sep 8, 2018, 06:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                          This is interesting.

So one of the main costs of production is basically an industry driven "barrier to entry" scheme.
                          And it was created out of nothing like bitcoin if you want an analogy...

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
                            Grass, that's the major problem is the jacking up of quota prices and then adding them to cost of production. Quota was free and should have remained so, those that talk about what it would cost to buy out the quotas,, why buy something back that was a gift in the first place, most of the quota is still in the family that got it free in family transfers with inflated price.
                            The poultry board had a waiting list for bird quota. In about 1974, we applied and were put on the quota list. Years went on and occasionally we would get updates as we moved up the list to about 8 th place. Then, in about 2000, we received a letter that the list was abolished —— so there! Do you think that decision manipulated the price of quota artificially? It seemed that existing producers controlled the board and just eliminated new entrants but were able to expand their operations. What was free quota turned into expensive quota and that ‘cost’ was added to the cost of poultry to the consumer. Aw, the power of the marketplace!

Comment

Sounds right, neighbor added 3 barns about then, but new guys were shut out??? WTF? This all stinks like insider trading, BTO's ruining STO's, furthest from free enterprise. Time to kill the rotten OLD SM goose.

Comment

And this is the elite entitlement that we support and protect? Then we stand tall and pound our chests and sacrifice our trade relationships for?

Every consumer pays for it everyday in the milk jug, the eggs in the fridge and the chicken in the pot. Is this reality something you admire Kornychuck?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...