• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soybeans hitting rock bottom

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
    Why should Canadian taxpayers subsidize every farm regardless of whether they need it or not?

Improve the safety net programs, cap them so that we don't enrich the really large farms who gobble up their neighbors. Target the subsidies and support to smaller and medium sized farms before we lose 1000s more.

So many of you guys complain about subsidies to other industries and want government out of the way and then as soon as there is a bump in the road you want to be bailed out too?
    I could be wrong but I don't read it as a lot of guys wanting a government subsidy, more so they don't want to see them in other countries and make it harder to compete out of Canada. Realize that is an impossible reality world wide however.

I completely agree with the point that any of these programs tend to help the large farms, and just like I don't want my tax dollars bailing out the likes of bombardier, I don't think every tax payer should be on the hook to subsidize my farm.

Comment

So many of you guys complain about subsidies to other industries and want government out of the way and then as soon as there is a bump in the road you want to be bailed out too?

What do you do for a paycheck?

Comment

drive the country side, lots of new massive bins, multimillion dollar grain leg overhead bin systems, yards full of JD new equipment, 500K air seeders selling like mad, even when we all know they are worthless after a few years. from my view, subsidies are not needed.

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
          drive the country side, lots of new massive bins, multimillion dollar grain leg overhead bin systems, yards full of JD new equipment, 500K air seeders selling like mad, even when we all know they are worthless after a few years. from my view, subsidies are not needed.
          .....all while every other player in the Industry gets to forge ahead? But the Primary Producer is supposed to get left behind? With out Us they're all worthless...don't forget that.
          Last edited by farmaholic; Aug 28, 2018, 18:31.

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
            Precisely. No one is forcing us to grow grain. More than one way to farm. Most just don’t get this.

Comment

My sentiments exact Farma! Most of the parasites are allowed to figure out their margin but we are expected to produce more for less and take what we get and then figure out over how many years we wanna pay for it. Makes perfect sense. Trouble is it’s too late for most of the new age big shots. They are forced to sell no matter what to make the payments. And the treadmill folks on.

Comment

Morris industries got 3.5 million from the government. ..doesn't mean cheaper drills...

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                  Precisely. No one is forcing us to grow grain. More than one way to farm. Most just don’t get this.
                  Exactly Sheepwheat,most do get it but prefer to sit in air conditioned cabs while farming.No one is making us buy those expensive toys,problem is credit is to easy to get.Then when problems happen they expect to be bailed out right away.Go through 10 years of bse and still be standing after its over and then i might have some sympathy!

Comment

Fair comments but why does the steel industry get a commitment from government?

Why does bombardier continue on its drip....

Why are grain cos and railways self regulating?

If you don't support primary production....there is no sense to support the others. ....

Comment

Originally posted by T.N.T. View Post
                      Exactly Sheepwheat,most do get it but prefer to sit in air conditioned cabs while farming.No one is making us buy those expensive toys,problem is credit is to easy to get.Then when problems happen they expect to be bailed out right away.Go through 10 years of bse and still be standing after its over and then i might have some sympathy!
                      No airconditioning fk that!!!

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                        No airconditioning fk that!!!
                        Amen. I just was told today about a heavy diesel mechanic making $260k/year. He might have his education and $10k worth of tools invested. I have several million in land and equipment. Why the **** should I do this for less? It really does get down the the idea that I could call Ritchie Bros and retire at 45 to Hawaii for the rest of my life. Pay me my share of the pie or I will quit. It's not good enough to be all sorts of altruistic and 'feed the world.' I've done my share, fed thousands. I'm a businessman now. **** you, pay me. I honestly think anyone involved in cattle these days failed math in high school. Badly. John Deere wants over $80 000 for a round baler! That doesn't come with a monitor for the cab!

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
                          Amen. I just was told today about a heavy diesel mechanic making $260k/year. He might have his education and $10k worth of tools invested. I have several million in land and equipment. Why the **** should I do this for less? It really does get down the the idea that I could call Ritchie Bros and retire at 45 to Hawaii for the rest of my life. Pay me my share of the pie or I will quit. It's not good enough to be all sorts of altruistic and 'feed the world.' I've done my share, fed thousands. I'm a businessman now. **** you, pay me. I honestly think anyone involved in cattle these days failed math in high school. Badly. John Deere wants over $80 000 for a round baler! That doesn't come with a monitor for the cab!
                          No one is forcing us to buy 80 000 dollar balers! Who just has to have one? Which is a far cry cheaper than anything grain related. Grain carts and headers? Some guys headers are worth more than my entire farming iron. Just gotta have mindset I guess. My baler I bought for 1000 bucks last year. Does me fine. And my tractor air quit on me. I kept on gong, windows open, no problem. Not comfy, but I dealt with it. Most guys need everything these days. I am fine to make do. Thrive on it in fact.

Comment

I am old enough to have combined on an open station combine...went to school the next day and had the reddest eyes in the school. Pitched square bales in hot humid weather in tree lined hay sloughs....without even a cooling breeze. Picked alot of rocks by hand. Summerfallowed in hot cabs. Manured pig, chicken and cattle barns. Shoveled grain out of wooden bins with rods in them in the heat of summer and freezing winter. Baled in an old 4020 that when I drive it today I wonder how I stood the hot conditions and fumes.

Gag, gag, gasp....I'm choking on the silver spoon I was born with in my mouth!!!! Please keep reminding me how "lucky" I am...because I might have it better today than when I was young. I've earned what I have today and in keeping with the tread topic of grain prices...get real upset when someone attempts to steal value from me through playing politics with grain. Or devises some sort of marketing scam or scheme to pass more risk on to me. Or grade unfairly while using the arsenal of CGC endorsed (down)grading determinants to buy my grain for less than fair value!

Ya, the Industry can go **** itself.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                              I am old enough to have combined on an open station combine...went to school the next day and had the reddest eyes in the school. Pitched square bales in hot humid weather in tree lined hay sloughs....without even a cooling breeze. Picked alot of rocks by hand. Summerfallowed in hot cabs. Manured pig, chicken and cattle barns. Shoveled grain out of wooden bins with rods in them in the heat of summer and freezing winter. Baled in an old 4020 that when I drive it today I wonder how I stood the hot conditions and fumes.

Gag, gag, gasp....I'm choking on the silver spoon I was born with in my mouth!!!! Please keep reminding me how "lucky" I am...because I might have it better today than when I was young. I've earned what I have today and in keeping with the tread topic of grain prices...get real upset when someone attempts to steal value from me through playing politics with grain. Or devises some sort of marketing scam or scheme to pass more risk on to me. Or grade unfairly while using the arsenal of CGC endorsed (down)grading determinants to buy my grain for less than fair value!

Ya, the Industry can go **** itself.
                              We must be close to the same age. 🤣
                              I’m amazed how fast a topic can get changed.

Comment

Ditto Farma except the tractor I drove baling was a 730 JD. Maybe 10 years before you but the rest applies

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...