• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter cereals

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter cereals

Getting into recommended time for those of us who grow them to look at seeding conditions.
    Wonder if it is worth time and trouble of hooking up drill and making a pass or two to see what kind of job it would do.

Originally posted by Hopalong View Post
    Getting into recommended time for those of us who grow them to look at seeding conditions.
    Wonder if it is worth time and trouble of hooking up drill and making a pass or two to see what kind of job it would do.
    I bet the clay based ground here would be very lumpy. And basically no measurable rain yet from the current system passing through. Pot holes have big cracks in them again....like last year. Establishing winter cereals here now would likely be very challenging under the current conditions, stay tuned.

Comment

I had some plans to seed all rye on pea stubble....no such luck due to dry and BASF chemical residuals made for a bad choice....

Sort of pisses me off because rye can be very helpful in weed control..

Comment

Western winter wheat initiative says eight inches height of standing canola stubble is optimal for snow trapping.
        Have seeded winter wheat into dry topsoil conditions with mixed results.
        Think it is at least worth a try and go from there depending on appearance and ability to do job.

Comment

most farms quit growing winter wheat around here 3 or 4 yrs ago. , cwrs varieties yield about the same or better, price discount, problems with fusarium, lots of winter kill, plus latest drills can pound in a lot of acres in the spring. some interest in hybrid fall rye, but that market can get over supplied fast with increased acres. too dry to seed this fall anyways, the drill is washed, greased and ready for #plant19

Comment

I like growing rye or winter wheat in order to get a few acres in the fall. that being said the rye crop was fairly poor this year with no may rain. As others said winter wheat yields are similar to spring wheat and you take a big hit on price. The hybrid rye is interesting but seed costs are $65 per acre each year. Im told you need to plant it on your best land and pour the groceries at it to get the best benefit. Kinda think we will over produce the rye market pretty easy if much rye goes in this fall.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...