• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I curse the Rain but its time to start some Dancing again boys!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I curse the Rain but its time to start some Dancing again boys!

From western Alberta all the way to Winnipeg, the southern Prairie has seen less than 40% of normal precipitation over the past 30 days. And even in those mainly more northern areas that have done relatively better in terms of moisture, rainfall has only been 60 to 85% of normal.
    Although the lack of rain is certainly helping to push the harvest along, the situation is becoming increasingly dire for those areas that were already overly dry heading into August and for livestock producers who have seen pastures burn up in the heat and forage production well below normal. Indeed, Thursday’s Saskatchewan crop report pegged topsoil moisture across the province at 75% short to very short as of Monday, described crop yields as ‘highly variable’ depending on rainfall and noted the increased risk of fires.
    Meanwhile, the latest Canadian Agriculture Weather Prognosticator from World Weather Inc. isn’t suggesting any major turnaround, at least in the short term.
    Although improved precipitation is expected in late September and October, current subsoil moisture deficits are expected to largely remain, especially in those areas – including portions of eastern Alberta and western Saskatchewan – where rainfall may remain stubbornly low, World Weather said.
    If that is the case, some Prairie producers may again be looking at a situation where they are coming into the spring season with very little moisture in the ground for planting.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	prairieprecip.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	778122

Did some digging and were not at the levels of the year 1988 for subsoil at this time of year. That for us was the driest since the famous 1961.

Dugouts have more than last year at this time but digging into the parched ground the top is dry. Even the lumps have dried out.

The nice thing is swathing this fall all fields except 7 are going to be end to end. Fall kelly harrowing on stubble will be nill just low areas.

Boys we better put on the dancing shoes and start a rain dance as its yes dry.

I don't have to ask what others are seeing but the Tank is Empty.

Not fumes, not ten more miles but Empty.

This amazed me the experts still think its just a little lower production.

Dah!
    Just Slightly Lower Alberta Yields Expected
    Although relatively few acres have been harvested to date, just slightly lower yields are expected in Alberta this year, says a story from Syngenta.
    According to the latest weekly provincial crop report on Friday, dryland yields on major crops are anticipated to be about 94% of the five-year and 99.8% of the 10-year index. That puts estimated spring wheat yields in the province this year at 46.1 bu/acre, durum at 33.5 bu, barley at 57.3 bu, canola at 39.4 bu and dry peas at 37.6 bu.
    Crop conditions continued to gradually decline in the province over the past week and are now more than 8 points below the 5-year average at 57% good to excellent. The South region saw a little reprieve from the current drought this past week and crop conditions there were only rated 40% good to excellent as of Tuesday.

Comment

You're not on empty if the dugouts have more water than last year. We're fencing through large sloughs with 8 foot high cattail surrounds that have no water in them. I'm told it's easily the driest here since the 80s.

Comment

Well, that's nice grass. I just said an observation you f#$King moron.

The ground when you dig with a track hoe or backhoe is dry. not wet a foot down and all way down. Dugouts are only spots with water in fields.

But you always can't just shut the F#$K up and post something normal.

God your a parasite.

Just like a true liberal you can't fix stupid.

Comment

You don't realize there is a connection between sloughs, dugouts and ground water levels? If they are still up you're not running on empty, quite simple.

Comment

Need another year of dry to send some hurt to the overpriced parts counter...drought can be humbling. ..

Comment

Saskfarmer and grassfarmer , you should go on the road together. Maybe not as gods as Albert and Costello but 😂

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                Need another year of dry to send some hurt to the overpriced parts counter...drought can be humbling. ..
                Went to ask price for 14 tooth ,1” hole , 50 tooth simple sprocket at agco . Can get this anywhere for $20-$30 . Agco needs $167 , wtf ?
                Honeybee knife drive bearing kit used on agco swathers is $400 !!!!!
                Can get it from honeybee for $290 , which is still too much

Comment

Farm equipment parts counters do not operate on the Wal-Mart price roll-back philosophy. I seriously doubt they will surrender any price gains made over the last few years.

In my opinion, the only solution is to let some other fool do it.

Speaking of parts prices, their hardware(nuts and bolts) prices are staggeringly high. If you don't want to make a special trip to the Bolt House.....bend over

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                    You don't realize there is a connection between sloughs, dugouts and ground water levels? If they are still up you're not running on empty, quite simple.
                    That may be true some places with some subsoil types, but certainly not everywhere. We have nearly impenetrable subsoil under most of our dugouts. They hold water regardless of water table. Then there re others that fluctuate with the water table, and drain out completely when the water table is low.

Comment

No one I know wants a rain for the next three to 4 weeks....

They want to finish harvest, pick bales and take some time ...

Comment

This pothole had water in it when the rest of the field was seeded. Then it dried enough to barely get it seeded to wheat like the rest of the field....then the rains flooded it out....now it looks like this!

I think its bi-polar.

Comment

Sask you should know by now rain this late not going to help pastures etc.
                          There would be nothing worse for us guys in the drought to have rain come now so we can't harvest the crop no matter how big or small it is.
                          I assume all the rain experience has taught you when it turns on it may not shut off enough until the snow falls.
                          Remember a few years back didn't rain a lot but every 3 or 4 days it was maddening.

Comment

No one I know wants a rain for the next three to 4 weeks....

They want to finish harvest, pick bales and take some time ...
                            I know someone who got at least 1.5 tenths yesterday and told him some people would punch me in the head for saying I'd take ten times that right now. I'm selfish...all the wet weather prone crops are in the bin on the "Sandbox Farmer's(play farming) farm in the Slum of the Ghetto". Finished wheat Saturday night. Only stuff left to go is Flaxth and Kelowna...moisture proof but not wind proof.

Comment

I remember sitting the combines for the entire month of september one year....and then having to harvest tough grain with no where to sell it....September is meant to be dry and sunny....with colours...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...