• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	QSRWx2ICS%OW7vhdJy4sgQ.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	778117

I know there are really nice sunsets all over the world and Hawaii people rush to the beach at night to watch the sunset but really our Saskatchewan Sun Sets at Harvest time are Awesome.

Well, its dry and its dry but guess what it's not a great harvest till someone on our farm gets stuck and Bang that was me opening up a half section of Barley Yesterday late in the afternoon. Watching the damage the geese did to the outside swath and all of a sudden the ground opens up and down I go. I must be getting smarter with age as I shut the machine instead of pulling forward and in real deep. The area I dropped was under water for last 10 years or more and dried up last summer so yea its still wet underground.

Name:	T0H8bh6yRlO92hRd+xJAkA.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	778118

Ok harvest for the most part in our area is Peas are done except me with my later Viper damaged crop and Barley is almost done, Some are trying HRS but the swath and Sprayed fields even with all this heat are slow to dry down. Lots of 24 to 18 HRS out there. Some is coming off and then now what do I do with it.

I would say in our area the Average is 10% done our farm is sitting as of 6.4%

Last rain, if we don't get any by Sunday morning, will be 35 days without any kind of moisture. Not even a 1 MM event like grass counts.

Just like clockwork, the Canada Geese are back and they brought a bunch of little ducks with them. I just like to feed these F#$Kers for hunters. We need two seasons spring and fall. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9070.jpg
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	778120

Ok, here we go!

Peas most are done harvesting with the magic number this year 40BPA. Yep, even the big dogs the average is that. One guy had 50 and it was a nice field. Peas have an issue in our area that is going to affect germination next spring. They are cracking in the pod. Open a pod up before the combine gets there and the shell is cracked. HEAT or what ever. Then harvesting in very dry conditions are also causing cracking. Good thing I have enough seed saved from last year. If the pea market wasn't in the tank as now even the Dogs don't want to eat our peas. WTF but where is our Prince of a PM at a Gay Pride parade. After harvest, we always look at profit and loss. Well, this year its a loss on peas at $6.13 now at the elevator. We contracted early but still a shit show. Good thing we dropped 300 plus acres should have dropped another 300.

Lentil harvest I am hearing is really good, like Swift kind of yields back a few years ago. The three guys with lentils are happy but like everything they are worthless. The Turkish Dollar is in the tank and watch as another crop will be pissed away. Trade issues with USA main reason. Also probably pushing women and gay rights in Turkey also isn't a great idea. Thank a Liberal there so special.

Flax is being sprayed for shut down and looks way less than last few years. Heat hurt.

Oats no one has harvested yet but a white colour a couple weeks ago tells me its thin and light.

Barley is coming off and anything seeded early is really nice later got hit by the heat and no rain. Barley producers have a smile on there face as so far either Feed or Malt the price is almost the same. Feed is less work and why have a headache.

60% of our Barley is also getting baled this year by a friend who wants the straw.

Name:	JhMjtWTlTmqncSXDN38s8w.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	778119

HRS for the most part is either shut down or Swath. Guys are trying all over the place seems it is taking 14 days if you sprayed or 10 if you swath. Some samples at the eleveator showed lots of puffed wheat. Yield in our area looks like it will be just a little less than last year on HRS. But it looked good all year. Weight on early samples is 67lbs and nice and red with plump kernels. AC Brandon is the Wheat of Choice by most.

Name:	CaUZywb1Sba6tTp3l3pa4A.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	766670

Canola is getting knocked down and most are about two days ahead of panic mode. Fields are being left for straight cutting but if guys don't spray the second growth and other shit in those fields could cause issues further down the road if you know what I mean.

Some who cut instead of swathing last year are back swathing at 90% or higher colour change like we do.

I have 15 quarters to go to swath till we hit the pod shatter varieties. Next year we might just go all pod shatter and swath and have no issues. If the rain event does come to be we will be swathing. Concentrating on Barley and wheat that is in the swath before we get back at swathing.

The plant mass is better than other years and no flooded areas are nice but the pods are smaller. So determining yield is very hard. It flowered for a long time so who knows. Right now I'm saying overall Yield on Canola will be down. Early seeded will be ok but later the heat got. Flower blast at flowering stage also cut yield.

Also, the difference can be a mile apart and sometimes just a shower at the right time helped out. Sections might have half one side better and it was a shower that got half the field. Ah, limited moisture years are so unpredictable.

Pastures took a beating this week and now the wet areas in pastures are getting eaten up. I dont think any one will have a second cut. Late seeded green feed is a bust.

Durum is getting harvested in area, fields were swath 7 days ago and guy is putting in aeration. Similar yields to spring wheat.

Hail damaged fields are a challenge as new growth plus old is causing big issues. HRS never recovered. Two light damaged Canola fields look great.

On the political side the following picture sums it up.

We have a real idiot who thinks Third or fourth generation Canadians should leave if they dont like the new Canada he is trying to create. He tried this shit on a Old French Grandmother. Wow he is a special kind of Idiot. Had the RCMP take her away.

Media wake up start pushing this fool. BC Burning were is he oh attending another Gay pride parade.

I would respect him a bit if he would just come out of the closet already and tell us all what he is.

Name:	39864471_657026894672591_5911713932493455360_n.jpg
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	766671

Well off to the farm small crew today as one is working nights one is still in BC one is running the baler and one is at high school football camps today in regina.

Sum up yields are good and stong on early seeded so all the early birds did catch a worm. Later seeded yields will be down. Over all im still going with 15% down from last year. Our area hrs will be similar to below by just a bit. Barley similar, peas down and lentils strong. Flax down oats way down. Canola i dont think any one will top last years yield and yields will be down. Province wide Canola took it hard this year and might not be crop of choice for some areas in 2019. But thanks to Crap insurance and the new math non tradional area might grow for insurance.

Be safe and remember the ones at home are way more important than any crop. Way to go milestone for helping out that farm family.

Comment

Please post your area as I always said the way it was in the flood years. It’s weather, it’s wedtetn Canada it’s luck of the draw. Or management.

Comment

Global Wheat Supply to Crisis Levels
        A scorching hot, dry summer has ended five years of plenty in many wheat producing countries and drawn down the reserves of major exporters to their lowest level since 2007/08, when low grain stocks contributed to food riots across Africa and Asia., says a story from Reuters.
        Although global stocks are expected to hit an all-time high of 273 million tonnes at the start of the 2018/19 grain marketing season, according to US Department of Agriculture estimates, the problem is nearly half of it is in China, which is not likely to release any onto global markets.
        Experts predict that by the end of the season, the eight major exporters will be left with 20% of world stocks - just 26 days of cover - down from one-third a decade ago.

And just like always we were told don’t grow wheat

Comment

Just done peas , best we have ever grown(we used pursuit)
          But many here are having really shitty pea yields with lots of 23-35 bpa ?
          Wheat and barley still green for us
          30% done cutting canola pods look short and thin ?
          Oats are sprayed
          Sure cold out here this mornin , hope frost stays away
          Crops moving slow with the heat we have had ?

Comment

Deathly quiet out there about yields and lack of grain surplus?!

Comment

Funny everyone on all my social sites I follow not a word on yields chirp chirp

Comment

We have no barley, but neighbors getting 65 to 90, apparently over 50lbs. Very little under 13.5%, but combines are going anyway.

Comment

Here’s my crop report for the day ....

Probably applies to 80% of Sask

Comment

We are done lentils and onto durum.it was a funny year, all the rain came end of May and then nothing after. We couldn’t buy a Farm Progress Show rain. Early-seeded durum crops that germinated evenly are yielding 50 ish but many drowned out spots and drought effect reduced some areas to zip. Still better than zero straight across the board. Lentils yielded average, 101/2 inches in three days took its toll. I guess Crop Insurance is off the hook around here but just south of us to American border, drought was even worse.

Comment

Name:	3uejWRs4Q0u60ymdwEt+8g.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	766673

Barley should all be done by late this afternoon. White and heavy and after yesterday through the S690S there still is the straw to bale.

We will then take the seed fields and finish the peas hopefully by Sunday before the rain hits.

Sprouting could be an issue on bone dry crops if the 2 inches supposed to get in the next 10 days come.

is it an early Jewish holiday.

Full moon and things will change.

Comment

Probably applies to 80% of Sask[/QUOTE]

So drought gives it to you up the a** with a reach around for good measure.

Comment

Furrow that sums it up perfect.

Comment

Funny thing.....German farmers are supported with drought reduced crop....

No ag minister in Canada has looked at rainfall amounts for the last two years....and correlated to what's going on at the primary producers farm.....

Right now wheat prices should be rising....but with the last two adhoc announcements...farmers can still dump there product and get paid....the market that knows doesn't have to pay to get farmers grain in the US or Germany because the cheque is in the mailbox....

Yup the market knows.....and is always right .....because they can buy Canadian grain at US manipulated prices .....

It's a ****ing joke...

Comment

Wheat is coming off fast here. A few have wheat wrapped up already.
                              Some canola is being harvested now too. Also heard reports of canola being straight cut and yielding better then expected.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...