• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulses

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulses

I have been I discussion with some people in the trade for the last two wk, and to say pulses look bleak would be an understatement. With virtually zero demand and add a tariff in there, and political unrest and oh ya currency issues things will get worse before better. Forgot to mention bin fulls of lentils and peas. Just curious as to why there is so much carry over? There was decent values last crop year but everyone wants higher. Well now the pain starts!!
    From ones I’ve talked to this is going to take at least two years to sort itself out. What will we grow to make any return is beyond me. Fifteen cent lentils doesn’t pay the bills. Pea prices are brutal!! Every dog seeded chickpeas they are in the same situation. Pulses are one of our staple crops but at these levels the desire to grow them isn’t there. Combines go through torture and at todays prices it hardly pays the damage they can cause. I don’t expect .40 - .60 lb but this 15-18 isn’t exceptable. In 1995 I sold large greens for .20 lb, and drive a 100k combine. We all know how that works today.

Party like its 1985. It is eerily similar to the early 80's right now. Our biggest problem is the fact that major importers of our commodities are going broke because they need to make $USD debt payments. Tariffs are really just a side show. Even here in Canuckistan, the pressure is building for another interest rate increase because of stagflation, which is exactly like the early 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
      Sold 94s large green lentils in the summer of 95 for .52 / lb !

At today's prices it aint worth scraping the ground wearing out headers !
      Agree 100%

Comment

with the current shortage in cow feed ...most of the pulses could be rolled into bales ....no combining costs...at 100 bucks a tonne or on shares there is a viable option to low prices....and saying a big **** you to those that don't want our product until they are starving....

What the government should do is offer a feed assistance program so that herds don't get sold off....

Its bad business to build a good herd and be forced to sell because of uncontrolled circumstances....

Don't give me grief ...I seeded 600 acres of oats for greenfeed....and have two young guys doing it on shares....I like to think i am doing my part to help the industry...

Comment

I got 17c the first year I grew lentils in the late 90s. I thought I won the lottery. There was no other commodity even close to that price back then.

I see sheer is heading to india - maybe he can repair the trade.

Comment

I just want a prime minister who goes to work everyday taking care of the business of Canada....is that to much to ask?????

From forest fires, to drought, to floods in Toronto, to pipelines etc that will build this country a stronger economy with fair minded solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
              Party like its 1985. It is eerily similar to the early 80's right now. Our biggest problem is the fact that major importers of our commodities are going broke because they need to make $USD debt payments. Tariffs are really just a side show. Even here in Canuckistan, the pressure is building for another interest rate increase because of stagflation, which is exactly like the early 80's.
              The big difference between 1985 and today is that back then most of us didn't have the financial prowess that we have today. My crop planning and marketing skills sucked compared to today. Lets face it the writing was on the wall for a long time with the pulse markets and guys went ahead and wacked in a pile of acres and there is no home for those pulses until asia eats the glut currently over there. Lentils have been a bread winner for years but not this year. I expect lots of peas are going in the feed market this year and maybe lentils will go that way too unless you want to store. Things will get better but the pendulum has to start swinging the other way yet. Pulse acres need to drop more.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
                The big difference between 1985 and today is that back then most of us didn't have the financial prowess that we have today. My crop planning and marketing skills sucked compared to today. Lets face it the writing was on the wall for a long time with the pulse markets and guys went ahead and wacked in a pile of acres and there is no home for those pulses until asia eats the glut currently over there. Lentils have been a bread winner for years but not this year. I expect lots of peas are going in the feed market this year and maybe lentils will go that way too unless you want to store. Things will get better but the pendulum has to start swinging the other way yet. Pulse acres need to drop more.
                There was far and away less debt back then though, financial prowess or not. I question the financial prowess of overpaying for rent, land, and 700 000 combines. The amount of debt is staggering.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                  There was far and away less debt back then though, financial prowess or not. I question the financial prowess of overpaying for rent, land, and 700 000 combines. The amount of debt is staggering.
                  In my area we lost lots of guys who bought expensive land in the early 80's, lots that was bought from parents and siblings. Poor succession planning. Today we have so many sources of management help that were developed out of the 1980's issues. We need to do the math on this. Back then we expected the govt to help us with different programs. Most understand today that we are on our own. I am hoping that GARS or Just solutions will evolve in a worthwhile risk management tool.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                    with the current shortage in cow feed ...most of the pulses could be rolled into bales ....no combining costs...at 100 bucks a tonne or on shares there is a viable option to low prices....and saying a big **** you to those that don't want our product until they are starving....

What the government should do is offer a feed assistance program so that herds don't get sold off....

Its bad business to build a good herd and be forced to sell because of uncontrolled circumstances....

Don't give me grief ...I seeded 600 acres of oats for greenfeed....and have two young guys doing it on shares....I like to think i am doing my part to help the industry...
                    Yep, I remember discussing this back in the early spring. I said I thought this was the year to grow cattle feed and it's proving to be that on a larger scale than I'd imagined. Never seen as much straw getting baled as there is around here just now. Pastures are generally done around here and I'd guess many will be feeding by September 1st. Herds in the 200-500 cow category. Takes a lot of feed to get them to next June.

Comment

Bucket, what variety of oats? Do they look like they will yield good tonnes? My oats I grew for feed, are my best looking grain oats, and so I think I can get more cash out of them for grain than for hay. I did a headland for hay, and quit when I found there was limited tonnes. Not very tall, as oats go, but will yield a good grain crop. Gotta be careful with this kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                        Yep, I remember discussing this back in the early spring. I said I thought this was the year to grow cattle feed and it's proving to be that on a larger scale than I'd imagined. Never seen as much straw getting baled as there is around here just now. Pastures are generally done around here and I'd guess many will be feeding by September 1st. Herds in the 200-500 cow category. Takes a lot of feed to get them to next June.
                        Toying strongly with seeding down a few hundred acres for long term hay. Always seems to be a need somewhere!

Comment

What would a bale of canola, Liberty, be worth.
                          Thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                            Bucket, what variety of oats? Do they look like they will yield good tonnes? My oats I grew for feed, are my best looking grain oats, and so I think I can get more cash out of them for grain than for hay. I did a headland for hay, and quit when I found there was limited tonnes. Not very tall, as oats go, but will yield a good grain crop. Gotta be careful with this kind of thing.
                            Probably make grain but they are baling already

Comment

Originally posted by samhill View Post
                              What would a bale of canola, Liberty, be worth.
                              Thinking about it.
                              Canola straw? takes about twice as many bales to bed with versus cereal straw so if straw is $20-$25 its hardly worth baling if you value your time at custom rates ($12/bale). I have never fed it but I guess you could by grinding it first. Depends how desperate people are. If you were selling it to silage it might be worth 3c/lb of dry matter standing if it was close by.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...