• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twitter ,facebook is this the new lobby effort????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    Barbie is making some announcement today.....where are our farm groups that should be asking for payment for our contribution to the reduction of carbon....I guess they missed that memo..
    Why should you get paid for the reduction of carbon? I think those of us actively grazing cattle and sequestering CO2 and increasing soil carbon maybe deserve to be compensated. Nice to see someone being honest though - admitting that current farming practices are reducing carbon, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
      Why should you get paid for the reduction of carbon? I think those of us actively grazing cattle and sequestering CO2 and increasing soil carbon maybe deserve to be compensated. Nice to see someone being honest though - admitting that current farming practices are reducing carbon, lol.
      Current? How about since early 90's? Farmers have sequestered enough for Canada to do ZIP. Fallow= evil

Comment

too funny ? what a comment . your cows are farting ffs ? you will be lucky if the tree huggers don't shut you down ? red meat rapidly losing its appeal anyways . had a lentil burger at A&W the other day , as good as any burger . i do still like my meat though . if you don't think grain farmers have helped out the environment , you are living in a dream world .

Comment

Originally posted by iceman View Post
          You guys need to realize that us farmers have big bullseye on the back of are shirts. It doesn’t matter which government is in office we will not be getting any more breaks or new programs.

Sure the sask party maybe the best house but it’s the best house on the wrong side of the tracks in a bad neighbourhood.

If Moe did have to leave this Agriculture game because of poor returns do you honestly think he will have the enthusiasm to do a Ben Bernanke routine and shower us with money from a helicopter? Nor should he.

We caused most of these input costs to spiral outta control. Sure the railways and the chemical company twisted the knives as they dug in but CN or Agrium never paid $120 acre or 2x new assessment!

We played the game and now the game is playing us.

I don’t really care for how Moe swept the Boyd hands in cookie jar under the table but he still is the best house even though the sump pump can’t keep up and water is pouring in the basement.

Iceman rant over I’m out
          I always said , "nothing more dangerous than a farmer with money"

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
            too funny ? what a comment . your cows are farting ffs ? you will be lucky if the tree huggers don't shut you down ? red meat rapidly losing its appeal anyways . had a lentil burger at A&W the other day , as good as any burger . i do still like my meat though . if you don't think grain farmers have helped out the environment , you are living in a dream world .
            Shame neither you nor the poster above you noticed the irony of the wording that I was highlighting in the original comments. Sure don't see many grain farmers helping the environment here - more like waging a full on battle with it - drain, slash, burn, bulldoze, poison.

Comment

Shame neither you nor the poster above you noticed the irony of the wording that I was highlighting in the original comments. Sure don't see many grain farmers helping the environment here - more like waging a full on battle with it - drain, slash, burn, bulldoze, poison.
              So how many of your tractors or any other powered equipment have tier 4 emissions controls grass ???
              I have asked the same to the other holier than thou guy chuck ..... crickets

Comment

I'll answer for him....fortunately his fuel consumption is likely a fraction of a typical grain farm...

Hahahahaha. How to make enemies on AV.....BACK THE ANTAGONIST!

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  I'll answer for him....fortunately his fuel consumption is likely a fraction of a typical grain farm...

Hahahahaha. How to make enemies on AV.....BACK THE ANTAGONIST!
                  Clean diesel exhaust Per acre , not so sure ...
                  plus add in methane from cow farts lol

Comment

I totally agree with your views on well managed grazing ground and CO2 but we don't get any love for it among the climate change experts.

I think this essay is how they see the big picture.

https://undark.org/article/china-meat-consumption-climate-change/

Note the 80% co2 increase mid term due to meat prediction.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                      I totally agree with your views on well managed grazing ground and CO2 but we don't get any love for it among the climate change experts.

I think this essay is how they see the big picture.

https://undark.org/article/china-meat-consumption-climate-change/

Note the 80% co2 increase mid term due to meat prediction.
                      Hmmmm , I guess one should not throw stones in a glass house hey grass ?
                      I applaud your efforts on being a well managed grazer, but one thing you need to learn , we grain farmers are not all out to slash and burn the environment away ... that’s total b/S . Most of us run very environmentally friendly grain farms , yes a few don’t but it’s the same with cattle producers . Let’s not kick the shit out of each other and respect that most of us farmers , grain , cattle or both are doing the best we can for the soil , water and environment for our future generations. Some of us have been here for over 100 years and know that if we don’t look after what we have there may not be a future for our next generations if we are not careful.
                      BTW , I don’t see any grain farmers on the beef forum bashing them and pointing out the hazards of intensive feed lots .....
                      just because you see a sprayer out in the field does not mean they are applying some hazardous chemicals. They may be applying foliar fertility, or a environmental friendly biological.... spend some time on a modern grain farm instead of bashing something you may not have a clue of.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                        I always said , "nothing more dangerous than a farmer with money"
                        Like button

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                          ....just because you see a sprayer out in the field does not mean they are applying some hazardous chemicals. They may be applying foliar fertility, or a environmental friendly biological....
                          I applaud those grain producers looking to alternate methods of production like using biologicals - however would you care to venture a guess as to how many sprayer loads of environmentally friendly biologicals are applied in western Canada versus loads of glyphosate based sprays? 1 in 100?, likely not - maybe one in 250? Whatever the number it will likely only be a little better than the number of grazers managing their forage and environmental resources to a very high standard. There is an awful lot of room for improvement throughout all of agriculture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 6.50.10 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	766659

Comment

I applaud those grain producers looking to alternate methods of production like using biologicals - however would you care to venture a guess as to how many sprayer loads of environmentally friendly biologicals are applied in western Canada versus loads of glyphosate based sprays? 1 in 100?, likely not - maybe one in 250? Whatever the number it will likely only be a little better than the number of grazers managing their forage and environmental resources to a very high standard. There is an awful lot of room for improvement throughout all of agriculture.

[ATTACH]3277[/ATTACH]
                            Yup , but it’s changing much much faster than you think . More and more grain farms are looking at soil health very seriously now and are always looking at reducing fuel and overall pesticides.
                            Wheat .. fusarium and midge resistant varieties.
                            Canola ... sclerotina and clubroot resistant varieties. Also come stacked with pod shatter to eliminate swathing further reducing fuel usages.

Pea resistant to white mould , eliminates that fungicide pass now .

Nitrogen fertilizer stabilizers to dramatically reduce any loss .
                            Bio-sul elemental Sulfur with compost from grocery stores that works very effective. Spread only once every five years . Cost is dramatically lower and far more environmentally friendly than all other Sulfur sources .
                            Biological stimulants that can be used as seed treatments or foliar with herbicides that increase the plants ability to increase productivity simply with natural bacteria.

Nitrogen fixing bacteria will be coming to other annual crops .

The use of hummates is increasing dramatically. We use a plant based product call Lignojule . Comes from plant lignin not coal based .

I do make an extra pass or two with my sprayer if the crop and or conditions are good. But it’s not evil pesticides or herbicides, it’s foiliar feeding with products like that . I get similar reactions from people who simply don’t understand and automatically think cause the sprayer is out there it some bad evil chemical when reality is totally different

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...