• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really short Canola this year. That field looks decent how deep is the pod depth. Fingers to elbow or shoulder.

Just curious.

Comment

Our pod depth measures a little more than finger tip to wrist. 👉☝👈

Comment

Yes is general canola is shorter this year but it seems to be more of a variety and or seed timing thing . There are some normal to tall canola crops around here within the exact same areas as very short canola crops .
        Wheat same thing . Earlier the seeding date the shorter the crop . Peas stand out as the biggest difference. Some later pea crops will double the yield of early ones .
        That’s the unknown factor in farming , you just never know come seeding time how the season will play out .

Comment

Yup you never know. There are some young guys here who are spread over a large distance and some of their late seeded crops in this area generally always seem good/decent. Alot of times it has everything to do with quick emergence and rain timing. Alot of luck in farming.

Side note...first "heavier" dewy morning here in quite some time...should help settle those "fluffy" wheat swaths. Yup, not a bin buster, especially on the real ghetto dirt.
          Last edited by farmaholic; Aug 13, 2018, 06:33.

Comment

Bang you hit the nail on the head.

Farming is more luck than Brains.

I agree, this years early is way better, Should have switched from HRS to Canola three days sooner with drill two. Left drill one in HRS to finish by itself.

Because then the last 6 would be way better.

Rain makes grain is true in a moisture short year. This year the timing of rain was a huge part.

That canola looks like a good 37 bus crop just by zooming in on the pod depth. Will be interesting to see what the outcome is for Canola this year but one thing is certain. The weight of this years crop and oil content might be lower. Good thing that useless rule didn't come in or they would downgrade every one this year for fun. Smaller screen on the bottom will catch lots of little seeds for the industry to have fun with dockage and profit.

Keep posting curious to see yields as they start rolling out.

Still, think won't be that many 60 BPA this year.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post

I agree, this years early is way better, Should have switched from HRS to Canola three days sooner with drill two. Left drill one in HRS to finish by itself.

Because then the last 6 would be way better.

Rain makes grain is true in a moisture short year. This year the timing of rain was a huge part.

That canola looks like a good 37 bus crop just by zooming in on the pod depth. Will be interesting to see what the outcome is for Canola this year but one thing is certain. The weight of this years crop and oil content might be lower. Good thing that useless rule didn't come in or they would downgrade every one this year for fun. Smaller screen on the bottom will catch lots of little seeds for the industry to have fun with dockage and profit.

Keep posting curious to see yields as they start rolling out.

Still, think won't be that many 60 BPA this year.

Last year our canola was very fine....regarding dockage, I warned the buyer about using a screen to save as much canola as possible. I was surprised how reasonable the dockage was. I like rewarding those companies with more business...even if they are a bit out of the way. Moral of the story...stand up for yourself in a diplomatic way, don't wait for the negative situation to evolve nip it in the bud.

Comment

Dekalbs always yields more than it looks..but pods seem smaller than normal.sun stroke..
                It was 43 inches tall when held plant up..28 inches was height before swather.No legs..
                Might be a surprise..but the wrong way..

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post

How would you know? you clearly haven't the brains.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post

Uncalled for....

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                      Uncalled for....
                      I don't think so. Claiming that successful farming is all about luck and nothing to do with brains does a huge disservice and is a huge insult to an awful lot of people in agriculture.
                      The guys like Klause that are hard workers and innovative thinkers pioneering shipping their product direct to end customers in foreign countries among other projects - is that luck rather than brains? I don't think so!
                      Sure there is some weather luck on whether you get enough rain or not - but the difference between a good farmer and one who fails is the brains he uses to manage the situation whether he is dealt a hand that is good or bad. Brains are all important in this business - those who aren't very good at it often blame everything on "bad luck".

Comment

Regarding Luck, I long ago erased that word from my vocabulary, and when I hear others use it, I often confront them about it, especially my kids.

As soon as you believe in luck, then you have a crutch and an excuse, so why take any initiative at all, when the other guy succeeds it is just luck, and when you yourself fail, just unlucky.

I prefer to take personal responsibility to try to mitigate things that other people would call unlucky.

When you break things down to probabilities and averages, luck disappears.
                        Last year south of me a few miles there was a large area that literally missed every rain and shower, while we at least got a few dribbles here and there. This year, is turning out opposite, so who is lucky in this scenario?

Last year a big hailstorm just hit one corner of our farm, varying degrees of damage on a couple hundred acres at most, but East of us was nearly wiped out. This year, that same area received between 1 and 2 inches of desperately needed rain in late June when we got only 0.15 inch. Just drove through and there are a few very good crops in there, must be luck...

Yesterday, I went and checked crop over drainage tile which I installed myself as an experiment a few years ago. the land wouldn't be worth farming without it, so wouldn't have been in production on such a dry year, instead, it has canola 6 feet tall, still massive dark green leaves and still flowering. Same with all the high land where I have been hauling massive amounts of manure and peat moss for years, crop is better now even on such a dry year than even the formerly best areas of the same fields on a good year. Must be luck again...

Comment

**** guys, don't confuse management with luck.

Grass, it was the personal attack I took exception to. Just like when people are disrespectful to you.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                            Regarding Luck, I long ago erased that word from my vocabulary, and when I hear others use it, I often confront them about it, especially my kids.

As soon as you believe in luck, then you have a crutch and an excuse, so why take any initiative at all, when the other guy succeeds it is just luck, and when you yourself fail, just unlucky.
                            Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                              **** guys, don't confuse management with luck.

Grass, it was the personal attack I took exception to. Just like when people are disrespectful to you.
                              Management is a byproduct of brains so it's wrong in my opinion to say it's all about luck and brains don't come into it. If we accept that it's all down to luck we may as well shut this site down because we can't influence our farming operations through anything we discuss, discover, implement or innovate.

Sorry, but I felt the comments were disrespectful to any farmers that use their brains to get ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                                Why do I get the sense that this quote will show up a lot in the future after grassfarmer says his piece?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...