• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quit Signing Declarations

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any parts of a declaration that you would sign?

Or is it buyer beware that this grain is sold as is where is? You have a five minute, maybe more depending on efficiency of the facility to do all the analysis you want of the load sample including molecular level to determine if I didn't off label spray something on it.

100% of the rules are made for the 5% that have no qualms about doing anything. Do you trust everyone?

The other side.

Wait for it, but a poster on a door that now state do not enter this grading room/facility chewing gum, or tobacco products, keep your boots clean, and on and on because the product I buy could become the food you eat next month will be part of a future declaration form. Looks apparent that you will not comply.

It's a lot worse at some facilities. Picture ID, WCB number, no one enters grading room, basically stay in your truck, soon to be staff will drive your load into elevator, you stay off site. It is coming.

Where the **** are guys like cc' to negotiate this stuff? Good god help us.

Comment

Originally posted by samhill View Post
      If you don’t agree with grade and dockage, don’t unload, drive over, have sample sent to Grain Commission.
      Why not send the uniform bin samples to the CGC right after harvest? This way you have the necessary information to sell/negotiate your production? Take pictures of the results on your phone. If there is any tomfoolery at delivery time, you have the documents to backup your delivery. This seems proactive instead of the dif***ult reactive method you are describing.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
        Why not send the uniform bin samples to the CGC right after harvest? This way you have the necessary information to sell/negotiate your production? Take pictures of the results on your phone. If there is any tomfoolery at delivery time, you have the documents to backup your delivery. This seems proactive instead of the dif***ult reactive method you are describing.
        If you don't know how to assess your own grain then that is a good thing to do for sure. However CGC or any other 3rd party don't do varietal purity on Grade and Dockage assessment. You are signing a declaration on varietal purity for each class of wht. Many varieties have moved from CWRS to CNHR and are visually non distinguishable you are signing to take the risk for any screw ups from the time it is sampled remotely with no protection or way of witnessing that it never cross contaminated, accidentally or otherwise. It is not wrong to have wheat of other classes mixed in the class you are delivering it is up to elev to grade it appropriately and that is impossible when they are visibly indistinguishable with out sending ever sample away for lab test.

Also remember that samples you send away are assessed on that sample only and CGC or any other inspection office will not guarantee that it represents the bin, only for the 1000 grams you sent them.

You have right to watch your grain being graded and dockage assessed and to send away if you disagree but you should at least know what the proper procedures are so you can agree or disagree. I have pointed out many times when elev are making mistakes or doing things wrong and most of the time they didn't know the right way or changed for my sample then went right back to doing it their way for everyone else.

Comment

CNH will be mixed with CWRS it the specs match...just like when graincos mix cps with durum....

There is no reason to add another class other than to give the Graincos an extra 50 cents a bushel...

Is no one thinking in the grain industry?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post

I think they are thinking lots... How to screw over the producer.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
              CNH will be mixed with CWRS it the specs match...just like when graincos mix cps with durum....

There is no reason to add another class other than to give the Graincos an extra 50 cents a bushel...

Would be neat to see Gluten test results on CNHR samples this year compared to other years. Different growing and maturing conditions this year.

Comment

Originally posted by checking View Post
                Are there any parts of a declaration that you would sign?

Or is it buyer beware that this grain is sold as is where is? You have a five minute, maybe more depending on efficiency of the facility to do all the analysis you want of the load sample including molecular level to determine if I didn't off label spray something on it.

100% of the rules are made for the 5% that have no qualms about doing anything. Do you trust everyone?

The other side.

Wait for it, but a poster on a door that now state do not enter this grading room/facility chewing gum, or tobacco products, keep your boots clean, and on and on because the product I buy could become the food you eat next month will be part of a future declaration form. Looks apparent that you will not comply.

It's a lot worse at some facilities. Picture ID, WCB number, no one enters grading room, basically stay in your truck, soon to be staff will drive your load into elevator, you stay off site. It is coming.

Where the **** are guys like cc' to negotiate this stuff? Good god help us.
                Thats funny lol
                Guys around here wont leave the office let alone drive and dump my truck !

Comment

over last last few yrs I have also grown tired of these ever increasing documents. after reading the thread I contacted the compliance officer at the cgc. told him my veiws on the matter and why I think it's unnecessary/unjust. asked him to look up law for me in the act telling me why and if I legally have to sign before I can dump and sell grain to a elevator. he had zero knowledge of the subject told me I was the first to raise these issues in his 11 yrs. I brought up the several regs in the act that have been discussed previously and they didn't seem to faze him at all. So to say the least not bit impressed at all with the man in charge of enforcing the grain act for us farmers. he did say he would look into it further and did send me a email yesterday that was 8 lines long that answered zero of the questions I asked. very not impressed. we need more farmers to call in and stop the extortion of farmers... the squeaky wheel gets greaced boys... enough is enough. Also local elevator tells me I have to buy out my canola contract even tho it was contracted with a price.. del period.. and grade that I meet.. unless i sign there declaration. where do I go from here?

cgc compliance officer
                  tel 204-984-8623
                  toll free 1866-317-4289

Comment

Good on you, thank you for testing the waters and confronting the issue. Did the grain Co tell you that in writing? That would be best.

Perhaps Agriville members and our associates can crowd fund to support you in a legal challenge? Or maybe the excess checkoff dollars could be used.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                      Good on you, thank you for testing the waters and confronting the issue. Did the grain Co tell you that in writing? That would be best.

Perhaps Agriville members and our associates can crowd fund to support you in a legal challenge? Or maybe the excess checkoff dollars could be used.
                      Once agaim in the CPC's review of the CGC done at their Request called the Compas Review it was recomended that a Grain Farmers Advocacy Office be established to handle complaints and affairs that the Office Of Assisstant Commissionors handle.

When they opened the Grain Act they closed the Office of Ass't Commissioners but never opened Advocacy Office. There for leaving farmers with no avenue to investigate or complain.

IMHO this is just another piece of the puzzle how CGC got 140 mil surplus. Close much needed offices In the Interest of Producers and pocket the money that had been invested.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

no grain co called me a day later after I told my area rep I wouldn't sigh it after they tried forcing it on me.

I'm goin to call this compliance officer again tomorrow morning and try to get answers to the questions I originally asked. this is the email he sent back to me yesterday which practical says nothing and answers zero of the concerns I voiced.

I apologize for taking a few days to get back to you, I was away for one of them and then waiting on some feedback from within the CGC. This is what I was told:

The producer declaration was developed when KVD was removed as a requirement for wheat registration. The industry, WGEA, is the owner of this document. The CGC was involved in developing it. It is a simple cost effective way for elevator companies to segregate grain.

I don’t really have any further information on it other than to say it’s been around for a while now and is an industry standard. In my 11 years at the CGC as the Compliance Officer taking complaints from producers, you are the first to raise an issue with this process.

Feel free to give me a call this week if you’d like to discuss further.

Corey Birch

Compliance Officer, Industry Services
                        Canadian Grain Commission / Government of Canada
                        corey.birch@grainscanada.gc.ca / Tel: 204-984-8623 / TTY: 1-866-317-4289

Agent de conformite, Services à l’industrie
                        Commission canadienne des grains / Gouvernement du Canada
                        corey.birch@grainscanada.gc.ca / Tél: 204-984-8623 / ATS : 1-866-317-4289
                        Last edited by helmach; Aug 29, 2018, 21:27.

Comment

Very good posts raising important issues. big question is where are our checkoff funded producer groups? Nothing in the media, mos of us sign whatever the grain buyer puts in front of us.

Comment

G3's declaration says you won't deliver spring thrashed grain.

And don't use a bunch of registered chemicals (why are we registering them for use if they cause market issues??? And why is the farmer responsible???) The label is a legal document, if the crop is on it, a producer or applicator is legally allowed to use the product at the rates and timing set forth on the label for the crops listed

Viterra, don't use certain chemicals.

Make sure your crop is grown from seed that came from "allowed" sources.

WTF does any of this have to do with variety declarations?

I'm bringing it forward to the CGC also, and I'm trying to light the fire under an ag group to go after them on this.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
                              Very good posts raising important issues. big question is where are our checkoff funded producer groups? Nothing in the media, mos of us sign whatever the grain buyer puts in front of us.
                              Under the Act the buyer must accept delivery of the grain, however the price offered is the sticky point. Buyers have the right to implement such a declaration and and past discussions with various governments have been clear that making the declarations illegal is not possible.

The declarations have grown beyond grading. Issues around Maximum Residue Limits of crop protection products and deregistered varieties in export markets caused the declarations to become a mechanism by which the seller guarantees that named or unapproved products were not used on the crop or grown.

Ward Toma
                              General Manager
                              Alberta Canola

Attend one of your Power Your Profits meetings in Alberta this November. Meting dates and locations are the www.albertacanola.com.

Comment

Originally posted by wardtoma View Post
                                Under the Act the buyer must accept delivery of the grain, however the price offered is the sticky point. Buyers have the right to implement such a declaration and and past discussions with various governments have been clear that making the declarations illegal is not possible.

The declarations have grown beyond grading. Issues around Maximum Residue Limits of crop protection products and deregistered varieties in export markets caused the declarations to become a mechanism by which the seller guarantees that named or unapproved products were not used on the crop or grown.

Ward Toma
                                General Manager
                                Alberta Canola

Attend one of your Power Your Profits meetings in Alberta this November. Meting dates and locations are the www.albertacanola.com.
                                And how is this "right" bestowed on a grain company? Based on what legislation?

Why are products registered for use if they can't be exported? Seems there's a disconnect with the producer left holding the bag.

Does Alberta Canola represent producers, the industry, or both?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...