• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saturday radar and weather

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A drought buster genuine happened here these past 3 days.

After a very wet spring delayed seeding, it seemed to shut off the tap. Only a couple of little showers here since mid May. Nothing just 20 mi. north of us and their corn and most of the soys are terrible, beyond salvage some say. 3' tall and tasseled. Some soy seed never even germinated.

Then on Sunday we got an inch all day - perfect. Then today it poured another 1.5" since noon.

So the mini-drought is over for us but too late for the poor beggars to the north. I think our soys will still put on a bunch more flowers with this shot.

Now to get the wheat off...

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
      A drought buster genuine happened here these past 3 days.

After a very wet spring delayed seeding, it seemed to shut off the tap. Only a couple of little showers here since mid May. Nothing just 20 mi. north of us and their corn and most of the soys are terrible, beyond salvage some say. 3' tall and tasseled. Some soy seed never even germinated.

Then on Sunday we got an inch all day - perfect. Then today it poured another 1.5" since noon.

So the mini-drought is over for us but too late for the poor beggars to the north. I think our soys will still put on a bunch more flowers with this shot.

Now to get the wheat off...
      when. do you normally combine wheat ?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
        when. do you normally combine wheat ?
        Right now is about a normal starting time for winter wheat, although it started almost 10 days earlier than usual this year, brought on earlier by the hot, dry weather. It's about 1/3 off already around here.

Yields are quite variable depending on who won the rain lottery. 75 - 105 bu/ac for srww. Straw is an insane price at 4 cents in the windrow.

This is the first time in almost 20 years that I've grown wheat.

Comment

Right now is about a normal starting time for winter wheat, although it started almost 10 days earlier than usual this year, brought on earlier by the hot, dry weather. It's about 1/3 off already around here.

Yields are quite variable depending on who won the rain lottery. 75 - 105 bu/ac for srww. Straw is an insane price at 4 cents in the windrow.

What is that class worth burnt?

Comment

What varieties of SRWW do you grow in that area?

Is winterkill an issue there?

Comment

I grew Branson this year. Emmit is also popular, if you want more straw. Pioneer has a few popular ones as well.

Did about half at 6.26 back in the spring and now the market has come back up to that price. Is it gonna keep climbing?

This link shows the cash prices for the different classes grown here. The majority is soft red because soft white comes with a higher sprouting risk ---- feed wheat.

http://www.hdc.on.ca/grain-marketing.html http://www.hdc.on.ca/grain-marketing.html

Winter kill can be a big issue. The past 2 years have been almost perfect though with fields coming through spring with no thin or bare patches. But sometimes it can take 30 - 50% of a stand so you start over - 50 bu. doesn't cut it at all.

Comment

Thanks for the pricing link, interesting.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...