• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More PGR(Manipulator) results...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    No one pays for quality wheat or durum anyway....
    But we need to grow bushels to make it pay or at least break even and that means pouring the N to it, which in turn creates high quality wheat that the world doesnt want and we dont get a premium for. Its a vicious circle.

If we didnt fertilize we would probably get a 15 or 20 bushel garbage crop and get $5 something for it, doesnt cover the land payment even. Maybe wheat should follow pulse crops and give it nothing and see what happens. Pulse should leave behind 20 or 30 lbs of N.

Comment

Lets say you'll see an avg 10% yield bump (im sceptical that its that high) on your avg 50bus yield wheat. Cost of application approx $20, extra production is 5 bus × $6 wheat = $30. On paper it would appear that it was a $10 per acre benefit. Gross revenue without application is $300 and with is $330/acre.

However lets say that everyone starts using it. Everyone has a 10% yield bump. A simple economics supply vs demand graph would suggest we can therefore expect the wheat price to drop from $6 to $5.40. So now gross revenue is 55bus x $5.40= $297. Cost of production went up $20 and now we have more trucking, more storage, and is likely more taxing on your soil.

We consistently work more for less the definition of a progress trap. A dealers wet dream a product that allows us to push fert rates higher.
      Last edited by biglentil; Jul 21, 2018, 10:50.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        BL....I was honestly trying to mitigate the lodging, first and foremost....I knew the wheat variety I was using could produce a lodging wreck. My future mitigation is now using a midge tolerant "semi dwarf" variety. The only place I may see a fit for the PGR using the new variety might be on the doubled up inputs on the headlands.
        Devils advocate....so you choose a variety that is prone to lodging so that you can spend more to inhibit the growth.....what might be wrong with where our research dollars are going?

Comment

I will defend what I did....

Had Shaw....midge tolerant, prone to lodging, Didn't like it's fusarium susceptibility.
          Went to semi dwarf Cardale,...little lodging with NO midge resistance decent against fuzz
          Wanted to get back into midge resistance
          Chose Jatharia with better fùsarium rating than Shaw, midge tolerant but still too tall
          Enter Landmark...semi dwarf with midge tolerance and decent fuzz rating but not as good as Cardale.
          Watching Alida and will likely switch when its available

Let me know when the Silver Bullet variety becomes available.....choose your ****ing battle.

Moral of the story....we finally have some semi dwarf midge tolerant varieties! I never "chose" a specific variety so I could spend more money controlling it's height!
          Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 21, 2018, 10:48.

Comment

OK. ...but where do you think our research dollars should go....varieties that made Canadian farmers the premiere wheat growers are being deregistered regularly. ....seems no one can build a good variety .....

Went from neepawa to barrie to superb to lillian and now either brandon or titanium....and probably changing again in 2 or 3 years....

Guys at elevator can't tell the difference ...they ask what variety it is...

Comment

I also question why the midge tolerant gene was put in such tall varieties or varieties with lower fusarium ratings first, seemed foolish to me.

Follow the money?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                OK. ...but where do you think our research dollars should go....varieties that made Canadian farmers the premiere wheat growers are being deregistered regularly. ....seems no one can build a good variety .....

Went from neepawa to barrie to superb to lillian and now either brandon or titanium....and probably changing again in 2 or 3 years....

Guys at elevator can't tell the difference ...they ask what variety it is...
                Variety? Most can't tell what class it is! Especially now that KVD is gone and no manditory training. When I was on the bench we had to pass a variety id test every year along with a grading exam.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  I will defend what I did....

Had Shaw....midge tolerant, prone to lodging, Didn't like it's fusarium susceptibility.
                  Went to semi dwarf Cardale,...little lodging with NO midge resistance decent against fuzz
                  Wanted to get back into midge resistance
                  Chose Jatharia with better fùsarium rating than Shaw, midge tolerant but still too tall
                  Enter Landmark...semi dwarf with midge tolerance and decent fuzz rating but not as good as Cardale.
                  Watching Alida and will likely switch when its available

Let me know when the Silver Bullet variety becomes available.....choose your ****ing battle.

Moral of the story....we finally have some semi dwarf midge tolerant varieties! I never "chose" a specific variety so I could spend more money controlling it's height!
                  Hughes looking real good , 6" shorter than titanium , same px strength , better for fuz , titanium was 6" shorter than unity

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                    The data suggests that economic benefit comes if lodging is prevented. No one likes lodging but not likely to see it this year.

The stuff aint cheap at approx $15/acre, but at least it did not burn my durum white like the $19 Prosaro XTR. Thank goodness I only sprayed 1/3 of my acres with that crap. The big boys would not give it up and they got burnt literally.

Sometimes the more juice we spray the more we fk it up. Spray wisely!
                    No. There is a spray for spray damage. Its in the spray book and retailers shed.
                    Buy a very new sprayer, it is the most important machine on the farm.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                      Lets say you'll see an avg 10% yield bump (im sceptical that its that high) on your avg 50bus yield wheat. Cost of application approx $20, extra production is 5 bus × $6 wheat = $30. On paper it would appear that it was a $10 per acre benefit. Gross revenue without application is $300 and with is $330/acre.

However lets say that everyone starts using it. Everyone has a 10% yield bump. A simple economics supply vs demand graph would suggest we can therefore expect the wheat price to drop from $6 to $5.40. So now gross revenue is 55bus x $5.40= $297. Cost of production went up $20 and now we have more trucking, more storage, and is likely more taxing on your soil.
                      Yup. It's a race to the bottom, and it won't stop. The glory and profit of producing big yield on your own field overshadows the big picture oversupply issue. And regions who historically use very little inputs are catching up in their agronomy. Can you imagine what the price of wheat, or any crop, would be if every growing region had a perfect year and applied fertilizer and chem like we do?

Comment

Originally posted by Marusko View Post
                        Yup. It's a race to the bottom, and it won't stop. The glory and profit of producing big yield on your own field overshadows the big picture oversupply issue. And regions who historically use very little inputs are catching up in their agronomy. Can you imagine what the price of wheat, or any crop, would be if every growing region had a perfect year and applied fertilizer and chem like we do?

We would all be out of business mostly because other countries also support their farmers because farmers help the economy by spending.....Canada doesn't support their farmers they shit on them....

6800 acre cattle operation just listed nearby for 7.5 million.....you guys do the math as to who can afford that on a 400 head herd? Throw in dry weather to boot.

Comment

If fertilizer doesn't fit your management style....don't put any on. Same as any other input. No one is telling anyone they have to do anything.

If you're more profitable spending less, who am I to argue with you? It's the net profit that matters anyway, not the gross.

I'm cheaper than wheat......

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...