• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hydrogen fuel cells

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
    Even at 10,000 psi, the best achievable energy density of hydrogen with current high-pressure tanks is about 15 percent of the energy content of gasoline in the same given volume.

Sound cheap and easy to you guys? Oh wait just use your alternator to constantly produce it. Lol
    This is what I was saying, it can not be safely done with our current consumer tech and I don't have access to DARPA/USMIL assets/info. Maybe Klause does?

My comment about generating on board using an 12v battery/alternator, was a real world example of seeing the laws of thermodynamics and entropy in action.

Comment

I made one and used it on semi. Very small gain if your motor is tuned up good. Takes a lot of electricity to make hydrogen and the catylist is very dangerous to handle. Not worth it in my books but very open to be proven wrong. Maybe there is lot better technology out now compared to when I tried it

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
        I made one and used it on semi. Very small gain if your motor is tuned up good. Takes a lot of electricity to make hydrogen and the catylist is very dangerous to handle. Not worth it in my books but very open to be proven wrong. Maybe there is lot better technology out now compared to when I tried it
        Thats interesting TAS! I've never tried it on a truck myself. I would have thought its a losing process. Electrical power on a vehicle is not free. With a typical engine efficiency of 40%, a belt efficiency of 98% and an alternator efficiency of 55%, the best electrolysis of hydrogen is 80% efficient. For a 16% overall efficiency of conversion.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...