• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Money in Bank vs Owning land? I think the tides have turned.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
    Again not my experience, for business immigrants its a swift and painless process.

I'm curious, and this is a personal question... are you married/kids when you came here?

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
    Here is a thought though - why are you so down on the "low skilled" immigrant workers? With the progress of technology and automation I'd expect there to be more of that kind of job going forward not less.
    The other reason we need "low skilled" immigrant workers is that it's a hard job getting Canadians to work in my experience. Trying to get workers that can make a competent job of relatively simple chores on the farm is damn near impossible. Most of them quit because it's too hard work or the hours are too long. There is a whole generation coming up who get finished one chore and instead of using some initiative to figure out what needs done next sit down and play on their phones. That's why we will continue to need immigrants - because they come here with a work ethic, the same as the immigrants that built this country.

Good observation. This is complex.

First off, you're right, Canadians especially in the under 35 age group are (in general) spoiled, lazy brats. Our education system is at fault for part of this as is their parents... Everyone here has this "You need to go to university, you're better than that, blah blah blah" viewpoint - you then create an entire generation that doesn't value hard work and thinks it's beneath them. They get university degrees, but find that job market saturated and go back home or take a poor paying job in the "corporate" world. On top of that, they come out of university spending most of their time partying. The focus, instead of learning, and higher education, is "passing the test" which is retarded - they come out and are still unskilled. Anyway, back to the point - we need to change this and get that younger generation working. Not everybody is cut out to be a rocket engineer all work is good and all work is valuable. We need to teach that and get our own people into the workforce.

Otherwise, that group of useless drains on society keeps growing and when it reaches a critical mass we won't be able to support them - it's why all these suggestions of "min-come" are so scary.

As far as immigrants - this notion that just because they come from another country, they are "hard working" is wrong. I have friends that came here from other nations, western and eastern... same problem in that group... You have a few that are building businesses and hustling and then you have a large group that just comes here and expects hand outs. Millennialism isn't isolated to Canada or North America, or Europe.

The company I work for had some Somali 20somethings hired... figured we'd give them a hand up. These guys were late every day, I had to wake them up in the morning, tell them each step at work and then got called a slave driver... and accused of "using them as slaves"... HDD isn't really that tough these days... Hell we had a 60 year old Newfie hydrovac operator, he was struggling with his hose so I sent the one guy to help him, what do I get? "That's not my job if he can't do it by himself that's his problem"

There are two groups that migrate countries - always have been.

Those that are industrious and looking for a better life for their families and children, and those simply looking for a better place to leach off of. We have far too many of the latter.

The challenge is appealing to immigrants with work ethic, skills, and drive - bringing those in, and keeping the rest out because, and I think you'd agree, "immigrants" that are hear to live off of our social programs don't help anybody.

I'm not saying we should stop accepting legitimate "refugees" either. But don't let anyone in that claims refugee status.

Comment

I wasn't married, didn't have kids when I moved here.

I must admit to not being too familiar with the welfare system in Canada but what benefits can a family moving here expect to get by just moving here? My impression is that a lot less than in the UK - there you get can unemployment benefit from age 16 to 65 if you tell them you can't find a job plus there is local council supplied housing essentially free to anyone that applies. There are multi-generational families of spongers there living in free housing that have never worked or have any intention of working. Many sit in the pub all day and bemoan the Poles immigrants that are taking over their country and "taking their jobs". Scottish agriculture couldn't function nowadays without the Polish workers.

Comment

Which Peter Zeihan books or articles are you referring to? Just started reading the accidental superpower, this is a subject I can't get enough of.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
          Which Peter Zeihan books or articles are you referring to? Just started reading the accidental superpower, this is a subject I can't get enough of.
          Just sign up for his emails. If you really want to see how screwed the world is in regards to demographics watch his YouTube channel. The declining birthrate and the baby boomers entering retirement can't fund the increasing life expectancy ..... tech medicine etc. Japan is ground zero. If you read Armstrong and Zeihan the pieces make a very clear pic.
          https://www.bigspeak.com/speakers/peter-zeihan/
          Last edited by macdon02; Jul 10, 2018, 17:38.

Comment

Originally posted by macdon02 View Post
            Just sign up for his emails. If you really want to see how screwed the world is in regards to demographics watch his YouTube channel. The declining birthrate and the baby boomers entering retirement can't fund the increasing life expectancy ..... tech medicine etc. Japan is ground zero. If you read Armstrong and Zeihan the pieces make a very clear pic.
            https://www.bigspeak.com/speakers/peter-zeihan/
            Thanks, will do.

Comment

I’m with Biglentil on this, 30 mil is all we need, but better yet we need to separate western Canada from the east.
              We cannot have eastern Canada ruling us in the west. I would prefer from Thunder Bay west.
              Have the indigenous portion be special, OK, but on their own dime. Everyone needs to work, it’s the only way to have self esteem.
              We don’t need immigrants just so real estate developers and contractors can get rich, and who will vote liberal so that eventually Canada becomes as their homeland was.

Comment

Originally posted by samhill View Post
                I’m with Biglentil on this, 30 mil is all we need, but better yet we need to separate western Canada from the east.
                We cannot have eastern Canada ruling us in the west. I would prefer from Thunder Bay west.
                Have the indigenous portion be special, OK, but on their own dime. Everyone needs to work, it’s the only way to have self esteem.
                We don’t need immigrants just so real estate developers and contractors can get rich, and who will vote liberal so that eventually Canada becomes as their homeland was.
                Our birth rate is dangerously close to our death rate as it is.

If you don't want immigrants better get those 18-35 year olds busy having kids, or there won't be anyone around to fund your retirement.

Why do you think the post-industrial world is pushing so hard for immigration?

Comment

Originally posted by samhill View Post
                  When you have BoC trying to set policy for a resource/ commodity based portion of the country and a financial based portion of the country someone is shit out of luck and it'll never be the west. Ever wonder why there's so many fed banks? Cuz no policy fits all sections of the country. We bee **** tards

Eventually we separate due to policy set in favor of the east
                  Last edited by macdon02; Jul 10, 2018, 22:30.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...