• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Money in Bank vs Owning land? I think the tides have turned.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re land prices, the wild card affecting values will be interest rates. Every rise makes repayment harder and will cause some slight drop at current rates. However, case by case as land is priced by who wants it and how bad.

Comment

Land prices also follows population.as long as we continue to grow that will pressure prices up.People Bring money...Money brings people..Not the only thing that dictates prices but sure has an influence.

Comment

Ok lots of comments.

But the question is if I sell example property that’s owned and paid for and put money in fund I get a return of on average $100.00 a acre. My question was how long will people be able to afford 100 a acre rent and we’re back at 50 or less even taxes. Yea some of you don’t realize that wasn’t that long ago.

I might be ahead of the curve again but reality is if we sell and enter this system and land goes up oh well. But if your betting on land going down you might buy the same property back and still have half your cash for other stuff.

Farming in Canada is not a big profitable venture. Slow and steady you put some away and land does go up in over 60 years.

Just wondering if the investors will pick up on this, or is it still sink cash into land from a foreign country then move it into the banks.

Farmers are usually the last in the game.

Comment

When you say you're ahead of the curve you're already behind it.

Comment

Didn't Shumachets (outstanding farmers winners) try that strategy?

Comment

As the third generation to operate our farm it has always been the idea to grow the size of the farm. It is well understood that generally more acres are needed to be viable. The farm has bought land through the decades not as an investment but as something that can create wealth for the farm. The idea that the land appreciates in value is expected in the long term but there has never been the intent to liquidate the land at some point. The next generation will be farming the land and the succession plan should give me a decent retirement income. In my opinion it would be a shame to expect the next generation to pay market price and put themselves behind the 8 ball. I saw this in the 80's where the son bought out the dad and within 10 years or so the farm was gone.

Comment

I saw more of the son using his dads assets for collateral for loans they shouldnt have been given and then it all went in the toilet. 50 something parents with only the home quarter left in many cases and the son moved on to some other occupation. Sad to watch.

Comment

land always.

housing bubble hasnt burst here sydney some of most expensive real estate in worl is in worrying decline and rest of aust will follow

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                    land always.

housing bubble hasnt burst here sydney some of most expensive real estate in worl is in worrying decline and rest of aust will follow
                    Mallee, you back on your feet after the piss up at Wynarka?

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                      Going by the chart guess we bought at the peak of 1982.
                      21% interest to.
                      Wheat at that time was $8.00.
                      Inputs sweet tweet compared to now.
                      Loan was paid for 3 yrs.
                      Neighbors lost theirs to banks and bought back for half price..
                      Some will fail regardless of price.
                      Some will survive regardless of price.
                      Management is key.
                      like, like, like , like
                      happened all around us
                      it's all about pride in ownership, some have none

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
                        As the third generation to operate our farm it has always been the idea to grow the size of the farm. It is well understood that generally more acres are needed to be viable. The farm has bought land through the decades not as an investment but as something that can create wealth for the farm. The idea that the land appreciates in value is expected in the long term but there has never been the intent to liquidate the land at some point. The next generation will be farming the land and the succession plan should give me a decent retirement income. In my opinion it would be a shame to expect the next generation to pay market price and put themselves behind the 8 ball. I saw this in the 80's where the son bought out the dad and within 10 years or so the farm was gone.
                        👍 the blueprint to continuation of a family farm.
                        As for land going down. I think it should based on productivity of the land to the current value. But too many factors to say if and when that will happen.

Comment

Not everyone’s bag, you know.

Comment

The whole idea of this post is to show that maybe the investors are getting ready to leave the land market. Farmers buying might be on the wrong side if a drop happens. Chinese who bought low and sold the first time to other Chinese made out great the second not as good but if a Canadian farmer bought the last sale they're holding the highest price.

The reality of this article is why would I hold land that I rent out for 50 or 60 or 70 when I can make 100 doing shit all and get two checks a year.

Comment

Is the capital in the bank from the sale of the land guaranteed(no market risk)

Are the annuity payments guaranteed without eroding the capital base(eating into the cash from the sale of the land).

Maybe there is nothing wrong with capitalizing on high land values(if you think they peaked) and squirrelling the cash until land prices soften(if you think they will) then buying more land closer to your home base.

How about a year round residence at the lake close to home?

Comment

Sk 3

"Wife and I just had a meeting last week with RBC wealth management to discuss some thing and move cash around. USA account was a good idea years ago for home in Florida. "

You just met with the expert from RBC, to "move cash around" and you come on Agriville to discuss it? What are you paying him/her to do?

Then you complain that governments ignores Ag in general on other threads. We all know there are all sorts of people are reading this site, and what do you think they say to themselves when they read your post. "Moving cash around" boy are those farmers ever suffering!

Can you not keep this type of shit to yourself for once!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...