• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resistant wild oats

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resistant wild oats

I dont have these yet but wondering what guys are doing? Back in college there was talk about seeding down to hay for 4-5 years and direct seed after that to avoid germinating from the seedbank (weedbank?). Also talk of bumping cereal seeding rates and/or switching to winter wheat. Actually think summerfallow was mentioned as helping?
    What are you guys doing?

Group 1 or 2?

Comment

I don't have either, just wondering what guys are doing? Forgot to ask about silage/greenfeed cereals.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronski View Post
        I don't have either, just wondering what guys are doing? Forgot to ask about silage/greenfeed cereals.
        Silage is definitely an answer, know of some organic operations who rely on that. Not sure about the hay idea. I bought some infested hay land. None in the hay, but When I worked it up, it was a solid mat of wild oats the first year. Perhaps direct sod seeding would have helped.
        I'd be happy if my cowboy neighbors quit growing bin run oats, which becomes almost pure wild oats after a few years, they don't seem to stay where seeded...

Comment

Originally posted by Ronski View Post
          Silage works as long as they’re chopped early since the wild ones mature first.

Putting the field into grass for 25 years doesn’t kill them either. Broke up some old pasture and they came back as thick as a carpet. No till seems to eliminate them the best here. Seeds stay on the surface and disappear. Hardly spray fields that are very polluted with wild oat seed anymore.

Comment

We found them on old old old land were they use to thresh. We alternate between group 1 and 2 and inbetween with liberty or RR Canola. Seems to be working real well.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...