• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We gave up on NAFTA ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oneoff View Post
    Lets take this again , in baby steps, for those who can count to seven.

In an RM with a full complement of 7 votes; it would normallytakes 4 votes to pass a motion such as "As councillor; I make a motion that this RM withdrawn its APAS membership"

Its totally probable that one of those councillors is the APAS representative; and gets paid 0.75 dollars per km to go to the APAS convention. Also the per diems involved; and one would hope other meetings and duties for which there is reimbursement.

Now there is such a thing as conflict of interest legislation, disclosure etc. that is intended to prevent clouding public representatives minds when issues arise that may give rise to even the perception that some self serving is involved.

Thus I argue that in the case of the above motion on the table mentioned above...that there should be 6 potential votes cast.

Any abstentions count as negative votes. Any tie vote and the motion is lost too. All motions to be made with affirmative wording. You fellows do realize why that is important (or NOT)

I'm sure the last couple former councillors who responded don't have a clue about any of the above; but of the original seven around the table; and some councillors ignoring the rules and laws; its not a simple matter of the majority of a group of seven passing the motion to get out of APAS
    So Oneoff, I am a member of the budget committee. I get paid per diems for that. So I shouldn't get to vote for the the budget or money related items? Because of your inferred conflict of interest?

What about public works? Several members on that committee. Can't vote to build roads because they may get extra per diems because of the extra work.

I would bet big money that no where does being on a committee or being the representative of council on a committee alone represent a conflict of interest. Its matters of outside financial interests or those of family members etc. that form conflict of interest.

Just to cut to the quick, I have the complete conflict of interest guidelines available and am not going to recite them chapter and verse. So don't bother.

Calling everything a conflict of interest sounds like a perfect way to hamstring municipal government.
    Last edited by LEP; Jun 26, 2018, 07:06.

Comment

Trudeau and his merry gang lead by Freeland and her entourage of millennials(I'm sure y'all have seen the pic of them strutting down the street) have continued to insist that Liberal Party ideas/philosophy are inserted into a new NAFTA. Three in particular are as follows,

1.) Gender and Trans Rights (in liberals minds, there are atleast 30 types of gender.)

2.) Indigenous Rights (as if this privileged group doesn't have enough rights already.)

3.) Environment, which is really about Global Warming Theory and the taxation of non particulate airborne carbon.

How is it surprising that anyone involved in trade negotiating, would take any of that garbage seriously. Yet they insist in forcing their Liberalism into the trade deal.

As far as "dairy" SM, it seems to me that Harper did offer a "sunset" to dairy when they were negotiating the TPP, SM agreeded to accept fistfulls of money in exchange for winding down Supply Management. They was a way, and they(SM) agreed, albeit, costly up front.

Comment

[QUOTE=bucket;381803]APAS needs a lot of work to become a general farm policy group....

It has made zezro difference in making policy better for producers....

I have given up trying to suggest ideas because the first thing they need to know is if your RM is in....[/QUOTE

Tell me what APAS has accomplished?

Comment

[QUOTE=sumdumguy;381872]
          Originally posted by bucket View Post
          APAS needs a lot of work to become a general farm policy group....

It has made zezro difference in making policy better for producers....

I have given up trying to suggest ideas because the first thing they need to know is if your RM is in....[/QUOTE

Tell me what APAS has accomplished?
          They train people how to become saskparty candidates. You have to not say anything against the sask party on rural issues then you pass the test. They are doing a great job at that. For farmers I can't think of any issue such as transportation, pulse fiasco, roundup wheat problem that hey have really pushed or informed the public about. Or for that matter the whole land thing of foreigners. Nothing at all! What would their mandate actually be?

Comment

Listen to the people on here saying APAS has done next to nothing.
            Look at the facts of exactly how many councils are not APAS members.
            Is APAS in the same category as a council budget committee?
            Are there instances where APAS representatives look foward to the free hotel rooms in the big cities for themselves and their wives at convention time? Maybe even planning their getaways around such convention dates?

In short do we get anything substantial for an RM's 5 figures of money for an annual APAS membership that the RM representative may strongly support for what most looks like personal reasons?

Comment

Originally posted by oneoff View Post
              Lets take this again , in baby steps, for those who can count to seven.

In an RM with a full complement of 7 votes; it would normallytakes 4 votes to pass a motion such as "As councillor; I make a motion that this RM withdrawn its APAS membership"

Its totally probable that one of those councillors is the APAS representative; and gets paid 0.75 dollars per km to go to the APAS convention. Also the per diems involved; and one would hope other meetings and duties for which there is reimbursement.

Now there is such a thing as conflict of interest legislation, disclosure etc. that is intended to prevent clouding public representatives minds when issues arise that may give rise to even the perception that some self serving is involved.

Thus I argue that in the case of the above motion on the table mentioned above...that there should be 6 potential votes cast.

Any abstentions count as negative votes. Any tie vote and the motion is lost too. All motions to be made with affirmative wording. You fellows do realize why that is important (or NOT)

I'm sure the last couple former councillors who responded don't have a clue about any of the above; but of the original seven around the table; and some councillors ignoring the rules and laws; its not a simple matter of the majority of a group of seven passing the motion to get out of APAS
              I can see you dont have a clue about any council except maybe your own ,. Our council never had an apas rep from council. Always an independant farmer. Its unfortunate that some councillor done a bad thing to you or someone you love . But i did my time and it was a lot of thankless hours listening to whining pricks that wouldnt put their own name up or do sweet **** all for anyone or the RM
              And for what it is worth i think apas is an absolute joke. I never voted for it ever , but i lost , just so you know , maybe read my post again

Comment

Originally posted by beaverdam View Post
                Trudeau and his merry gang lead by Freeland and her entourage of millennials(I'm sure y'all have seen the pic of them strutting down the street) have continued to insist that Liberal Party ideas/philosophy are inserted into a new NAFTA. Three in particular are as follows,

1.) Gender and Trans Rights (in liberals minds, there are atleast 30 types of gender.)

2.) Indigenous Rights (as if this privileged group doesn't have enough rights already.)

3.) Environment, which is really about Global Warming Theory and the taxation of non particulate airborne carbon.

How is it surprising that anyone involved in trade negotiating, would take any of that garbage seriously. Yet they insist in forcing their Liberalism into the trade deal.

As far as "dairy" SM, it seems to me that Harper did offer a "sunset" to dairy when they were negotiating the TPP, SM agreeded to accept fistfulls of money in exchange for winding down Supply Management. They was a way, and they(SM) agreed, albeit, costly up front.
                Lots of peripheral arguments added here. Beaverdam cut to the chase.

Comment

The problem as the U S sees it is that if you sign on for all these social issues you are not just giving in to what our rainbow-rider sees as all important but they actual have to meet those conditions or they can be used as trade barriers.
                  They are committing their exporting companies to those requirements, not just little political games to win special interest voting blocks.
                  Our exporters are all in the same boat.

Justin's legacy play.

Comment

Trump is using tariffs or the threat of tariffs to negotiate (bully) everyone else into deal that overwhelmingly favours the US.

Harley Davidson said they were going to move some of their production outside of the US to avoid tariffs impacting consumer prices. Trump responds with threats.

Trump is looking at auto tariffs on imports from the EU. Canada may be next. Then it will be agriculture products. This is going to a big mess and may end with a lot of disruption, lost jobs and lost farms.

Meanwhile back on Agriville it is all Trudeau's fault? LOL. Some of you guys are so full of shit it is unbelievable!

Try looking past your hyper partisan, tribal view of of the world occasionally.

Thankfully most Conservative politicians including Andrew Scheer and Doug Ford are willing to stand behind Trudeau on trade issues.

Comment

Hate to have to point out the blatantly obvious Chuck, but since you miss it all the time, the ROW (Rest of World) needs to export more into the US. Guess what, the US gets to make the rules of that game. Stupid Canacks think we are standing up to the US. No, by taking that position, we get our ass kicked as we should. You try to find another market to sell your exports into. Not going to happen. As for HD, they are about as dead as Allis Chalmers in 1985 so will not be around much longer. No one is going to buy an HD made in Taiwan. Might as well buy a Yamaha then. Biggest problem for HD is, know anyone under 40 planning to buy a bike of any brand any time soon? No? I thought so. Guess HD wants to politicize their demise.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                        Hate to have to point out the blatantly obvious Chuck, but since you miss it all the time, the ROW (Rest of World) needs to export more into the US. Guess what, the US gets to make the rules of that game. Stupid Canacks think we are standing up to the US. No, by taking that position, we get our ass kicked as we should. You try to find another market to sell your exports into. Not going to happen. As for HD, they are about as dead as Allis Chalmers in 1985 so will not be around much longer. No one is going to buy an HD made in Taiwan. Might as well buy a Yamaha then. Biggest problem for HD is, know anyone under 40 planning to buy a bike of any brand any time soon? No? I thought so. Guess HD wants to politicize their demise.
                        Agree 110%. Notice in Parliment committee hearings from business owners on TV yesterday than not a single one said they were 'diversifying their markets' to survive US tariffs - as is the usually bullshit Canuck line. Every single one would be bankrupt or have massive layoffs within 1-3 months. Yeah, Canada is really going to school the US on business. I see big increases in EI numbers the next number of months.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...