• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driving today Palliser/Goyder

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GDR your spot on hunger for cropland here in oz people cropping in areas deemed way to dry in the past. And was grazing country only.

Flip side its good for livestock guys less and less acres for animals and sheep flock and cattle flock about 60% of what is was say mid 80s.

When i was up dawsons creek in the peace region i never actually asked but was that traditional livestock country say 30 years ago and cropping has since occured or im wrong?

Didnt venture to far from the ranch think it was south of town about 15 miles and very little crops were i was.
    Last edited by malleefarmer; Jun 19, 2018, 21:45.

Comment

And then there's 4 million plus acres of fertile clay soil right here in Canada that isn't being farmed yet... Land like this...

Comment

http://www.eldersrealestate.com.au/rural/buy/property-cropping-sa-karoonda-707777

This farm i mentioned a few months back sold for $400 per acre had a alot of cooch grass or quack grass you guys may call it, and most said no good for cropping blah blah the buyer my next door nieghbour plans to sow feed on it for stock and graze it, no real intention of making it a cropping block. He got a good buy.

Good cropping land is double that now 750 to 820 per acre for 2t to 2.5 t ha country.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
          And then there's 4 million plus acres of fertile clay soil right here in Canada that isn't being farmed yet... Land like this...

I'm sure they know what they are doing in their soil and climate, but if I took my clay and pulversized it into dust like that, then rolled it, then got rain, I'd have genuine concrete that no seedling could possibly penetrate. I just checked their rainfall, looks like summers are similar to ours, but wetter in fall and winter, for an average of 815mm per year.

Comment

What weather cycles were the respective areas in when Palliser and Goyder saw what they say wasn't fit for grain agriculture?

I think every area has the ability to produce a crop, but I think our expectations for each area might have to be different. I guess what it comes down to is can it be done economically?

I wish I could "consistently" grow 50 bu/ac canola. 60 bushel wheat and peas. 40 flax. I know better, I've been a Slum of tbe Ghetto farmer my whole life...its a bonus if it happens, not a "given"!

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
              What weather cycles were the respective areas in when Palliser and Goyder saw what they say wasn't fit for grain agriculture?

I think every area has the ability to produce a crop, but I think our expectations for each area might have to be different. I guess what it comes down to is can it be done economically?

I wish I could "consistently" grow 50 bu/ac canola. 60 bushel wheat and peas. 40 flax. I know better, I've been a Slum of tbe Ghetto farmer my whole life...its a bonus if it happens, not a "given"!
              Palliser visited during a drought: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.4296/cwrj3104263

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...