• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supply Management or NO DEAL

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supply Management or NO DEAL

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trump-trudeau-supply-management-gig-up-1.4699550 http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trump-trudeau-supply-management-gig-up-1.4699550

and 98% of Canadians will agree with Trump

http://torontosun.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-trump-has-point-on-canadas-supply-management-system http://torontosun.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-trump-has-point-on-canadas-supply-management-system

This is Trump's now too obvious negotiating style of going way over the top then retreating back. Meanwhile, common hardworking folk experience anxiety and market instability.

In terms of dairy, I could be wrong, but I thought there were tariff rate quotas that allowed some imports until the quota was full, then tariffs would apply. I've never heard of the quota filling. 270% right off the hop sounds like one of Trump's routine mistakes.

Also, Trump only mentions dairy. The feather industry is also supply managed, yet no mention. Makes me think he's only playing to voters in the next US election.

I wonder too how the President has the authority to by himself, apply tariffs? He acts like the King, not President of a republic. I thought the US got rid of that governance in 1776?

Comment

When the wheat board was ended the populist notion was that farmers would get better grain movement and prices.
      Some growers thought that gains to us would come from a free trade environment rather than from maintaining a protectionist agency that other countries used against us to support their own protectionist policy.
      Think the same applies for supply management.

Comment

Theres more then dairy in the sights
        The Canadian seed growers should be very very afraid. That's the president of US durum growers association
        Last edited by macdon02; Jun 9, 2018, 15:20.

Comment

Time to blow up the dairy cartel, 270% is outrageous.
          No reason for our plant breeders and seed grower association stopping USA seed from coming into Canada.

Overdue for a major overhaul.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
            Time to blow up the dairy cartel, 270% is outrageous.
            No reason for our plant breeders and seed grower association stopping USA seed from coming into Canada.

Overdue for a major overhaul.
            Then they bid up farmland
            Time for that subsidized eastern canada farming way of life to be gone
            Let them compete on world market like we have to

Comment

Merely a guess but if the 26.5 gets nuked maybe there'll be packers in Canada again..... our protectionism is killing an industry

Comment

I was hoping others would agree that supply management for some is totally unfair for the rest of AG.
                Why are those sectors sacred? We ARE protectionists, hell even between provinces, BEER is special case?
                Time to walk the talk, cancel shit like above and compete like grain and oil seeds, the lowest price is the LAW! And no votes to keep it, just kill the crap like CWB, do what is right and fair and we should all be equal. Compete or DIE we are told. Get big or get out.
                Last edited by fjlip; Jun 9, 2018, 19:46.

Comment

Just another case of the poor helping out the rich.

Comment

As some are starting to figure out, President Trump did not start the trade war, he has merely responded to it. All countries want to export more to the US while having all sorts of protections at home. Not going to work that way any more. It is time to send in the Adult negotiator in and offer something to the US to retain most of what we had going on before.

Comment

I didn't realize we had an adult negotiator ?

Comment

So what do you suppose will happen to all these expensive quotas.
                        Will they go back to where they started FREE.

Comment

Don't need quotas, called free market like grain...

Comment

Just out an hour ago, Trump is PISSED! Dumbo's little new conference after the summit in which he said Canada would not be pushed around. Well that lit the fuse! Trump told his men to withdraw his support for G7 statement and to begin process of putting tarriffs on all Canadian autos.

This is gonna be fun to watch this next month! Little beaver thinks he is more clever than the elephant, but he is going to get his ass flattened.

Comment

Justin and Jerry will have to sit down smoke a joint and try to figure out what their next move will be.

Should be fun to watch!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...