• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Railways , cars, MRE....did farmers get sold out.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Railways , cars, MRE....did farmers get sold out.

ALL of a sudden both railways are buying cars because something changed in C49 in regards to the MRE...

Can someone that celebrated the passage of C49 explain what changed?

BTW would the government of saskatchewan not been a better place to bid to build those railcars if the Sask grain car corporation remained? They are all being built in Ontario...

Somehow I think that farmers are paying for the new cars with the changes but I don't know.

I do know it wasn't that long ago that the railways had no interest in investing in such things and generally railways decisions move slowly....this is quite a reversal....

Did we get ****ed by the changes to C49 and MRE????

Likely a three year payback?

Comment

Well let's do the math....

If each car does one trip a month to Vancouver from midpoint sask. ...12 trips X 100 tonnes X 45$ per tonne X 30 year life span equals a gross revenue for the car of 1.6 million.

In one year it earns 54000 based on one trip per month at the current estimated freight rate....maintenance would be minimal for the first 3 years given that the railways charged farmers for maintenance but never did it....

Pretty good payback for no guarantees of movement .....

And no regulator to monitor it....the CTA gained no authority....stupid....they just rubber stamp freight rate increases based on things like the last labour negotiations. ....increases are coming....

Nothing tied to performance or value .....even ocean vessels have the dry Baltic index to evaluate fair rates .....why is nothing put in place like that.....

No bidding for extra cars in heavy movement????? Or just to develop a proper value for grain movement....

Comment

Lately I've been wondering where my CWB grain cars disappeared to. There are always quite a few Government of Canada grain cars in a unit train; but somebody must have "commandeered" those farmer owned ones. There's no new paint on any of the grain fleet; so did someone just scrap them for cash?.

Did they go down with the ships purchased in the last hours of that sad saga?

Comment

Good question, have not seen CWB lately either, WTF?

Comment

Who bought the cars that haul everything else. Not the govt.

Comment

OK So where did the (farmer's) CWB cars go?

Comment

But the CWB owns its headquarters in Winnipeg. It had ordered two Great Lakes freighters. It also owned some 3,400 rail cars, and Ritz says he's not aware that any have been sold.

December 01, 2014

http://static.producer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/2015-Government-of-Canada-Hopper-Car-report-English1.pdf

http://static.producer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/2015-Government-of-Canada-Hopper-Car-report-English1.pdf http://static.producer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/2015-Government-of-Canada-Hopper-Car-report-English1.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by oneoff View Post
                  OK So where did the (farmer's) CWB cars go?
                  There's hundreds north of Lanigan sitting on an old track (or were, haven't been down that way i na while)

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                    There's hundreds north of Lanigan sitting on an old track (or were, haven't been down that way i na while)
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	9e1cac3ebb72be8c6ba85f28bedcb867.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	766473

Only one of these is a CWB car

Comment

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
                      [ATTACH]2972[/ATTACH]

Only one of these is a CWB car

Yes I know that.

Found it odd last time I went by all the cars there were CWB usually always a mix...

Comment

Just a guess .the bottom one

Comment

Much like the sask grain cars that were recently sold the cwb cars are leased to the railroads. They are free to haul what they like in them.
                          I have seen everything from lentils to corn to feed pellets in them.
                          Railways under this agreement are responsible for the maintance cost of which they do very little. Cars are of the age where major running repairs are required .Cheaper to lease different cars than send these to shop.
                          Last edited by Saskpraireboy; Jun 12, 2018, 17:48. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...