• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QUESTION: In 2018, In Acres, What is a Small, Medium, Large and Mega Farm

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QUESTION: In 2018, In Acres, What is a Small, Medium, Large and Mega Farm

Curious to know what everyone thinks about farm size today and the opinion of the idea size grain farm for a family is in 2018.

Under 1000 you are considered a hobby farmer.

Under 2500 you are an efficient farmer...and a target for being bought out

4000 and you are a target for a buyout or forced to go big.

Anything above its just multiples of the farms of lesser size....

Comment

Mostlyaround here most are 4/600acres,grain a few over 1000,1 feedlot grain silage operation probably in excess of 40.000. Some still run cows 80 to 250 cows mostly 100 /140 and they seem to live quite comfortable, which brings up the question when you get over 1000 who are you working for I know we as stops can't afford the newer bigger equipt but we don't need it to make a living.

Comment

In the seventies when there were lots of farms around here.....there was softball....community...tournaments...etc. ....now it's just desolate and isolated...

But it's easier to see how it happens now looking back....

And it continues to this day...

Mega farms just create transient workers....after watching the trend for 30 years ....I would rather see 5 -150 or 10- 75cow herds than one 750 cattle operation.......

Better community.....
        Last edited by bucket; Jun 2, 2018, 09:58.

Comment

Maybe the better question might be..."how many people does the "farm" need to support"? One, two, or three families and a crew of hired men?

No right answer.

What are you satisfied with?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
            Maybe the better question might be..."how many people does the "farm" need to support"? One, two, or three families and a crew of hired men?

No right answer.

What are you satisfied with?
            Exactly. What is enough to a lot of people, just a little bit more.

Comment

I’m happy at our size couldn’t give a rats ass to get bigger just would some day like to replace the rented land with owned.

That’s 20 quarters or 6 mill should do.

Fu k it a nice golf course and a cold beer and piss on it.

Comment

As you can see the answer is very subjective for the farmer.
                Area, enterprise dependent.
                Better question during anylysis is what the rented to owned ratio is. And what is sustainable.
                0-1 rock solid
                3-1 swamp

Then there is multiples for each machine.

But seriously.
                If you owned free and clear 1500 - 2000 acres here. Your family should want for not.
                The trend that is here. Multigenerational operations going past 10,000 with cautious rented/owned. Reasonable debt even at $4500- $5000/ac.
                Still about 2500 minimum per family.

Very different lifestyle expectations thru the generations tho!!!!

Comment

My father used to say for every 3 acres you own you can only rent one do not exceed that ratio.

No idea if its right or wrong but that was one of his pearls of wisdom

Comment

The answer would have to measured gross sales rather than physical size. The dryland farmer harvesting 15 Bu of wheat per acre every second year would need a lot more acres than the organic producer in a high rainfall area growing hemp.

Here, mixed farms, average size is still probably a 1/4 section. 1000 acres is a big farm around here.

I expect it has a lot to do with the ability to support a farm with off farm income, an opportunity that just didn't or doesn't exist in many areas of the prairies.

Comment

Here it's mostly Greed..
                      One farm around us is the last done seeding/ harvesting..some yrs in the spring when all others are done..Rented another 10 quarters this spring..
                      One group rented land not knowing where all the land was..just so the neighbor didn't get it..
                      Neither are done seeding now..lol..have fun boys..

Comment

IMO, on average half or more of farmed acres are rented near us. According to farm census in Sk, 1449 acres is the average size. That would be us, me wife and sons on some weekends. Darn few that size all around. Young fellows very aggressive/busy/indebted. MNP accountants opinion based on their clients suggests 2500 acres is sweet spot for profitability/viability.But if young go for it, my age did. But agree over 3000 need multiples of machinery/bodies. Costs go way up per acre, so need more acres. 6000 acre neighbor needs the NET income from 500 acres just to pay for hired guys. Like a viscous circle, more acres=more iron=more debt=more risk=more stress. Think hard about what is important in your life, don't just work for iron companies, landlords, input suppliers. Life is short, most important is be happy with less and perhaps simpler lives. Soon to cash out here, 50 years went by FAST.
                        Last edited by fjlip; Jun 2, 2018, 19:41.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                          The answer would have to measured gross sales rather than physical size.
                          Better still measure net returns - the rest is just fluff.

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                          .... Life is short, most important is be happy with less and perhaps simpler lives. Soon to cash out here, 50 years went by FAST.
                          Good advice fjlip!

Comment

Isn’t bigger always better? I know of some farms that arent “farms” anymore. I do admire one of them in what they’ve done but really what’s the point? When is enough, enough? Yes the work gets done but when do you enjoy what you are working for? These operations take an army of men, I have a hard time getting decent guys and couldn’t imagine what these guys go through. To me it’s a headache!! But, neighbours of mine who farm small acres would say same about me.
                            Each to their own but there’s just not enough in it to have a bigger headache.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                              Better still measure net returns - the rest is just fluff.

I know a guy with 800 acres, who probably nets more than many guys with 8000 acres. Gross means nothing. It is all about the net. How you arrive there is up to you. No cookie cutter in farming.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...