• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crop Conditions/Germination issues and uneven fields

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crop Conditions/Germination issues and uneven fields

Crop scouting last night and even on the drive home last night one thing is certain. Crops are very uneven and early seeders have the greatest issues.

Early seeded have three stages and crop development for being in the ground close to a month in our area don't really look special.

Later seeded that caught rain is coming and more even.

Real late seeded are poking out of the ground in 4 days. 5 you have rows.

So what is best, if you have lots of acres you have to go.

But the big issue I see is straight cut canola, come time to harvest this year there will be three to 4 stages and like swathing who or which stage do you spray it dead.

Ah, farming it's so simple anyone can do it.

Green seed could be a problem come fall.

Shrivelled late seed could be an issue in cereals.

Guess what there is nothing you can do its farming.

What are others seeing in their crop emergence?Click image for larger version

Name:	tmekAgj6T4uG5U1gOkRIjA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	778005

Not everyone lives in the monsoon belt. Some of us have to try and take advantage of the limited moisture that is there before the days of +30°, relative humidity in the teens and 50-70 km/hr winds(ALL COMBINED AT THE SAME TIME) suck what little moisture there is from the "seed placement zone".

If anyone can tell me with a high degree of certainty that it will rain in time, no matter what, I will seed canola at half an inch every year knowing the germination promoting rains will be just days away...not weeks.

Cereals and pulses are "almost" fool proof, almost.

Comment

Rain belt all around our yard no rain zone!

Comment

Seeding canola to moisture on May 10th on gumbo was futile imo. Good moisture at any depth just did not exist. Guaranteed myself shitty emergence by going deeper than normal. Dry gumbo is a bugger to get right compared to my lighter ground.
        Last edited by biglentil; May 28, 2018, 07:49.

Comment

Shes comin, needs more rain.
          Last edited by biglentil; May 28, 2018, 11:00.

Comment

The soil was nice and mellow this spring from being able to dry out a little so the crop came up nice and even and we are off to a good early start.

The biggest threat right now is flooding rains which are all around us and keep me tense. If the crop was able to grow for a couple weeks and use some of the water that is in the ground then we might have room for a little rain.

Comment

Absolutely, small crop= potential for more run off, 40% chance of 10mm here nearly every day this week, hopefully not in 10 minutes for whoever gets lucky.

Comment

Things could change around here if we get the rain forecast by the Norwegians which I tend to trust more than the others for precipitation totals. Over 5" by the end of Saturday! - don't want to be greedy but we'd sure take it. They show large amounts for some parts of southern SK too.

Comment

lol no way 5inches maybe 5 mil

Comment

5" total between now and freeze up would be about right, this week and we are screwed.

Comment

If any of you don’t want rain please send to the desert

Comment

We’re at one inch so far since April. Should finish seeding by Thursday.

It can rain then

Comment

6 tenths here , you're pretty lucky . got done may 20th this year , started may 20 th last year. well we cheated actually went to the lake for long weekend (once in a lifetime opportunity, lol) so finished the next day

Comment

Gotta love them Norwegians but 5 inches this week might be a bit much. But then we’d rather lose a few acres to standing water then lose the crop to drought. An inch or so before spraying would be just perfect.

Comment

Really a shower hit at 4:30 i guess we sit for a bit.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...