• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm trucks fuel economy?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 hemi. At 110 kph I get 25 mpg. At 100 kph I get 27 mpg. 8 speed auto transmission. Pulling a fifth wheel cut these numbers in half. I still have lots power but uses lots of fuel.

Comment

Hey Richard5. I'm a fairly small farmer but I have assets in the millions. Why the **** should I have to drive a Yugo?

Comment

You only live once..**** mileage..live life fast..cuz it doesn't last long.

Comment

It's a truck. We buy they for the work they'll do, reliability, performance and comfort. Fuel consumption isn't at or near the top of the list. If we want high mileage we wouldn't likely buy a truck. That said, Subaru really should bring back the Brat, a nifty little AWD pickup that was misery on fuel.

Comment

**** mileage, love those Fords.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
              It's a truck. We buy they for the work they'll do, reliability, performance and comfort. Fuel consumption isn't at or near the top of the list. If we want high mileage we wouldn't likely buy a truck. That said, Subaru really should bring back the Brat, a nifty little AWD pickup that was misery on fuel.
              I think it's the Dodges that are misery on fuel - the Subarus were maybe miserly on fuel Those Subarus were popular in Scotland too where sheep farmers used them to haul bumper hitch stock trailers. If they had the trailer full it was quicker going with a tractor though!

Comment

The last two recent trucks I bought were plain Jane's....2500 Ram w/Cummins is the work horse that has a pretty easy life, basic truck SL model.

The Chev 1500 with the little six banger is the run around truck, sees more kms than the Ram. It's so plain it has crank windows and "linoleum" on the floors, not carpet. And it's a regular cab long box.

Neither truck does much for my ego but I feel the need to perpetuate the stereo-type of farming in the Slum of the Ghetto. I'm so embarrassed I won't put our farm name on them!

I probably only paid a bit more for the two trucks(one brand new and the other only 3300 kms used) than one with all the bells and whistles and the need for a larger hat size to drive it.

Fuel economy?

We're not talking commuter cars are we?

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
                  Hey Richard5. I'm a fairly small farmer but I have assets in the millions. Why the **** should I have to drive a Yugo?
                  Tucker I have no problem with those who can afford it. I have surplus cash in my farm also and could buy if I wanted to. It's the guys with millions in debt that have the best of the best and outside looking in it appears as if they are doing so well.

But when we grow 70% of a crop these are the guys that will be in serious trouble

Comment

We live in truck culture out west. I have several mostly older gas models. They are the most heavily marketed autos and some of the most profitable for the auto manufacturers. But we need to keep the truck and fuel companies in business otherwise our economy would falter.

My teenage son says, dad I want a truck. I say we have several. Only drive them when you need to. Otherwise drive a much cheaper fuel efficient car and invest the savings and you can retire early!

As I have pointed out to family many times, if you happen to get stuck driving in icy conditions you will see the majority of rollovers in the ditch are trucks, full size vans, and SUVs which all have a higher centre of gravity which makes them more prone to rolling. Put a new inexperienced driver on a gravel road in a truck and you risk a rollover.

Son, as long as I am paying for your fuel you wont be driving a truck unless you need it for a good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                      We live in truck culture out west. I have several mostly older gas models. They are the most heavily marketed autos and some of the most profitable for the auto manufacturers. But we need to keep the truck and fuel companies in business otherwise our economy would falter.

My teenage son says, dad I want a truck. I say we have several. Only drive them when you need to. Otherwise drive a much cheaper fuel efficient car and invest the savings and you can retire early!

As I have pointed out to family many times, if you happen to get stuck driving in icy conditions you will see the majority of rollovers in the ditch are trucks, full size vans, and SUVs which all have a higher centre of gravity which makes them more prone to rolling. Put a new inexperienced driver on a gravel road in a truck and you risk a rollover.

Son, as long as I am paying for your fuel you wont be driving a truck unless you need it for a good reason.
                      But you might as well beat your head against the wall, as try to show someone how much it is costing them to drive their pickup everywhere vs. a small car. People who are in true dire straights still insist on driving the pickup an hour each way to work everyday. The comment about retiring early is actually very accurate, when you add up the cost over enough years.

A very common sight around here is two jacked up new chromed out pickup trucks in front of a 50 year of rental mobile home. Priorities.

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
                        You bet spent your own earned cash on what ever you desire, not taking anyone else's money! And oh ya it's a short life, how the f*ck did I get to be 65 already?

Heard last night Ford planning to phase out ALL CARS, only SUV and Trucks are selling/profitable.

Comment

Ford is keeping the Mustang (yay!) and a Focus crossover.

Comment

Maybe true about roll overs on SUV's and trucks.. A fwd car is shitty on gravel to..But in a collision the tiny ass car loses to everything on the road..
                            Calculate the savings on 2 MPG..That is the diff between the Escape we had and the current Explorer we drive..No comparison in ride/quiet..room..and a safer larger vehicle..Nothing to think about for us..

Comment

My tools, run for parts, jumper cables,oil hydraulic. And engine, oddball parts is a 2001 Dodge Caravan. Keeps everything clean and dry. Sometimes batteries.
                              Also a 98 Cheyenne fuel truck.
                              My favourite when I get time will be the1983 F250 with the inline 6

Comment

Farm truck is 2000 dodge with a Cummins 20+ mpg. Small parts pickup is a 07 corvette. 35 mpg, no shit, and gets there fast when no tax collectors on the highway

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...